Gandalf the Grey - Need input

Onkelpsycho

Sr Member
At the moment, I'm working on a gadalf the grey costume from The Hobbit.

It's from the Hobbit, because I will get the Hobbit version of Gandalf's staff...

Pics coming soon, just need the scarf, the sword and my staff will be delivered in one or two months I think... But before I make some pics, I could need a little help...

I already had a look on alleycatscratch, but anyone have an idea what to do with shoes?!?

And I still need a good wig and beard, nothing of that costume stuff looks really acurate or just close...

Another thing is the bag... Does gandalf have one in the hobbit? does it look like in FOTR?

Everyone who can help, is welcome...

I'm also in the early planning stages of a Gandalf the Gray inspired costume. I already have Glamdring from UC. Made my own staff. I will be ordering my costume from a company in Germany. Best "inspired" costume I have seen on the web, that is commercially available.

new-members-please-introduce-yourselves-here-imag0120.jpg-87131d1354295098t

Here is a link to a beard...

Lacey Full-Face Beard 10" Costume Facial Hair • Lacey

This is the one, I have... Bought it in pieces from Italy some time ago..., started with the hat, after years a full costume appeared here in germany...

Need a little update here and there but after all a good costume...

The other inspired costumes are well done, too... A Boromir costume would be awesome, too, but it will need $600 to have the main parts together...

But I dont like the beard and wigs from the site... Looking for more acurate parts... Same for the shoes... I know how the shoes look on Gandalf the White, but no idea of the Gandalf the Grey shoes...

any update on this? i would love to see some pics of it, as im thinking about doing a galdalf costume this year for halloween and am interested, but the lack of good closeups has me iffy

Last edited:
I've been looking out for a decent reproductions of the robe hat and cloak. I've really been banking on a re run of the Museum replicas robes but so far there is no sign. I've been cosplaying gandalf the grey for years. I take some creative inspiration but I would ultimately like an acurate movie reproduction. I'm also looking into the staff, I've been considering the UC one but I'm gonna wait for the noble one. I'm not sure if it's going to be made of resin but it will have the ability to light up. I've attached a pic of my latest outfit.

Gandalf does have a bag in the Hobbit, it's almost exactly the same as his LotR version though slightly bigger. Among the regular costume bits, the Hobbit Gandalf has a pack with a large over robe which he wears when escaping the Wargs.

Ian Mckellen has stated his disdain for his boots for the costume which required laces nearly all the way up to his knees!

hope this helps!

Boots: find some very used brown boots without to many machined parts..The bag is just a canvas satchel..consider someone hand making it like macrame. The wig can be purchased but then needs to be distressed and oiled up and aged to look like it hasnt been washed after a long perilous journey..attaching beard to your face will be the hard part to not lok like a store bought beard you threw on you...Keep an eye on my Gandalf scarecrow sculpture project on my page as it develops over the next year bitte auf verderzien!!!

PS...the alleycat pics are really excellent but that costume took months of ageing to make from special Indian canvas but it is the best reference out there and what I am basing mine off of: Gandalf the Grey

I have a couple seamstresses in my family helping me with the construction of the robes which I will distress/age down ALOT and dirty up well.

GOOD LUCK!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back