firefly guns show off no more question

tgreco

Sr Member
alrighty then

so I got my mal and jayne guns all finished, and I set them up in shadow boxes, only to find out that Mal's safety bumps the glass... so while Jaynes is all set up and mounted on the wall, Mal's has been relegated to one of my big display cases (and Jayne's may join it, I don't know... )

I really wanted them to be more of a themed display, so I'm a bit disappointed about having to take it out of the shadow box

I'm pleased with how they both turned out, but the safety already had to be repaired twice and I'd hate for it to pop off a couple weeks from now while hanging on the wall

so now I'm wondering, where can I find an acrylic gun stand that I've seen others use?

anyway, here's the pics of them just before they were popped into the glass cases

firefly-jayne.jpg

the blue on Mal's gun is a reflection from the TV...

Beautiful displays and paint jobs. Is Jayne's gun resin or metal? :confused

Would you be able to shave the edge of the safety back just a bit so that it's away from the glass or it is too fragile from the repairs?

they're both resin, Jayne's is the one offered by jmtwo, and mal's is the version phillipes was offering

unfortunately, it's too fragile
the repair can be hidden fairly easily as it's right under the thumb piece on the safety, but it pops off with the slightest pressure

I bought these mounts for the shadow boxes from a company called mighty mounts, and they're nearly invisible (clear lexan) but they hold the guns a good inch away from the backing

I wouldn't be so quick to surrender, but like I said, it's already popped off twice just trying to put it in the shadowbox frame, and rather then screw up the piece I'd like to display it safely

I have the same gun from Phil, and was planning to cut the safety off and glue it in the "down" position (I believe the lever is actually for helping to hold the side plate on).

Did it break off on yours, or was there some ofther problem in that spot?

it broke off right under the thumb plate, but it was when I had put it in the shadow box ( I didn't realize there was no clearance left after the mounting)

so it's not a problem with the cast, it was just me not paying attention when I got excited about wrapping up the project...

Looks pretty good. Can you just make the shadow box a little deeper?

Also, do you have gold paint on the top part of the grip on Jayne's gun?

well, I could but the next size up gets bigger as well as deeper...
I didn't want to sacrifice that much wall space

it's brass rub n buff actually
I had seen a picture that it looked different from the grips so I did it in brass...hopefully over time it will tarnish and become a bit more brown

well I never did find out where to buy a stand
(well at least not one that was either plain jane... or unbelievably expensive)

so I did the only thing I could think of...

I built one:

malgunwithstand.jpg

enjoyed it so much I'm doing another one for my BSG gun...
just got to finish hammering out the look for the barrel prop

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back