Yet another version of Thror's Map

bookface

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I've done a version of this map from the book, because I quite liked the stylised look of the mountain, but the movie version is also really cool, and it got me to thinking, why not do another one? In fact, why not do another one, but do it as authentically as possible? Since I already used ink dip pens to create my first version, how can I go one better?

The answer: Parchment. Not parchment paper, but parchment, also known as vellum, made from tanned animal hide. Do you know how few people in the world make real parchment anymore? Not many, I can tell you. So I ordered some (not cheap either, apparently), and it arrived. It is beautiful. The look and feel are so far above any kind of paper it's unreal, and I work part time at a fine art printers. I'm a paper geek. Nothing I've come across holds a candle to this stuff.

So nervously, because man I do not want to screw this up (did I mention that a 16" x 12" piece costs £60?), I made a start. Here's where I'm at...

Out-freaking-standing!

I have read The Hobbit, and the LOTR trilogy, probably every other year since I discovered them in high school (I'm 48 now). I love them, and that map is looking perfect. Exactly as I'd picture the real thing.

Thanks guys! I'm tracing in pencil first, as I really can't afford any mistakes on this. Going to do a little more this afternoon!

So here's todays progress, next thing to do will be the Dragon, and the runes. Still undecided if I want to put the moon runes on it somehow, whether with a silver ink or something else. Opinions?

After some experimentation with some silver ink today, I think I'm going to go with that. UV ink is cool, but unless you have a blacklight to view it, kind of pointless. I guess knowing it's there is cool, but you'd still want to see it sometimes. The silver ink worked really well because in certain lights it was almost invisible.

So here's the finished article. I'm really happy with how it turned out. The parchment has an amazing depth to it that makes the whole thing look really rich. The photo was just taken on my phone, so I need to get some better ones tomorrow, but the silver ink almost seems to be floating on the surface. Also, when you put it on the wall, it's not immediately obvious. Only when you look at it more closely do you notice the 'moon runes'.

What do you all think about tearing up the edges a little?

Would love your comments!

Last edited:
So here's the finished article. I'm really happy with how it turned out. The parchment has an amazing depth to it that makes the whole thing look really rich. The photo was just taken on my phone, so I need to get some better ones tomorrow, but the silver ink almost seems to be floating on the surface. Also, when you put it on the wall, it's not immediately obvious. Only when you look at it more closely do you notice the 'moon runes'.

What do you all think about tearing up the edges a little?

Would love your comments!

How much do you want for it?

:love

The silver ink looks really nice... it has a very "moonlit" quality to it. Overall the map looks amazing--very nice attention to detail.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back