MPC Cygnus

Don't worry about your P's and q's too much. We have a curse filter to save our asses. You can say **** **** ***** and the filter works like this! Pretty neat huh?

And sorry for being a **** in your thread mate.

A side note about using marine epoxy for casting parts, the pesky problem of air bubbles (which really screws up the lattice work). I use a paint pressure pot (which I made a cradle to lay it on for easy loading) to crush down offending air bubbles. 25-30 psi works well. For doing the long cenral corridor sections, I made a custom pressue chamber out of 2" square tubing. Worked great for the long molds.

Okay, I looks like I can finally reverse coarse and start putting things together. Don't know how long it will take.

Got the center section lattices (top and bottom) set. However, in my haste, I got one piece with the locater dot on the wrong box.:facepalm So I tried a creative lattice exchange. iIt actually worked out nice. The only thing left is to clean off the minor "Hairys" left from the back machining... Must get head examined.

Wow, looking GREAT!

The module control compartments are fitted to the undersides of all six of the 'plain' modules, so you'll need to add the bases for them where they're not present, I guess?

Yes, Locutis (Nwerke), your right. Adding the pads is easier than removing them. Also, got to go back to the mill to cut out the bottom of the power centers. I seem to get more done at work than at home.

Okay folks, Nwerke has got some nice stuff from Shapeways over on the 1/350 and 1/700 scale Cygnus thread. He and PrimitiveDave are doing incredible stuff (and we're getting some great reference material):cool. Thanks for doing this subject, guys.
I've gotten to the point that I realized that I don't have a real handle on the base color for the framework . It seems that I'll have to paint parts then build. The yellow of the windows is easy enough, but is the ship brown , brass, roman bronze? Some closeups in an old Starlog show a rudy brown, but Cinefantastique shows what looks like a brass with grey-green patina. I really would like to go with flat black. Thanks for your imput...Check out my 'Doctor Who Stuff' thread.

M'pleasure. Have answered your question on the other thread, sorry, hadn't seen it here. In short - brass, aged with corrosives. And copper for at least some of the pipes. At least some parts of the models were pretty much green! I think flat black wouldn't look right, just check out the spotlight scenes before the ship lights up.

Dark colours would though; Roman bronze or drybrushed with various dark greys and grey-greens would work well.

Why are you cutting out the bottom of the power centres? Not following...

I plan to make them into the full drum assembly like what you made up. The way they cast the bottoms in the part is not very elegant. Getting the bottom out of the way makes it easier to put the part in a vice for any other machine work. I also plan to frame in the area they mount to.
Thanks for the color advice.

Aha. Sounds good.

Incidentally, I dare say it would be possible to work up 3D print parts in the MPC scale. Let me know if you'd like me to have a stab at the antennas or anything you like.

Thanks Martyn, I had to train myself to worry about the antennas and piping a little later. However, I am interested (I still have to work out the engine horns, the arrays, and the tanks) but I don't want to impose. Let me get a little further along, (or when the "Do It !" bug kicks in) and we'll talk. Wait, what the hell am I thinking! Yes. I am interested! More stuff soon.

LOL! There are hard constraints on the SW materials and I can't promise 'amazing', but I imagine we could do a little better than 'stock'.

Hey mrchester -- just wanted to chime in and say amazing work! It's always interesting to see the many different ways of approaching the same subject matter -- especially one as complex as this. Looking forward to see how it progresses!

Thanks PrimitiveDave, Its all hand skills.:facepalm You see this little guy...thats me when I think of how much time I have in this so far. Even though I have a better handle on this subject (thanks to you and Nwerke) It is still a real time occupier. It is nice that almost all of the lattice geometries that are needed to cover this model properly (as per this scale) were cast into the MPC kit and it seems that I need to make another (different)group of frames to go behind the power centers. Pictures soon.
Alright Nwerke, its your turn. Anything is better than the kit stuff. For reference, the average width of the lattice is .030" (or 1/32"). I'm keeping this in mind when I make the landing pads. I did briefly ponder photoetched brass but thats out of my wheelhouse. Before you go too far, I need to know terms for compensation ($). Because I have an Overlord (wife), I try to stay out of financial trouble. You understand. Like I said, we'll talk. Now, everybody back to work!

Nah no compensation needed; you'd be buying the pieces off Shapeways direct and they're expensive enough as it is. Also taking all the risk - some things just don't print right!

So that's 0.79mm; Shapeways can nominally handle that though it would be a lot safer to back the framing. There is a lightbox behind the power centres but you don't see anything anyway on that side because of the power centre itself.

Wow, I wonder where my MPC is...I'd better dig it out!

Why thank you... will have to tell (later) about the circus I wwent through to get aluminum bells made for two 22" Eagle kits that I have. Oh my.
If you get to the meteor shower scenes, there is an slight overhead shot of the side that the Palomino took out.. and you can make out that that section is lit too. There seem to be some good side close-ups if you can get past the flying rocks. God, I am still noodling out the lights.

Yes, the lightbox runs through there too. The modules were all originally meant to be able to fly around on their own; they all have their own airlocks and were built 'wild' (able to be removed). But for the power centres they pretty much just pulled one out and faked the framing behind it. The framing on my model files for that area is basically my own invention.

Anyway, no worries, have a think about what you'd want and LMK. Aside from the PCs it wouldn't be difficult to jazz up things like the antennas, the bottom of the tower or the rear subsidiary engines quite a lot. Oh, I have a Palomino already and could probably shrink that down as well. Wouldn't be a million times better than the kit version but should be possible to be a bit nicer.

Forgive my ignorance ( My decoder ring is on the fritz)...LMK stands for what? OOps, got to go to work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back