Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

3poeyedimensions02.jpeg

Awesome, Thank you friend! I got a small start today on the head, though there were some liberties taken. The top of the head isn't quite right (too tall) and the "ears" are continuous cylinders instead of ~5" deep slugs but you get the idea. My current best profile shot is right on the edge of frame and is subject to a lot of parallax so I'm going to keep looking for another profile shot.

Head.JPG

Awesome, Thank you friend! I got a small start today on the head, though there were some liberties taken. The top of the head isn't quite right (too tall) and the "ears" are continuous cylinders instead of ~5" deep slugs but you get the idea. My current best profile shot is right on the edge of frame and is subject to a lot of parallax so I'm going to keep looking for another profile shot.

View attachment 192390

Looks great haakesack! Is this in Solidworks?

Tell me if you'd like more help with reference shots. I finally opened up my RX figure and can provide some additional pics I found on a Disneyland Flickr group.

Looks great haakesack! Is this in Solidworks?

Tell me if you'd like more help with reference shots. I finally opened up my RX figure and can provide some additional pics I found on a Disneyland Flickr group.

Thanks! Yeah Solidworks (thanks, place of employment!). I would LOVE any reference shots you are willing to give me would be great. I'm completely missing top down or bottom up views, and all orthogonal views of the body. Try to use a long lens zoomed in if you can to minimize parallax and lens warp.

Thanks!

Here's some of the images I've taken of my new 10+ RX-24 Star Tours figure. I tried to take as many different angled shots as possible, so let me know if you want others. There's more on my dropbox.

1Tka0t4VhZ262x5g2boDIVTJ5FE5MwHo_q8A1noJw7s.jpgaMA_0akArA_DNPNhodlSxnUuY6hz0Vp7u9f26Nn591Q.jpgkhj5Y5SC_YrQFz8sStD9ac4xABZM0ELFDXIh3juPn4A.jpgKqcHIIk6YPXEW8yTOj_Lznbq-Dc9Ih7Vz3C1LltLslo.jpglAwQGaYDZ_z-_oHnc9zV0VO-9QSBohQGWLpfQO2YjX8.jpgMchpWCJUzQmNT_vVjze8w4zTGV7TK6ScJjJzTNTF6zo.jpgQLGCycSEvhX0p38lFRCqcFTczy4ioJWiSypf36hUR1A.jpgt4BsiWuSTb-3o8tFfnAdcgE0tg9NUt9buO3C3qQKMWc.jpgTDhZmX_AGPrqtNv7FIBqnbytJxbaCNwiFv-Pl2Za48w.jpgW2fJHsVj3CmM31Czgg1HtoCy_mWOrYaYi86m_k5ksNw.jpg

Also, here's a few of my own Disneyland images of the droid
FSOsj2EdVhLp2wg0GvLgJ9hyZ3KdB7TTCrnT5gGOlLs.pnghQ0ScY2wdj4cogLR7_8QOQEjnboiOnrUCKekA1jUNjk.jpglPoED-8561D-8doamTW6v5v34XvWjAWsqMVIP8SSj2k.jpgrFZFEfJSw2YuA-1Atoz6qQByd4K9URkZi8F_jU-U4SY.jpgu6qGWi64OyTbf0kFjTOkrWpQwg6yE-F9jTL_BgaNFmg,PufgAyz492XS3YG8EwokWuHBuMYGNZRFR-vhEZhx3Cc.jpg

I really want to build a RX of my own

Does anyone have any measurements yet? A diameter for the body or the pivot pipe would be very much appreciated.

Hey man, I got your threepio eye dimensions after I finished that basic head model and I won't have time to go back at it til the weekend but I should be able to pull dimensions for you then. Work has me exhausted til the weekends unfortunately.

I'm relatively certain the "eyebrows" are .75" wood (thick). Not sure if that helps but there you go.

I was a little unoccupied this morning, so I decided to try and get some ballpark measurements using the scale from the eye, hope it helps.
Vertical= 10.472
Horizontal=12.594. (Inches)

This is awesome. As someone who goes to disneyland no less than twice a month, I was really upset when Star Tours got its renovation. Granted, the new ride is pretty cool, but it upset me that captain Rex was reduced to a broken droid in the que line that you probably wouldn't see unless you were looking.

Hey Folks,

So I've tried and tried to get good measurements off of the views that I have but I just don't have clean enough side on views to get anything accurate. I'll give you some more detailed measurements from the head portion. It'll get you close but don't take it as gospel just yet. This was based off of a 2" mouth OD so it's probably oversized by 5-10mm. Also, I know the crown of the head is wrong so don't try to follow that curve. Also I'm getting a pivot pipe size of .78"-.85". I hope to narrow that down soon. Headdimensions.JPGside shot.JPG

HI THERE! Man I never thought my picture would get so used! Anyways, I too want to build my own rex. I love that robot like you have no idea! I even joined this site just to give you props! Hopefully you can help me as well. I'm a passport holder, so I go to the parks as much as I can and I always stand by rex for minutes and minutes! Please, if you have advice on the head, PLEASE let me know! ThankS
Hi folks,
I know this is probably your first thread and it's mine too...haha.

I'm brand spanking new here and I'd like to start a thread on a build that's been in my head for a few months now. Star tours was one of my all time favorite rides and now with the phasing out of the old ride, I'd like to build me a Disneyland version Captain Rex. I'm starting to amass reference photography and I'm reaching out to some imagineer buddies to see what I can pull together, but if any of you have any information or even recognize parts on rex that would help me with scale or sources especially for the eyes, mouth and face parts, that would be great.

I'll most likely start with a head/neck build followed by the rest of the torso with the eventual goal being a fully operational Rex.

Wish me luck... I'll need it!

Good Reference:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6127/6017034510_92498c9698_o.jpg
DisneyWorld version (different mouth etc):http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6073/6047809192_d2994534d0_o.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2631/4139196417_222d87b730_b.jpg

HI THERE! Man I never thought my picture would get so used! Anyways, I too want to build my own rex. I love that robot like you have no idea! I even joined this site just to give you props! Hopefully you can help me as well. I'm a passport holder, so I go to the parks as much as I can and I always stand by rex for minutes and minutes! Please, if you have advice on the head, PLEASE let me know! ThankS
Hey Cap'n! Thanks a lot man. I have a feeling this one is going to take an entire community so hop on board. I'll keep posting as I discover things.

If you find yourself in the park, do me a favor and take some orthagonal pictures of Rex. A Clean PRofile view is what I'm missing most right now.

Cheers!

Yeah I bet! Glad to be of service! I'm sorry dude, I totally forgot to mention that I photograph REX from any possible angle, I also get really and I mean REALLY close to him. I have to lean as much as possible to get as much detail as possible. I will be more than happy to help you out. When I build my rex (with your help i hope) I want mine to be just like the one in the ride. If you can tell em how to post pictures, let me know so I can start sharing an incredible collection of pictures of him. I'm really serious, I love Rex. I have 6 figures of him, artwork, vinylmation, etc. Just hit me up okay. I will help as much as I possibly can to make your and hopefully my dream a reality.
Hey Cap'n! Thanks a lot man. I have a feeling this one is going to take an entire community so hop on board. I'll keep posting as I discover things.

If you find yourself in the park, do me a favor and take some orthagonal pictures of Rex. A Clean PRofile view is what I'm missing most right now.

Cheers!

Re: Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

- - - Updated - - -

I figured it out here are some pictures I took.

Wow these are great! The straight on view is particularly helpful. Love the view of under the head too. That's the clearest I've seen it. I have a feeling here's going to be a trip to dland soon where the only thingy I do is ride star tours all day.

Keep them coming if you've got more, side of the head is still needed (if I get a good side profile, I can pull dimensions much more accurately).

I'm good for sharing any and all info I have. I'm probably going to build a half or 1/3 scale Rex but that's just a matter of conversion :)

Re: Star Tours: RX-24 Captain "Rex" build

Thanks man. Reason I take many is because I want to get an idea for the parts. I will try to find a profile of his head. I'm going to the park on tuesday, so I will definitely take more pictures

Wow these are great! The straight on view is particularly helpful. Love the view of under the head too. That's the clearest I've seen it. I have a feeling here's going to be a trip to dland soon where the only thingy I do is ride star tours all day.

Keep them coming if you've got more, side of the head is still needed (if I get a good side profile, I can pull dimensions much more accurately).

I'm good for sharing any and all info I have. I'm probably going to build a half or 1/3 scale Rex but that's just a matter of conversion :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back