Daft Punk TB Helmet WIP, FireWire Cast

DaLo

Hi Guys:)

I introduced myself already in the new member Thread, but for those who didnt read it here it is again: my name is Loris, 17 and from Zurich, Switzerland. I love all kind of props, Im pretty new in the cosplay scene. Right now Im building a Daft Punk helmet for a Cosplay event in Montreux. Cool thing is that Volpin will be there too Also I want to make more props in the future, but I want to buy casts an then finish them :p

This was my first build:

DaftCoke

And now Im making this

LED Display von DaftCH auf Flickr

Its the Thomas helmet from Daft Punk.

I bought this cast from FireWire

Fire Wire Cast von DaftCH auf Flickr

Fire Wire Cast, Ears and visor von DaftCH auf Flickr

The quality on this cast is amazing. First I thought it was a bit small, but after some trimming and sanding it finally fit.

Ears Trimmed and sanded von DaftCH auf Flickr

then I thought it would be cool if I could make a LED matrix for the helmet. But I soon realised that it is to difficult for me.

But then I got in contact with a guy named Sandisk1duo on the Daft Club Forum. He sells finished displays for FireWire casts. You really need to check out his work!

after that I had to trimm the visor area so that the LED Display could fit.

Right now I contacted two chromers who can do the cosmichrome process.
One of them told me that he'll be get some material fr the process at the end of february. So ow I contacted him to seeif he can get it done by the time the Polymanga starts. So stay tuned :)

Sorry for the double post, but I got some news from the chromers.

One guy wnated about 1000$ to chrome the helmet. Too much for me, as I can see that you can chrome the helmet in the US for just about 350$.
But the second guy told me that he can do the chroming on my helmet in time for the Polymanga 2013 :) Also he's cheaper than the other guy. I'll send him my helmet next week.

Off Topic: I was watching this video of thePolymanga 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaa8Gr4e3qk At 3:30, is that tekparasite? I didnt know that he was there last year :p

Be careful with your chromer, some are unfamiliar with polyurethane resins and may warp or distort in their regular process due to heat. I say it would be worth checking with them and make sure it can be done without undue heat

Be careful with your chromer, some are unfamiliar with polyurethane resins and may warp or distort in their regular process due to heat. I say it would be worth checking with them and make sure it can be done without undue heat

But actually I dont think you need heat for that process, its the same as in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

As you can see it does'nt need any heat.

I know some guy at the daftclub forum that tried the vacuum metalizing process, his helmet started warping and he could begin from scratch.

But thank you for that hint :)

How much you payed for chroming?

Edit: btw. Sprichst du Deutsch?

Hallo DNP :p

Ja ich spreche deutsch,komme aus der Schweiz :)

Für das verchromen wollte er eigentlich so um die SFr. 550.-

Nun hat er mir mitgeteilt, dass er einen kleinen Fehler gemacht hat wechen man bei einem bestimmten Winkel sieht. Deshalb zahle ich schlussendlich SFr.350 :)

hier der Link zum verchromer: Danioth Lackierungen

And now in english:

I originaly had planned to pay about 550$. Now he told me that there are some small mistakes, which you can see from some angles. Now I have to pay about 350$.

For everyone who lives in Switzerland here's the link from the chromer:

Danioth Lackierungen

That looks really nice man, I too will be using a FireWire cast and a Sandisk led matrix when I do mine

Looks amazing! I still have a long ways to go to finish mine. Although I'm gonna take a crack at the LED matrix myself if I can figure it out.

Absolutely stunning! Any change you got some more contact info on Sandisk1duo?

And could you upload a video, it screams for some live footage.

Absolutely stunning! Any change you got some more contact info on Sandisk1duo?

And could you upload a video, it screams for some live footage.

I contacted Sandisk1duo at the daft club forum. You can watch some of his work here: sandisk1duo - YouTube

Oh and I will upload a video after Polymanga (which is this weekend) I think. Or maybe earlier Im not sure yet ;)

And @Prototype, I don't want to sell it...

Guys I still can't belive that I met Harrison Krix from volpin props!! Such a nice and friendly guy, he even uploaded a pic of me on his twitter account: https://twitter.com/volpinprops/status/317677747277271040/photo/1 :) And I even got a signed poster from him

Signed poster by volpin Props von DaftCH auf Flickr

The conference was also very cool (I really liked his hair lol :p)

conference Volpin Props von DaftCH auf Flickr

I was so lucky to meet him, I just wanted to leave when he walked to his booth :) it was a dream come true!

So if you ever get a chance to meet him - go!

I'll echo Harrison in saying that I like the scarf. I always preferred the 'classy' Daft Punk duo of business suits and trench coats to the black leather biker look they started sporting later.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back