The Definitive Dredd 2012 Glove Research Thread

Well, in the interest of actually building some content, I'll post up what information I have:

The gloves available from Leathernext are very nice, but have some notable differences from the film-used gloves, such as the particular shape and texture of the knuckle carbon-fiber pads, the shape and placement of the finger vents, and the material for the thumb pad.

As it turns out, the finger vents (and probably knuckle plates) on the original gloves were taken from this glove: Amazon.com: O´Neal Butch Carbon glove black: Automotive

I am in the process of modifying my Leathernext gloves to be more film accurate by swapping the vents and knuckles out. Pictures to come when I have that done.

In the meantime, I found that plastidip spray is a good solution for the thumb metacarpal pad.

Here is an image of the thumb pad after being roughed up with sandpaper and several light coats of plastidip:

WIP update: Here I sit with the O'Neal gloves, tearing apart this fresh, unused pair so I can use their parts for my frankenstein gloves. More pics to follow as I get the new parts mounted.

Side by side knuckle comparison:

After modifying the Leathernext Mk 2 gloves with the parts taken from the O'neal butch gloves, you can end up with this:

I am still trialling fixes for the stitching holes left by the previous finger vents, but they are pretty much invisible unless you are really close to the glove.

Last edited:
Migrating some glove info over to here from the Facebook Dragon Con group:

I own a pair of the production-used gloves (from the propstore auction). Both of the pairs sold by propstore appear to have been background or stunt gloves (but it's hard to say for certain).

I have a pair of Oneals in hand as well. The Oneal finger vents are definitely accurate for Dredd's gloves, however, it appears that for some of the background and stunt gloves (such as the ones I have) they used castings of the vents and not the original pieces from the Oneals. For example, mine have vents that are all four the same size. But the Dredd gloves have two large vents for the middle fingers and two smaller vents for the outside fingers (which matches the Oneals). Another case of screen-accruate Urban/Dredd-getting better gear than some of the other judges.
The size of the vents on my stunt gloves is slightly different, probably from being cast and recast (they are inbetween the size of the small ones and the large ones).
(My Oneal finger vents measure a little over 2cm for the small, and a little over 2.5cm for the large. My production-used glove vents measure a little under 2.5cm for all four)

In addition, Dredd (and presumably Anderson's) gloves contain some extra leather ribbing or padding on the palms. I don't know that it is on any of the other Judge's gloves, but it definitely isn't on the two pairs that Propstore sold. There seem to be several instances where Urban and Thirlby's costumes got a little extra attention vs. some of the others.

The knuckle armor on the Propstore gloves is different as well. The Urban gloves have pieces that look exactly like those from the Oneals (and were perhaps simply ripped out of a pair of Oneals for use.)

Tvayumat and Max Replica

Thanks for the info on modding up the Leather Next Dredd Gloves. I just got mine today and they are great, but could be better. They also just posted up a newer version of the Dread Glove (3 Days after I purchased mine!!!). However they we unwilling to trade or refund me the $30 that I over paid since now the gloves I ordered have been discounted. Super lame, they did say that they would take it off the $30 if I ordered a full dread Leather Outfit. Needless to say they won't be getting anymore of my money.
Max Replica is it possible to take a few closeup pics of the the gloves for comparison?
Thanks again to you both for the info.

Tommyzombie

Tvayumat and Max Replica

Thanks for the info on modding up the Leather Next Dredd Gloves. I just got mine today and they are great, but could be better. They also just posted up a newer version of the Dread Glove (3 Days after I purchased mine!!!). However they we unwilling to trade or refund me the $30 that I over paid since now the gloves I ordered have been discounted. Super lame, they did say that they would take it off the $30 if I ordered a full dread Leather Outfit. Needless to say they won't be getting anymore of my money.
Max Replica is it possible to take a few closeup pics of the the gloves for comparison?
Thanks again to you both for the info.

Tommyzombie

Truth be told, I think you're better off with the gloves you've got!

The Generation 3 Leathernext gloves have some improvements (notably the finger greeblies) but the knuckles and thumb pad are still fairly inaccurate. They went with a teardrop shape on the knuckles and a mostly white weave for the carbon fiber, then put what looks like the same pad on the thumb. Why? I'll never know.

You'll have a closer to accurate glove if you take your current generation 2 gloves, buy some of the O'neal butch gloves, and take to modding them.

Posted this up on the FB group and posting it here, since many are referring to the glove greeblies as "vents".

I'd like to clarify some terminology with the Dredd gloves now that I have several of the accurate pieces installed

The rubber dealies on the first knuckle of the Dredd gloves are not vents of any sort, they are solid rubber, apparently intended to put some extra material between your soft flesh and potentially injurious contact.

There are no vents beneath them, they are not hollow, and they are incapable of directing airflow OR ventilating anything.

This isn't a particularly important detail, I'm just throwing it out there so we are all as informed as possible.

Love the killer gloves. Suggestion regarding filling the extra holes......spackle.:lol No, seriously, I have had some success filling misplaced stitch holes by using a product called Liquid rubber. A thick acrylic artist's paint, the kind in tubes, will also work to help conceal the holes. I would caution that nothing will make them disappear entirely. If you try the material I suggest, experiment on a piece of similar leather to which you've added stitch holes. If it looks like "good enough" when you test it, I advise trying the application from the inside or wrong side of the glove. Put a dab on a tongue depressor stick (aka, craft stick, popsicle stick, etc..) apply the small dab to the inside of the holes. A small amount may ooze through the holes...if you use the right amount, having tested it on your sample piece, the "ooze" should be minimal , like a tiny bump. Prop the finger open with an item like a thimble, without pushing it into the wet patch area, to prevent gluing the finger closed. Let the material dry. Now you can ignore the bump if shrinkage has made it minimally obvious, or you can carefully trim it flush with the leather with a scalpel tip. The only other thing I can advise, and I may not be as concerned about exacting appearance as you, is to cut out a piece of very thin glove leather from some old gloves, in an oval shape. (you can stitch around the oval before you cut it out.) Then glue the patch over the offending area. It will look like it is meant to be there. I guarantee you will be the only one who knows. I've seen the movie multiple times and without the shots of your gloves, I'd never know about most of the details you've revealed. After doing costuming for over 40 years, I can promise that, apart from you knowing that detail, it is doubtful , even if you ask another Judge, "What looks wrong about my gloves?", you may get an answer, but it probably won't be about the patch. By the way, if you are that much of a stickler for 100% accuracy, May I suggest a leather tailor who can replicate them without the holes......that will certainly cost ya.:p ps: if your gloves are lined, and you can't do the patch inside, use a toothpick on the outside. It is a touch fussier that way.:)

Thanks, Ray!

I ended up picking up a No-Heat leather repair kit that worked perfectly for the stitching holes. I used a method very much like what you describe, using a soft PVA type glue and scraping it over the holes and wiping the excess. After five or six applications the holes were filled and I put a black shoe cream overtop to color.

Now you can barely tell they were ever there!

I am a stickler for accuracy where I can get it, but it's for me rather than for observers, you know? As for custom tailored gloves? That may happen yet. Not before Dragon Con but when I can afford it.

Just a note to say that Leathernext has told me that they no longer have any of the V1 or V2 Dredd gloves left. The current Version 3s are the only ones you can buy from them now.

Just a note to say that Leathernext has told me that they no longer have any of the V1 or V2 Dredd gloves left. The current Version 3s are the only ones you can buy from them now.

At a loss as to why leathernext version 3 so different from those used in the film? A lot of money for an inaccurate glove, scratch build it is!

At a loss as to why leathernext version 3 so different from those used in the film? A lot of money for an inaccurate glove, scratch build it is!

All the info that they had was based on the intel and few pics avail at the time provided by RPF and Dredd FB Group members. There is a new V4 more accurate set in development now thanks to updated info that has been shared.

Tvayumat,

I was wondering how you 'tailored' the gauntlet for the 'Comm Display' (mobile phone). And are you planning on adding a 'real' screen in there?

Matthew

Version 5 out now and awesome... The carbon fibre knuckles should be darker but awesomeness!!! They discounted postage for a promo after I ordered mine then delayed sending mine due to Easter hols but no discount for me... (only negative)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back