Supernatural Angel Wing Projector - Very Very Rough Sketch!

Oh, no...it's doesn't flash like that (unless you want it to), what I posted was just an example of the different colors it can produce. Here's a video demo of all they can do. :D

If I do this, I would do the box similar to what you described, line the box with metallic tape, then have a piece of wood in the middle of the box that is maybe 1-2 inches smaller then the width and maybe half the height; and then wrap the LED's around the piece of wood. I liked the slow movement of the LED's so I'd set it up to do that and see how I liked it. As the light snaked around the wood, I think it would give it flickering effect.

Oh I see! It's cool it can do more stuff.

My sister also suggested a candle flicker lightbulb but temperature is a concern if I'm using a vinyl sticker and a small wooden box.

I think I need to get my hands on some lights and experiment. It's good to know the various options available.
The trouble is I'm going to want the strength and size of the shadow to be particular, but most importantly I want to control the position of the shadow, so I think I'll need a very directional light source to control exactly where the shadow is cast. The unit itself will probably be pretty close to a wall and I don't want the shadow to just be small behind it.

I think I need to get my hands on stuff and experiment to see where I need the light to hit the wings in order for the shadow to go where I want, and be the size/strength I want.
I worry that if the inside of the box was metallic, I'd lose the directionality of the light because it would reflect and light up the whole box? But that might not be an issue. I need to test!

This an excellent idea, when (if) I move house and get my man cave I was gonna put a vinyl dark knight wall sticker behind my bat stuff, but know Imma gonna steal your idea for a modified grapplig gun display.
Googling I see a bunch of LEDs with a candle flicker type option: "Candle Flicker" LEDs
for not very much money :3

Most of those LEDs are diffused. These will give a softer/fuzzier shadow than a clear bulb. Think of the difference between opaque house bulbs and the clear ones.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but it will change the overall look of the shadow, so thought I'd throw it in here.

What about re-purposing a bread box? The kind that has the pull up/down lid? Something like this or this? Then you could just cut your hole in the lid, place grooves in the insides of the lid and slide your glass in.

This an excellent idea, when (if) I move house and get my man cave I was gonna put a vinyl dark knight wall sticker behind my bat stuff, but know Imma gonna steal your idea for a modified grapplig gun display.

Most of those LEDs are diffused. These will give a softer/fuzzier shadow than a clear bulb. Think of the difference between opaque house bulbs and the clear ones.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but it will change the overall look of the shadow, so thought I'd throw it in here.

Yeah, I actually like that. I was looking at the warm white ones in particular.
I'm thinking of getting a bunch of regular LEDs, and diffused flickering LEDs, and maybe some strip LEDs, and breadboard and when I actually have the glass and the sticker I can experiment and work out:

a) What angle the glass needs to be at
b) What type/strength of light looks best
c) What type of lights/mix of LEDs I need to use
d) Where the light needs to be, in order to put the shadow where I want it.

The where is most important because I want it up on the wall, not only directly behind the unit, and since I'm particular I think I'll need to test it cause it'll depend on where the unit is too and how close it is to a wall, etc etc! The size of the sticker is going to depend on the size of the glass, the size of the glass is going to depend on the size of the unit, and that is going to depend on the size of the blade.

I'm considering a mixture of flickering LEDs and regular. I also like that using multiple flickering LEDs would make the flicker sort of random since they won't be on the same timing, but I think that'll look pretty cool. I guess I want a slightly candlelit church type feel for it. If it's possible (it'll depend where I can fit LEDs and still have the desired amount of light, I assume) I'd like to have a 3-option switch and have the options be flicker, solid, and off.

What about re-purposing a bread box? The kind that has the pull up/down lid? Something like this or this? Then you could just cut your hole in the lid, place grooves in the insides of the lid and slide your glass in.

Another good idea! I've never seen breadboxes that look like that before.

The size of the unit is going to be somewhat dependent on the size of the blade though. I'll probably want to wait until I actually have it in my hands to work out how big I want its stand to be and where it needs to be supported. But once I know that, I can definitely consider re-purposing a breadbox.

Yeah, I actually like that. I was looking at the warm white ones in particular.
I'm thinking of getting a bunch of regular LEDs, and diffused flickering LEDs, and maybe some strip LEDs, and breadboard and when I actually have the glass and the sticker I can experiment and work out:

a) What angle the glass needs to be at
b) What type/strength of light looks best
c) What type of lights/mix of LEDs I need to use
d) Where the light needs to be, in order to put the shadow where I want it.

The where is most important because I want it up on the wall, not only directly behind the unit, and since I'm particular I think I'll need to test it cause it'll depend on where the unit is too and how close it is to a wall, etc etc! The size of the sticker is going to depend on the size of the glass, the size of the glass is going to depend on the size of the unit, and that is going to depend on the size of the blade.

I'm considering a mixture of flickering LEDs and regular. I also like that using multiple flickering LEDs would make the flicker sort of random since they won't be on the same timing, but I think that'll look pretty cool. I guess I want a slightly candlelit church type feel for it. If it's possible (it'll depend where I can fit LEDs and still have the desired amount of light, I assume) I'd like to have a 3-option switch and have the options be flicker, solid, and off.
I think its a definite case of playing and seeing what works.

In order to place the shadow I imagine a single light source would be easier to direct it. A large block of light in front of the wings will be more difficult to control.

I would try and raise the wings slightly and have the light under it. Using metallic tape, like Enigma75 suggests, might help control it if placed in specific places rather than all over.

In terms of the glass, you can get cheap clear acrylic on ebay, which will be easier to craft into the size you want.

I think its a definite case of playing and seeing what works.

In order to place the shadow I imagine a single light source would be easier to direct it. A large block of light in front of the wings will be more difficult to control.

I would try and raise the wings slightly and have the light under it. Using metallic tape, like Enigma75 suggests, might help control it if placed in specific places rather than all over.

In terms of the glass, you can get cheap clear acrylic on ebay, which will be easier to craft into the size you want.

Well we'll have to see how big it has to be. It would be easier to cut than glass, yeah, but if the size happens to coincide with a common picture frame size, then glass would be easier. I also considered just using a clear sheet of acetate.

The reason I'm going for LEDs or strip LEDs is because they're so short, so I can have them right at the bottom and have the design higher and on an angle, yeah. I want to be able to keep it all enclosed so I think I'll have to use directional light, what height difference I can make without making the unit stupidly huge, and the angle of the glass to achieve the positioning I want. It'll also depend on where I put the unit on my shelves, too, so yeah it's going to come down to testing a bunch of stuff. Strategic use of metallic tape for directionality is a useful possibility, too.
My sister has suggested I might need a lens on the back depending on the scale of the shadow.

It would be easier if I wanted just a crisp shadow, but I want to try and capture the huge, looming, feathery, ethereal feeling that the wing scene had in the show, so I'm keen to find a balance of warm diffused/flickering light and shadow strength and detail.

If I had Batman props to display I would ABSOLUTELY be building a bat signal into them so I'm pleased that you're going to.

It would be easier if I wanted just a crisp shadow, but I want to try and capture the huge, looming, feathery, ethereal feeling that the wing scene had in the show, so I'm keen to find a balance of warm diffused/flickering light and shadow strength and detail.

If I had Batman props to display I would ABSOLUTELY be building a bat signal into them so I'm pleased that you're going to.

If it is easier because the lights themselves are more readily available/affordable, then you you can always diffuse by putting very lightweight paper over the light. Only over LEDs though. Or etching spray/light wet sanding over the glass. Anything that breaks the light up.

Oddly enough, it never occurred to me to do a bat signal, but seeing your diagram on page1 literally put a light on in my head.

If it is easier because the lights themselves are more readily available/affordable, then you you can always diffuse by putting very lightweight paper over the light. Only over LEDs though. Or etching spray/light wet sanding over the glass. Anything that breaks the light up.

Oddly enough, it never occurred to me to do a bat signal, but seeing your diagram on page1 literally put a light on in my head.

Well I hope you post a build thread, so more people will build bat signals!

I've never made anything before so I'm new to all of this but I live alone so there's no one to reign me in and I care a lot about interior decorating so I've been thinking a lot about cool ways to really display and show off the stuff I love and reflect it in the household décor, so my whole house is one huge prop replica display.

For my other supernatural props, I have an idea in my head about putting them on a black opaque material with a complex devil's trap cut out of it, and using hidden underlighting so all the details and the lines are illuminated.
I like lighting.

I just wanted to say Thank You, aside from this being a great idea I have little no experience with lighting and all the suggestions here have been fantastic.

Well I hope you post a build thread, so more people will build bat signals!

Will do. Its officially added to the project list.

I've never made anything before so I'm new to all of this but I live alone so there's no one to reign me in and I care a lot about interior decorating so I've been thinking a lot about cool ways to really display and show off the stuff I love and reflect it in the household décor, so my whole house is one huge prop replica display.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Between lack of display and suitable workshop space I struggle to get anything done. Add wife and baby to take up spare time its a near mission impossible. We're looking to move and display room/mancave and attached garage are high on the list. Then just try and stop me!

For my other supernatural props, I have an idea in my head about putting them on a black opaque material with a complex devil's trap cut out of it, and using hidden underlighting so all the details and the lines are illuminated.
I like lighting.

I was thinking about this. If you used a clear acrylic and primed and matt black painted it, you could score the devils trap out of it. Then the underlighting should come through the now clear lines quite well and give some clear definition of the design.

What if you could make a small version for on your back with staps. So a light with some kine of lens to enhance the effect and the wings. In a half lit room it could be possible to get a half shadow ( aura thingy) and in a darkish room you could get the full light and angel wings. Does enyone know a strong ( and cheap ) enough option .
( btw sorry if I am hijacking your thread, it was just an idea)

What if you could make a small version for on your back with staps. So a light with some kine of lens to enhance the effect and the wings. In a half lit room it could be possible to get a half shadow ( aura thingy) and in a darkish room you could get the full light and angel wings. Does enyone know a strong ( and cheap ) enough option .
( btw sorry if I am hijacking your thread, it was just an idea)

I think that would be do-able. There are some quite powerful led bike lights out there, Cree for one.
With it being a worn item, there is the potential too hide a power source in a back pocket or belt pouch.

The main problem would probably be how bulky and fragile the light unit would be on your back.

The main problem would probably be how bulky and fragile the light unit would be on your back.

What if you made it in a small flat backpack like case? I am not good with electronics but it think it might be possible to fit a light source a lens ( of a overhead projector maybe ) and a wing pattern in one small flat case

I think you'd be better off making two, one for each wing. Wings usually extend from the shoulder blades so there's no need for anything right across your back imo.

If you had one for each wing, you could use a pair of pose-able spotlights with whatever kind of light diffusion over the light you wanted, to cast the shadow exactly where you wanted.
Or you could mount two small pose-able projectors like the sort that was linked earlier and project a dark image onto a light surface.

Started to play around with this tonight.

1st I drew (badly) and cut out a pair of angel wings, taped them to a cocktail stick and blue tacked them to the floor.

Then placed my bike light behind it about 2-3 inches away. I propped it up on a box so as to cast the shadow up the wall

This is what I got

The set up was about 10 feet from the wall. I found that because the beam of my torch was so narrow I had to be at some distance to get the spread of the wings across the wall. But an effect was possible, albeit much less defined and without the whole image being cast.

I'm sure this would be fixed with a wider beam of light, so there shouldnt be too many problems when building it into the back of a wide display box. I think the angel blade is about 14" long, so a wide scope is well acheivable there and you should be able to get it much nearer to a wall and get a really good effect.

Then, coz I couldn't resist, I went all heavenly.

Looking at Mathew's wearable idea, I think maybe a flat led spread, with some kind of lens and wings placed on the lens might work to a certain degree. Especially as you have options to hide a power source, cable and switch under a Castiel overcoat and the unit itself could sit under a cut out flap in the back.

Have you considerd an LED light bulb, such as this,

These arn't super bright, but I think its probably bright enough for what you wanna do. There are a few differnt types that are linked to in the listing as well.

Just tried my idea but I need a light which is smaller, has a broader beam ( because the wings are broad and which is easy to operate, for example with a switch or a click light

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back