DREDD boots, possible pattern located

loly2kn2

I've managed to get my hands on some boots that are extremely similar to the DREDD boots.

I believe they could in-fact be the base boot, or more likely be the basis of the pattern for the production made boots. I think the similarities are too close for them to not have any link. Here is a photo for comparison:

T2eC16RsE9swmZpDmBRDr6zhRdQ60_12_zpsb723042b.jpg

img1_zpscb212e5c.jpg

It's entirely possible that a pattern was made from this style of boot and the screen used boots constructed from that pattern. Which would explain the different textures in leather and different sole type.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Re: DREDD boots, possible base located

Great find mate. Any chance of the model or style of boots if you have it?

Sent from my PadFone

Nope...the straps on the dredd boot were added later. Sole, shape, stitch...lots of things
Look way to diff.
It is similar though.

Hence why hes says they could of been used for a pattern to make the real boot

There would be no way to secure it.
The straps and shin guard are put on the boot. Are you going to put straps over straps...? It would show.
Are you going to resole and restich the boot? Its not the same...
Look at the shape of the shifter pad....
Everyhing is different.

There would be no way to secure it.
The straps and shin guard are put on the boot. Are you going to put straps over straps...? It would show.
Are you going to resole and restich the boot? Its not the same...
Look at the shape of the shifter pad....
Everyhing is different.

I think you are not understanding what I am saying Dude you can take a boot apart and use it to make a pattern for a WHOLE NEW boot, its possible....its been done before.

There are far to many PATTERN similarities in this boot for it to be coincidence.

you can take a boot apart and use it to make a pattern for a WHOLE NEW boot, its possible....its been done before

And it's done all the time for film costumes, most of the patterns for the garments used in all films are poached from somewhere.

Check out the other side too:

boot_zpsea76b4c5.jpg

I know the angle isn't perfect, but there is no way these boots aren't linked to the ones made for the production. The details are too close; check out the shape cut at the top of the suede piece and the stitched in 'rib' under the shin.

The original boots are from the mid 90's, so the same shifter pads probably aren't available.

I don't have the boots in hand yet, but I will share more info when they arrive.

Lawrence

Great find, they do look very similar to those boots, definitely has the looks of the older motocross boots.

Well am I'm interested in the name of those boots so I can buy a pair, they fit the bill very well. Nice find!!!!

No they were totally custom made. Theatrical shoemakers in the U.K. made them.

Steve

I had heard that before, but after finding these boot's I'm certain they used an existing design and modified the pattern to get the final boot. There are too many similarities for them to claim they are completely custom made.

Having worked with a large (probably the largest) theatrical costume supplier in London, I know they dismantle existing garments for patterns all the time as I've seen it being done with my own eyes.

The bottom looks like a square toe cycle boot and the top is made from scratch. The top leather is way to soft to be a motor cross boot.

thermal:lol

Wow! I was mid response to your thread when everything vanished! I am pretty sure I recall another member saying he found the manufacturer and boot style ( don't recall name) and the manufacturer said they supplied the boot which was modified by the costumers for Dredd. What I see in the Prop Store photo is a standard dirt bike or motocross boot with side buckle fasteners. The rear/side attachment is a scuff guard heel protector, standard on many such boots...Prevents ripping the boot apart when leaning over on tight turns. I think the two non standard mods are the toe cap which looks like the knee pads and the shin guard which is probably vac formed of ABS plastic. I think the "metal appearing" part is another separate piece, probably also plastic which is glued to the under piece. Having said all that, you found a acceptable substitute. the similar piece on the toe top below the instep is also a standard reinforcement for the toe shifter on the Bike to forestall premature wear. Using existing boots,jackets;etc. is a long standing industry practice which avoids delays waiting for custom quantity special orders to be produced and is especially good where budgets are low and the costume piece is not so iconic as a helmet or shoulder armor. My best Guess!

good find fella, they are definately similar. do you know which model they are?
i have been trawling the web and found these that i might use. not so many similarities but with a bit of modding should pass...and they are cheap. tuzo sk9t boots

SK9T_zps6f8d19b9.jpg

These are probably the closest boots you will find that you can actually walk /stand on for any extended time as opposed to the stiff motocross boots ( I picked up a pair of O'Neals that look closer but are way to stiff)I was thinking of just attaching the flaps and greblies to a pair of combats...
good find fella, they are definately similar. do you know which model they are?
i have been trawling the web and found these that i might use. not so many similarities but with a bit of modding should pass...and they are cheap. tuzo sk9t boots

SK9T_zps6f8d19b9.jpg

So I've received the boots (and a lot of PM's about them :lol )

Here are some clear photos:

IMG_4090_zps2c66b9cc.jpg

IMG_4091_zps0008ce0f.jpg

IMG_4096_zps1b1d7e96.jpg

It's clear to me they are the basis of the pattern that was used for the production made boots.

There are far too many similarities (right down to stitching detail in non essential sections) for them to not be. I know some people have been bashing them and saying other boots are just as similar, I haven't seen ANY proof of this, if you have found boots that are just as similar then please share them.

Sadly there is no model number or name on them whatsoever. They are also very comfortable to wear.

Lawrence

Re: DREDD boots, pattern base located

I think they look great..are you going to dye the suede? Id love to see how you mod these.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back