How do I acheive white eyes in batman cowl?

bigtrev503

I recently ordered a reevz hush cowl in black. I have seen a few people pull off the white eye effect in their cowls. Sometimes it looks good and sometimes it looks not good.

I have been obsessing over this idea for a long time. How should I do it?

I was thinking this: take reflective mirrored sunglass lenses, use black see through material and cut the almond eye shape from the middle then use a thin see through white fabric for the little almond in the middle to acheive a "floating" white eye that doesn't fill the whole space of the eye opening. All three layers sandwiched together and held with some kind of clear drying spray adhesive.

My question is about adhesives. Is there a spray adhesive that dries clear?

I am considering doing this with my deadpool eyes as well. Mirrored lenses with thin wedding veil type material glued over. Kind of a similar idea to the raimi movie lenses for spiderman.

Would this work?

I have been researching "white eyes" so much that everything is purple when I google it. I've found everything there is about it, and this concept I just came up with sounds good. I will experiment with it when the cowl arrives.

Layered lenses

base: mirror lens

middle: black see through stuff

top: very thin white see through stuff that, by itself, would show the eyes in pictures

all stuck together somehow

ive seen a few use just spray painted the mesh in a window screen and spray glue them to the inside and it worked surprisingly well

dead pool costumes have white nylon lyca so thats another option

When it comes to cosplay, photos are probably the most important aspects of it. they immortalize your costume and show every little flaw. The mesh does seem like the logical option but, my concern is about what happens when someone takes an up close high res picture under bright lighting. The holes, even if they're really small, become visible and ruin the effect. Therefore, mesh is completely out the window. If you look at "the real deadpool" on facebook, one of his early photos is of him admiring himself in the mirror. His eyes look like football jersey material. Totally ruined it for me.

My challenge is to find a solution that looks bright, solid white. Even up close. Yet hides the eyes and provides the best visibility for the wearer all at once. Which is how I came up with my layered idea using the same tech as spiderman movie lenses but without mesh involved.

Go the TDK route and go Iron Man style for the eyes.

It'll be a challenge to set up, but it'd look pretty awesome when it's done.

Chris

I seriously was thinking the EXACT same thing after watching TDK again the other night. The black slit under the light would serve as the black floating space around the eye that I was talking about. Only problem is the lack of free space for electronics in a cowl as opposed to, say, a stormtrooper helmet which has room for fans, lights, bluetooth. All kinds of crap.

So, yeah. I would, but I don't think there's enough room for that to work. Plus having those electronics smashed against your face and sealed in tight rubber just screams "electrocute the heck out of your eyeballs" to me.

Mesh or white fabric are usually the way to go, perhaps in conjunction with a lens. Just get a mesh with a properly tight weave: here's what a double layer of mesh from a kitchen splatter screen looks like:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/A Symbiote Spider Suit/DSCF2637_zps257e7064.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/A Symbiote Spider Suit/DSCF2473.jpg?t=1358285690

I have about 90% visibility with this setup. Going for anything more opaque-looking and you will be guaranteed to have trouble seeing out of it. Also, if you have a physical smooth lens that close to your face, they will often fog up and prevent you from seeing. The open mesh avoids both of these issues, it's very practical and looks good.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/A Symbiote Spider Suit/DSCF2466.jpg?t=1358285473
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/A Symbiote Spider Suit/DSCF2470.jpg?t=1358285549

You might be interested in how this gentleman made his mask:
http://www.therpf.com/f13/deadpool-mask-movie-quality-175235/

I've always thought black eye makeup with black sclera/mirrored contacts or even just plain mirrored contacts(Riddick, The Shadow) would look best. The cover of Nightwing #59, which I use for my avatar, has this look to a degree. Not cheap but it would give expression and have the right look.

NIGHTWING_59_J.G._Jones.jpg

http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/data/media/195/NIGHTWING_59_J.G._Jones.jpg

mirrored_black1.jpg

Mirror-contact-lenses1.jpg

White contacts could work but they still have a small black pupil opening. Pretty sure that's what they used in Batman Dead End.

batmandeadendbatman.jpg

Last edited:
I like the doubled up splatter screen look. I can see holes in some of your up close pics though..

As for that Deadpool thread, that's how I'm gonna do my Deadpool mask as well. Totally borrowing the idea from him!

I made a faceplate thing to wear under my cowl that has white mesh glued to it. I didn't glue it to the mask itself so that I can swap it from mask to mask.

PeQwZ2dl.jpg

qA4JfM4.jpg

That faceplate idea is genius! I was actually toying with the idea of doing something like that using this mask:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BLANK-EXPRESSIONS-MALE-CHROME-MASK-ADULT-HALLOWEEN-COSTUME-ACCESSORY-ONE-SIZE-/00/s/OTAwWDY2MQ==/$T2eC16F,!ysE9sy0gGQQBQ(38-JObQ~~60_35.JPG

I also plan on using this for my Deadpool mask for the exposed black parts of the mask. Much like the build posted earlier, but with a single layer of white fabric where the eyes are and the rest painted black with plasti dip.

Just an idea I'm toying with but I need to figure out some sort of spray adhesive that dries clear. I'm thinking of testing it on cheap mirrored sunglasses to see if it'll work before cutting into or painting the chrome mask. I already ordered one for my Deadpool mask but based on that guy's faceplate I may get another one for the bat cowl.

I think that mask could be perfect. I used a foamie sheet just because it holds the cowl away from my eyes a bit and also keeps me a bit cooler than I was when it was latex stuck my forehead. You could definitely find a better material than I used for the actual lenses though. All I used was some gauze bandage.

That window stuff could be perfect. You'd just have to cover the back side so that the stickiness doesn't pull out your eyelashes lol

oh yeah! that would be a good idea. A guy over on the brotherhood of the bat just made an awesome cowl that he sculpted to fit a pair of sunglasses underneath. it worked quite well.

Any reflective lenses, like sunglasses, look ok in person but when you take a pciture of them they look black. I'm shooting for a white eye effect that looks bright white from any angle and in all pictures.

You can get white car window tint film, buy a roll, cut out what you need stick it on clear plastic to make it firm. cut the rest of the roll into squares sell the left overs to make your money back.

Ok, after all the googling and research and scratching my head, I've realized the old adage "keep it simple stupid" applies to just about everything.

:facepalm

I was just obsessing about it, thinking I was going to make a complicated lens with multiple layers and paint, and mesh and plastic. Then I actually asked someone what they used... I found this guy in Reevz's pictures on FB.

dwightscowl_zps2741df91.jpg

:love

I PM'd him about his white eyes and guess what? It's just some mesh from a zentai spider man costume! And it looks amazing! It hides his eyes completely and seems to light up white when photographed with flash. It's perfect. Only thing is, I don't have a zentai Spiderman costume.

Therefore, I am going to be the biggest creeper in the whole world and go to the women's clothing section at the store and open up some pantyhose and look through them to test their opaqe-ness. Then have someone take pics to see if my eyes can be seen in photos.

White eyes for my batman = about a dollar

The looks on people's faces when I hold up pantyhose to look through them = priceless! :lol

EDIT: I think Reevz's Hush-style cowl is the only one with eye holes that are shaped just right for this method. ANy other cowl would require the use of sharpie around the border of the eye hole to make it look right and avoid looking like you're constantly very surprised, shocked Batman.

It depends on what you want.

Go the Iron Man Route (use white and clear lens)
Pros: It's the most accurate to the source material. Having LEDs installed would give you the option of having glowing eyes whenever you feel like it.

Cons: Being able to see the slit at the bottom that's required for you to see. You could possibly cover this up by wrapping a white (or black) stocking around your eyes.

Finding a mask that has just the right eye hole shape. There's really only one that I've seen out there and that's Reevz666's Hush Cowl. I'd love to see him make a Capullo cowl (as seen in the picture on the bottom of my post). That has just the right shape for the lens, in my opinion.

As for the LENSES of the ironman , we used hard transparent and white plastic and connect with 2 white LED bulb , battery operate.

DSC00502.jpg

DSCN9269.jpg

DSCN9231.jpg

some display picture :

DSCN9260.jpg

DSCN9287.jpg

Zentai Spider-Man/White Stockings look
Pros: Looks great in pictures and you can see.

Cons: Might not look as great in person. Again - you must have the right eye shape built in the cowl or go the route that harzzle did.

Contact lenses
Pros - You can show emotions with your eyes.
Cons - It's completely inaccurate. Batman's eyes don't magically turn white when he puts on the cowl. His lens are built just like Iron Man's are.

2168394-batman_05_rizz3n_pg13_super.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back