Whats a good high build primer?

Tarchinoko

working with mdf is great! until it comes time to prime it, with all those fuzzy edges its best to prime it with filler primer first to help remove it all.

The problem I am having is the brand I use right now takes 24 hours to dry and so really slows down the build process :( especially if it takes 3-4 coats of the stuff to get a nice smooth surface. Does anyone know a fast drying high build primer? preferably available in the UK

For the edges of MDF drywall compound works well to clog up the pores. Also, I've found that the best sealant is just your standard poly (as used on hardwood floors). The quick dry stuff is ready to be sanded and painted in a couple hours.

Gives you a glass smooth texture that's very durable.

I got a perfect finish on my real Thompson wood grip to pulse rifle conversion using U-pol 5 from Halfords. Took four or five coats with sanding with 600 grit in between (but not wet sanding as that caused the wood exposed grain to swell LOL!) in between. I used a little P38 to fill the roughest of areas.

kbpr12.jpg

kbpr14.jpg

For the edges of MDF drywall compound works well to clog up the pores. Also, I've found that the best sealant is just your standard poly (as used on hardwood floors). The quick dry stuff is ready to be sanded and painted in a couple hours.

Gives you a glass smooth texture that's very durable.

I got a perfect finish on my real Thompson wood grip to pulse rifle conversion using U-pol 5 from Halfords. Took four or five coats with sanding with 600 grit in between (but not wet sanding as that caused the wood exposed grain to swell LOL!) in between. I used a little P38 to fill the roughest of areas.

kbpr12.jpg

kbpr14.jpg

how long was the dry time for that spray?

Just gave it a few hours between coats.

I see and its dry enough to sand after a few hours? the stuff I use now is hycote and If i dont leave it for like 6 hours to dry its barely hard enough to be able to sand and if im using anything below like 200 grit itll just dent the paint rather than sand it :(

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back