Another Revell Voyager build

jimpeachey

Ive got back into modeling again after about a 15 year break and always enjoyed the Star Trek models. I got myself a new compressor, airbrush and model kit for Xmas and thought i would give it a go again jumping in at the deep end. I decided on Voyager as i have always liked this ship and have built it a few times in the past but hand painting and straight out of the box. This model is a trial really to see what i can do in the future. My aim is to do the Enterprise 1/350 refit which i have had in its box for about 6 years.

I started the voyager build without posting so apologies that it is not from scratch here. I was spurred on by Ruddiggers build to start posting here and get that very useful feedback that you guys always provide. The airbrush work went fine eventually but cutting those windows out for the LEDs was a nightmare and some are very poorly done, ill do a better job next time with what i have learnt on this trial. Just a couple of pics for now and i will add as i go through this build and see what i end up with. Im a newbie here so go gentle with me!

These first pics are post LED installation in the primary hull, still a ot of light leakage here as you can see but i have done more work and more pics will follow to show that is now, in the most, sorted. I also deliberately decided to only put the saucer section nav lights in and they do not flash, this is all experimental for the next one that will follow immediately after i have decided that this one is ready for the Grandsons bedroom ceiling!

Last edited:
Seems i have sorted it all, lets see how this goes!

This is the primary hull lit but not finished, just to do a light test

IMG-20130112-WA0002_zps1e57d59a.jpg

A closer look

20130112_194424_zpse9f36a4c.jpg

Waiting for it to get dark!

IMG-20130112-WA0001_zps967dc671.jpg

Early windows!

20130207_085248_zps57897ce0.jpg

They got better as i got used to it.

20130207_085255_zps82e51814.jpg

Masking done for the next stage, well almost done!

20130207_085159_zpsb1955471.jpg

20130207_085230_zpsa272147f.jpg

Some lights, windows etc are masked but you get the idea!

20130207_085400_zps4b0f53f9.jpg

20130207_085350_zpsc552d30a.jpg

Last edited:
Well i now have the posting of images etc sorted time to get on with the build now. I hope you enjoy my journey, i'm dreading the detail painting and the decals but lets see how it goes.

The lighting looks really good, I like how you're not lighting every single window. What kind of airbrush are you using?

Its this one http://www.airbrushsupplyonline.com...al-action/hs30-gravity-feed-d-action-airbrush Because i am just starting out again and had never used an airbrush before i bought a kit with 1 gravity and 1 suction airbrush that came with a compressor. All seems well at the moment although for some very strange reason i am having problems using white paint! I didn't do all of the windows because i guessed that no time ever would all of the crew be in their rooms. Also i tend to try using some permanent marker pens to colour some of those that i haven't cut out, as i said this one is all about experimentation. Im not doing any more now until the weekend when i hope to airbrush the sensor strips and some different coloured panels, i'm looking forward to see how it all comes out.

Last edited:
hrm, this kit looks different to the voyager one I have. the windows on the upper part of the primary hull are accurate and not strange and rectangular. I didnt know there was a difference between the revell and the monogram kit; makes me want this one instead of trying to fix the one I have.

Sure, lights may be off or shutters closed. I planned on light blocking some of my windows from the backside, that way not all were illuminated, but they all had the uniform look of glass from the acrylic when not lit as well.

I look forward to seeing your paint work.

hrm, this kit looks different to the voyager one I have. the windows on the upper part of the primary hull are accurate and not strange and rectangular. I didnt know there was a difference between the revell and the monogram kit; makes me want this one instead of trying to fix the one I have.

If I'm not mistaken they are the same kit, I think he just cut the windows out the way they're supposed to be, whereas I plan to mask and paint them into the proper shape later. Correct me if I'm wrong though Jim.

I cut them out as per a guide i saw elsewhere on the web so cant really comment on the monogram kit. I used a .8mm drill at the top and bottom and then used a scalpel to cut out the windows. I think both will have their innacuracies. I also decided, as part of my experiment, to not fill the windows with any acrylics, they are just open. Ill leave the real detailed stuff to the next build once i know what i am doing! Ive also left the 'ribs' off of deck one where a lot of people will add those so this is really doing lots of stuff with the bare minimum of quality just to see how the methodology works for the next one where i will go all out for a decent model. I do like the idea of cutting them all out and then light blocking them though. Mine is glued now so cant take it apart and try that, looks like that an idea for model number 2. How are you going to fill them with the acrylic, i've never heard of that before?

Last edited:
Ok, my next least favourite bit apart from decals- masking up! As part of the trial i used a few different methods. Masking tape but that Tamiya stuff is so expensive i didnt want to use it all up. Tissue paper, should absorb splatter but not allow the paint through and some tin foil as it just wraps around nicely and doesnt need too much tape, it can also be used again- i hope. Lets hope that i dont get too much bleeding, hopefully none at all. Painting starts on Sunday and seems to have taken a really long time for the little bit of painting i have to do here! Keep the comments and suggestions coming!

20130208_161427_zps1e82a325.jpg

20130208_161447_zps81ace5ea.jpg

20130208_170924_zps4b22c252.jpg

20130208_170937_zps816c8dfa.jpg

20130208_171853_zps9cc40327.jpg

No big deal.

I heard somewhere (probably on here) that you can use Future to 'seal' the edges of the applied masking, before painting. So the paint doesn't bleed.

I've done it a few times on my X-Wing build - it seems to have worked, though I don't really have a side-by-side comparison.

Also: light coats :)

-Mike J.

The coats will be very very light trust me. Its all part of the learning curve and keeps me busy so no real complaints here.

Coming along well, I so want one of those :D think I'd need alot of Janeway's regular to do one of those - Coffee, black! :D

You could well have it when it is finished, its my prototype and i don't really know what i will do with it when finished, its also not as well finished as it looks, my camera work has been a bit sneaky...................lol. I also have a bit of a problem with the colour scheme; there doesn't seem to be any two builds that have the same shading for various panels, seems ill have to come up with my own interpretation which is a little annoying. I'm going with the instructions that came with the model this time around but next time i think ill find one particular set on the net somewhere and go with that.

Last edited:
For the window acrylic I used the stuff that salons use for fingernails. I found it at my local Sally's beauty supply, it's a two part kit with powder that you add some liquid to. You can see how I did it in my build thread. The main advantage is that it transfers the light so that the windows glow and you can see them lit from all angles, not just head on.

But man is it a pain.

Nice masking job.

The mask is just to do the darker grey panels, sensor strips and the thrusters, should have some detail on at last by the end of the weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Just had a look at yours reddigger and the monogram kit windows are definitely different, this is such an awesome build though i do love Voyager and that's why i chose it as my trial build, i want to find all the various methods i can to ensure i do a good job second time around.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back