MPC Cygnus

I think the logical choice would be the tank assemblies. I had know idea they were so conplicated. I'll get you box dimensions if you need them. Check out these testbed shots for color and light...is the server will allow it.

That looks great. This will be the best MPC ever!

Tank assemblies would be very easy to whip up. What're the internal dimensions of the spaces?

Oh hey, a new fan... welcome aboard Qrest Fourstar. Enjoy this forray into shear madness. I am going to work up to time I have in this project so far. Here's another Cygnus model thats found at Fantastic Plastics online museum...nice paint job (but a little to much yellow). Cygnus by MPC
There was one more model that caught my eye. It was on the web about ten years ago. I have not seen it recently, but this was unique because the modeler painted it as it was seen before the lightup scene. If I remember right, he used grey with tarnished green overtones. Thats thinking outside the box.

Damn, Nwerke's here (I trying to get to bed)..since I'm still working with pieces...and I left the kit at work, I'll get the numbers posted tomorrow. You want that in Imperial or that pesky Metric.

Alright, the box dimensions (allowing for the internal lattice) is 2.10" long x0.650" wide x 0.600" deep. That depth is from the face of what used to be the tanks molded for the factory , to the inside lattice face on the bottom.

Here's a pic of the prep of the center sections for the final milling. More later. I'm going with the Pactra yellow shown in the earlier testbed photo ,the ship will look lit even with the lights off. And I for a good bronze color that I like (even though I am not a Valspar fan).

I love your work on this Cygnus, mrchester! I've always thought the kits that modelers dog for not being accurate or easy to put together still have lots of potential and you are proving it. I really would like to see you not use any yellow paint to simulate lights, though, because that scene in the movie where the dark ship comes to life with light is so amazing. But it's your model and don't let me alter your vision. Keep up the momentum!

Hi mrchester,

Now that is really looking fantastic. That lighted panel is perfect. You will have to do a video when finished showing it dark and then lit up. Looking good.

Mark

Welcome aboard, Fireball Joe (may I address you as Chief), Thanks for the kind words...all's I wanted is to have a model with clean lines between the windows and the lattice. The amount of time that I've spent to get to a bunch of parts to reassemble is staggering (numbers and comparisons to other projects comming soon).
As for the yellow...I hope to put this in a tight acrylic case and turn it on once in a while. I'm also finding lack of space being an issue. I would like to have a basic brass tube frame inside for extra support...taking more valued space.

Oh, I see MWB has weighed in. Sounds good, I'll keep that in mind when (if) I finish.:lol I do have a ton of pics.

Okay, I milled away even more of the un-needed silver plastic, but the finished parts will a small notch cut down their length (this will help with the side lattice assembly). On a kit this small, there are some concessions to be made. The frames on the boxes and the corners (top and Bottom) running the length of the center section are lattice constructs. For this build, I'm leaving them the way MPC cast them. Oh, the lightbox testbed is backlit with a flashlight...remember: Testbed.
Hey, Nwerke...when's that 1/350 scale Palomino gonna have a price at Shapeways? I have to admit that a large scale Command tower on its riser with the antennae arrays alone make a nice display subject (awkward diction?).

This is a beauty of a build. I have the kit and would never think of attempting anything like this. I saw the 'miniature' of the Cygnus way back when the Museum of Modern Art in NYC ran a Disney retrospective. The size of the miniature was impressive but more - the detail and depth of the hundreds and hundreds of little support struts that were painstakingly installed gave the ship that gothic look. Getting this kind of feeling from the Cygnus kit is something I thought impossible. Will follow it to the end. Your milling work is SO clean. More please!

Thanks for the complement ixtore (these are not the driods you're looking for) I had seen that exhibit mentioned in a magazine when it was going on. You are a lucky fellow to see the model that survived the filming...its a shame it was destroyed by a forklift. I'm afraid that thats the end of the mill work on Cygnus...However, there will be some more mill action coming up on my Doctor Who Stuff thread ( Special Weapons Dalek 1/8th scale and 12" scatch build) and soon to come Arvey Models thread. More Cygnus pics soon.
This what I was working on when I got back into this project. Avery"s 1/350 scale Lexington from Space Battleship Yamato: The Comet Empire. Thats 13.5 pounds of resin.

Okay, I took the day off from Outer Module work. I got around to piecing together the upper and lower Central Corridor lattices. I had to cut two of these down the middle to make the sides of the lower assembly. The warps at the bottom of the structures will be straightened when they are mounted to the ship (which I have to start building) :behave.
These suckers are stronge for their size :).
View attachment 147299

View attachment 147300
Whoa, bad angle on the one photo :facepalm.

Holy crud, MC, making some progress there. I've been tied up with my two current main builds (a big Narcissus is the other one) and haven't got anywhere with the tanks but thanks for the dims. I think I really need to find my scrapped kits though...there's no better way to be certain. I'll dig them out of the junk pile tomorrow; got the day off work.

I had no idea any Arvey kits were that big! D'oh...must get around to nabbing some of those. Nobody has done the one I really want though.

Greetings Nwerke, The lexington is their biggest Yamato model...It is cast when ordered. All of the Yamato stuff is EDF and at 1/350 scale. Go to Welcome to Arvey Model Products , click complete kit listing (click Koenigsberg to see my handy work) and there you are.
I got to put in 4 whole hours in a row this weekend...however no rush on the tanks. they can be added later.

Hey Nwerke, which Yamato model are you looking for? Alot of the subject has been turned out in larger scales but you have to be in Japan. The model galleries on the old Starblazers page (its down for rework) Had some really impresive stuff including the Gamailon/ Galmon stuff I mentioned on the "Models I'd Like to have seen" thread.
I got the internal plating ( for the upper and lower central corridor) made up today. The styrene I'm using is from McMaster-Carr and it seems to be slightly different than the Evergreen stuff. Let me try and explain../ I played score and break with the M-C stuff and it didn't break right off the bat. The 'hinge' that was made provided and easy solution to making long constructs that need to be straight. I ran CA down the seams to make it rigid. Sorry...no pics today. I'm trying to noodle out a decent stand design.
A shout out to ixtore... do you have any pics from the Metroplitan Museum exhibit?

Things have slowed some on Cygnus. I can only put in about 45 minutes per day during the week , at work (breaks and the bottom half of lunch). And I have had no real time on the weekends. I'm in that "deadman's curve" where I need more than a half hours time to move things along. I am cautiously moving ahead with the center section "light box" construction. Its like herding cats...I'm trying not to paint myself into a corner with trying to light it. Here's some test pics of the lower central corridor with the frames...the lights are the Easy strip LEDs from the Cult TV man.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back