Cutting a long curve in styrene

Tatooine_Todd

Sr Member
I've decided to scratch build some diaorama pieces for a Ma.K. build that I'm currently doing. I've never scratch built before and need to get some tools.

What is the best tool for cutting a long 7-9" curve in a sheet of styrene? I am concerned that a hobby knife would not give a nice clean cut on something that long.

Its not quick but the best way is to cut outside of the curve, in the area you don't want, then trim/sand/file it down to the curve you want.

Cut a cardboard template with scissors. Using a pin in a pin vise or similar holder (I use a pin on a dowel) score a groove on the styrene with several passes. After which it's easy to cut with the xacto knife with a couple passes.

Last edited:
I use the back edge of an exacto blade (doesn't tend to wonder as much and removes material) or a compass tip in a metal tube/handle.

Depending on the curve shape you may get away using a French Curve to run the tool against, some found object or as mentioned a piece of cardboard cut to shape.

Remember that once scribed you can flex and snap the styrene so you don't have to cut all the way through.

Invest in a set of "French Curves" they are like 4 to a set with different sizes of curves very handy for stuff like this.

The one I have is the least expensive Epilog and was $10k, but I got a good one. Heard too many horror stories about the Chinese ones.

I usually will cut the pattern i want out of 1/8 or 1/4 MDF on the bandsaw, clean it up with sand paper or a file to get exactly what i want, then use that as a guide. It especially works great if you have something that has a right and left that need to be the same. Also if i make a mistake and need to go back one step the pattern is durable.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back