Judge Dredd (2012) Costume Help/Build

My boyfriend and I want to try to make the costumes for Dredd and Anderson from the 2012 film adaptation. However, we have NO idea where to start!

Neither of us have made costumes before, so we're complete newbies when it comes to this kind of stuff. I' somewhat of a DIYer, but only if I know what I'm doing and have the tools to do it. Haha.

Anyone out there ever work with motorcycle armor or police armor, or know where we can get some? It seems like most of their costumes are some kind of armor and leather. I've never sewn anything using those materials either.

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. :angel

I've never molded anything before either, but would be open to sculpting and molding the belt buckles and nameplates. I wanna try to make as much of the costume as I can before I resort to buying "replica" pieces that could look a bit on the cheesier side.

Thanks in advance! :$

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on choosing costumes from what i feel was THE most underrated film of last year!!!
People here are very friendly, supportive and downright decent.
I'm underway on my Dredd build so good luck to you both:)

Firstly welcome , you'll find a lot of reference here ,do a lot of searches and print out many reference photographs , then decide if you are going to build from scratch , skin out or buy in many of the bits and pieces you'll need to finish the costume . I'm also putting together a costume now as well , and striving to make it as screen accurate as possible. Do your research twice , as this will determine what you can and cannot build yourself ( also price comes into this have a budget set and stick to it ) costs can run away with themselves.

Break the costume down , in to sections /pieces , Helmet , inner jacket , inner pants, vest collar armour badge, belt , gloves boots and accessories
The jacket and pants being leather in the film will cost the most to make/buy
to be accurate the jacket has both the eagle and the badge wet embossed on the shoulders (if you know what this means) then you could go ahead and make them . if not and you cant afford to get them made , go for overall style and buy a cheap set of black motorcycle leathers . Repeat this approach with each part and you'll soon know if you are going to create something out of nothing or buy in what other have already made . Not wanting to dissuade you but if you're a novice , then try to get some help/advice from someone who has experience - watch the videos , read the build logs etc. My best advice is to use the Pepakura files - japanese paper craft as this will show you how to model a 3D object out of a 2D paper sheet , and its fairly easy like a giant jigsaw puzzle made out of paper!! and its fun too!!! But do research , cost and buy well and do try to build some bits , you might get hooked on the hobby !! I know I did nearly 40 years ago and I am still involved and still building and probably will be when they come to nail the lid down !!

Yeah, i've already set a limit on my budget, It wont be dead on balls accurate though, mainly due to financial reasons but I think it'll be close, especially for my first attempt.
I've done a lot of searching on here for parts enc and I have a folder on my desktop full of pics :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back