The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Costume Reference Pics

Not only could I not pull off the Andrew Garfield spider suit at the time the movie came out, but I didn't like the suit either.... But now that these images have been released and I'm in good shape, I will most definitely be making the suit (once someone makes dye sub file that is!)

Interesting find: the bricks on the red section appear flat, but the blue sections seem to have a 3-Dimensional brick pattern.

Looks like you puff painters will still have some work!

So far, the webbing pattern, the top of the arm, and the top of the chest are all different shapes than the Raimi suit, even if they are close.

...if this is real it shouldn't be too hard to work up this pattern in a night or two. (Once we have more reference)

-Nick
That's because from the looks of it, the webs could be puff painted too... They are very round and flat instead of the square and tall shape that the taiko suit had.

A better way to do those webs would probably be a squeeze bottle of silicone, rather than puff paint, which early Raimi replicas have shown will cause cracks.

That way you'll get the stretch necessary and the rounded shape.

-Nick

A better way to do those webs would probably be a squeeze bottle of silicone, rather than puff paint, which early Raimi replicas have shown will cause cracks.

That way you'll get the stretch necessary and the rounded shape.

-Nick

I didn't even think of that... That would be awesome!!!

New shot of the 2nd films costume design:
hr_The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2_1_zps3380e4d5.jpg

Exclusive First Look at the New Spider-Man Costume! | Superhero Hype

........and the ASM threads explode lol

Inthinknthe new suit is a photoshop. Can't trust that website it was only a week or so ago they ran a story on the 3d render Distudios did for me as real and from production.

There are spy shots from the set that confirm that this suit is being used for filming...so photoshop or not, it looks like this is the suit for the next movie...at least in some capacity.

-Nick

Wow...interesting choice here...super comic-book-looking. The belt area is there, front and back. Rich red and non-shiny textures on the glove...raised webbing like the raimi...I can't help but to still feel we're getting punked here LOL...What if this is famous-Spidey, key-to-the-city-type suit. Kid friendly and stuff? Like when Captain America was entertaining the troops type thing? Is that too much of a stretch story-wise? Probably.

I feel like this is another re-boot almost...crazy

Last edited:
I think those low quality pics don't do the suit's webbing, textures or the just overall design any justice. I really dig the bigger eyes but I don't know why they departed SO much from the TASM suit. Like this almost feels like more of a successor to the raimi suit. I would've preferred it without the raised webbing.

Wow...interesting choice here...super comic-book-looking. The belt area is there, front and back. Rich red and non-shiny textures on the glove...raised webbing like the raimi...I can't help but to feel we're still getting punked LOL...What if this is famous Spidey key to the city type suit. Kid friendly and stuff? Like when Captain America was entertaining the troops type thing? Is that too much of a stretch story-wise? Probably.

I was thinking something similar actually...trying to rationalize the choice. Like: "Hey, maybe a local news show or online video network wants to create a Cops-like show around Spidey, but they don't think his outfit is appealing enough, so they create a new one for him."

...It modernizes the origin of the costume a bit, (Video blog/news show instead of wrestling) could have him more involved with modern journalism (AKA blogging) than the traditional route of just having him be a photographer.

...but that's probably just my brain making excuses as it tries to understand this change.

For all we know, it's as simple as Gwen saying, "That old suit has got to go" and then helps him design a new one.

-Nick

I think what we're seeing here is the backlash of the last movie not doing as well financially as some people hoped. You could see that a lot of stuff changed in the preliminary stages all the way up to the final design that they used. I think that this is Sony justifying that their too-soon reboot didn't do very well because they took too many risks. And now to make sure that the Spidey money maker continues to produce like it did in the Raimi days, they have to push the series back in the Raimi direction. They easily could have incorporated more of the ASM look into this design and found a better middle ground.

I think what we're seeing here is the backlash of the last movie not doing as well financially as some people hoped. You could see that a lot of stuff changed in the preliminary stages all the way up to the final design that they used. I think that this is Sony justifying that their too-soon reboot didn't do very well because they took too many risks. And now to make sure that the Spidey money maker continues to produce like it did in the Raimi days, they have to push the series back in the Raimi direction. They easily could have incorporated more of the ASM look into this design and found a better middle ground.

I completely agree. There's nothing wrong with this suit, but it doesn't feel at all new to me. I was expecting something more distinct.

On the plus side, I think I'll just switch the frames on my Rami costume and have a "new" version for 2014.

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed that it looks like almost nothing, apart from maybe the back spider has been carried over from the first movie. No asics, no finger pads, nothing.
Stuff like the finger pads were meant to give the costume a sense of realism. Looks like they've just said a big 'screw you' to the first costume.

Which is also why I have a feeling similar to Nick and El Fett's that this is fake, this just doesn't add up at all

I think you might be right MCL34N. This initial reboot film was nowhere near the success the first Raimi Spider-Man was for Sony. Maybe they are moving away a little from that Dark Knight-ish approach they went with and softened the tone a bit (Although most trilogies usually pack more drama into the middle film and it would sound like this is the case here too with the introduction of Mary Jane and the possible death of Stacy).

I have to say though, a suit like this is exactly what I was expecting from the beginning when I first heard Webb was directing the reboot. I totally thought he would freshen up the franchise and go a little campy with it. Of course now we all know it was the complete opposite.

a much needed one at that. I am a HUGE Spider-Man fan, but TASM was a letdown for me. I loathed the costume beyond comprehension. So happy that this is where the franchise headed, classic Spider-Man. I feel like everyone jumped on the bandwagon for TASM, but knew that it was far from the greatness of Spider-Man 2

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back