Supernatural Angel Wing Projector - Very Very Rough Sketch!

Pixels

Okay this is... the world's worst design doodle, ever. It's below stickman-art. Apparently I can't even draw a square in Photoshop, let alone angel wings, so this looks horrible but hopefully it illustrates the idea.

The Idea:

I've always loved this scene from Supernatural:
121vb4n.jpg

And wanted to replicate the effect of the angel wings being shown in shadow. I wanted to use the basic idea behind shadow projectors like these:
v2uuth.jpg

To create the effect, and then try and work it into a stand for the angel blade.

EDIT: Way better idea for the design of this thing here!

With that in mind, this is my very very very very very basic terribly drawn photoshop sketch. Please be kind!

o5c3ue.jpg

Uhmm... yeah. The intended effect would be to see the blade, the plaque, a little backlighting, massive shadowy angel wings on the wall, and not see the candle or the template wings and for it to not look terrible. The plaque will obviously say "I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition."

I could make it out of any material, since LED candles are cold, but cutting the (properly drawn) wings would be something I'd have to send-away to have done.

I have no idea how I'd get it all to stick together and not look terrible. I'd like to encapsulate as much of it as I could, but I'll have to see how that effects the shadow being cast.
I think ideally the wings would sprout right out of the base instead of being on a lame stick thing, and the candle would be in a recessed well so that the light hit at the right angle to make the shadow cast up, big, on the wall behind.

I think the next step is to build a model out of cardboard to see how it actually works, and how far away the candle needs to be, what angle, what size the wings need to be, how much of it I can enclose, etc etc.

All suggestions gratefully received ^^; hopefully without jargon, as this is my first thing ever and I know nothing!

Last edited:
I love the Idea, I have used larger versions of this on stage, a group I work with does Staged Readings of different tv shows and when we need a monster we will use a Parcan on the floor hidden behind something to give the shadow effect. I would love to know how this works out for you.

I love the Idea, I have used larger versions of this on stage, a group I work with does Staged Readings of different tv shows and when we need a monster we will use a Parcan on the floor hidden behind something to give the shadow effect. I would love to know how this works out for you.

Thank you! I'm excited about the idea ^^ just terrified about the implementation!
I love the shadow effect for supernatural things, it kinda implies that the real scary thing is so vast your brain can't totally comprehend it :eek:

You'll need a mor epowerfull light source, LED candles are not very strong.

Okay, thanks!
I have a couple so I'll test but you're probably right. I'll have to look into using multiple LEDs.

I think also if I have a more powerful light, and I angle the wing template then I can probably enclose it all in a box and still have the wings projected up and out.

Awesome idea, I've always loved that Cas quote too!

I bet once you get the angles for the wings display down it will be easy to incorporate into a stand, even if you get an existing one and modify it.

Great idea! You could try a having a custom theatre gobo made once you get your box enclosure angled right. I know nothing about electronics, but could you rig a board of LED's inside the box?

So instead of having that hole for the "candle" have the "box" flush with the back of where the blade goes...or even build it so the base of the stand contains the guts of the lights and just have the back side angled correctly for the gobo (or whatever you end up using) to be inserted.

Oh thank you!

I actually thought of a much better, simpler design that can enclose the whole thing and use a strip of LEDs and an angled cut-out. When I get around to it, I'll update with some stuff when I get chance to build some cardboard models and see what needs to go where :)

Oh thank you!

I actually thought of a much better, simpler design that can enclose the whole thing and use a strip of LEDs and an angled cut-out. When I get around to it, I'll update with some stuff when I get chance to build some cardboard models and see what needs to go where :)

GREAT idea and very creative. :thumbsup

how about using an led push light with a sticker over the glass or perhaps one of the really cheap pocket projectors

cheap option £2.50 (although the pound shop sell em too)
1288614950_61772.jpg

more expensive option £60 (cheaper on fleabay)
this one has built in memory (2gb and rechargeable battery)
353127-392929-290.jpg

how about using an led push light with a sticker over the glass or perhaps one of the really cheap pocket projectors

cheap option £2.50 (although the pound shop sell em too)
1288614950_61772.jpg

more expensive option £60 (cheaper on fleabay)
this one has built in memory (2gb and rechargeable battery)
353127-392929-290.jpg

The pushlight would be cool, but in the new (improved!) design the inside where the light would be won't be accessible, so the light will have to be able to be activated from outside.
The projector is a really cool idea I didn't think of, although I can't afford it.

I'm thinking a strip of LEDs, hopefully some flickering ones.

I was thinking 1 or 2 of these, or something similar. The one linked has 96 LED's and is about 3" tall and 4" long.

I was thinking about this earlier today...what if you used glass from a picture frame cut to size, then use clear inkjet vinyl paper to print your wings on. Apply your vinyl to the glass and you have your "cut out" angel wings.

I was thinking 1 or 2 of these, or something similar. The one linked has 96 LED's and is about 3" tall and 4" long.

I was thinking about this earlier today...what if you used glass from a picture frame cut to size, then use clear inkjet vinyl paper to print your wings on. Apply your vinyl to the glass and you have your "cut out" angel wings.

O.O

I never would have thought of that. That would probably be A LOT cheaper than trying to get the intricate angel wing pattern cut out of metal or plastic.

Sorry, Pobbrett, I didn't see your part about a sticker. Maybe I subconsciously saw it and it gave me the idea for the vinyl sheets, I'm not sure.

But I don't know if those push lights would have enough light for what Pixels wants to do. Plus she said that she would like it to flicker too, which I don't think can be done with those push lights.

I'd try to draw up my new design, but I can't find any free simple 3D modelling software where I can just make an effing cube. It's very frustrating.

Okay instead of a crappy diagram, this time I made a crappy cardboard model to illustrate the new design idea.

It's not to scale or the correct proportions; I'd have to work out what the best angle for the back side is, and where inside I should put my flickering LEDs, and make it wide enough with a large enough top surface to support the angel blade when I get it. But this is the concept:

zyem9u.png

Boring flat front. This would have a plaque for the weapon, show name etc, and on top of it grips to hold the blade on top, like a sword stand.

3586mbr.png

Slanted sides, enclosing the insides and letting the back piece be at an angle.

1441kj6.png

The back. It's slanted at an angle, so that the LEDs inside on the bottom will cast the pattern upwards and behind the unit, not just straight behind. I've used clear plastic with a crappy cardboard cut out of angel wings to simulate having opaque vinyl wings stuck onto glass.

There's a hole cut in the base, to roughly illustrate where LEDs would be. I don't have any atm so I can't test what kind, or whereabouts inside I would put them, but this is the basic idea. Any wires or electronics should be between the flat front and the LEDs so they don't effect the shadow cast. If I make part of the base cut away, I could easily change batteries. If I decide to use mains power then I'll have to cut a hole through one of the sides for the wire.

That's the revised design. Thanks to the great ideas from Pobbrett and Enigma75, I'll try using an opaque vinyl sticker stuck onto a sheet of glass for the back piece. I think a picture frame is a great idea, and hopefully I can use the glass from one or modify one and build it into the design for the back panel (since then I'll have a wooden frame to hold the glass in place as well).

I think I'll make the rest of it out of wood. The sizes will have to wait until I have my angel blade so I can be sure it fits and displays it on the top properly. Now I'll figure out what kind of LEDs I want and how I'll power it :)
I'd like a strip of flickering ones if I can find that.

If you line your box with metallic tape, then use something like this for the light...it has a"flash" pattern. Search for RGB 5050 LED.

Hm, I'd rather have steady light than something that blinks like christmas lights. I have LED candles which flicker, the nice Phillips ones, which is what made me think of it in the first place.

Googling I see a bunch of LEDs with a candle flicker type option: "Candle Flicker" LEDs
for not very much money :3

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back