How to remove paint from ABS?

chris08234

Haven't seen the piece yet, but I was wondering how to remove paint from an FX Stormtrooper Chest Plate. I am assuming it is some sort of spray paint (Krylon, Rustoleum, etc). I plan on trying to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Last thing I want to do it to paint over it. Any suggestions?

I been wondering about that too. Do you guys lightly sand it before repainting it? Also, should I wash with water and soap before re-painting?

ALWAYS make sure the surfac is as clean as you can before repainting. Wash it with a dish soap that doesn't have alot of the "hand softening" oils in it. Get cheap, generic stuff without perfume if you can.

If you want to sand it to give the surface some "tooth", do it only with high-grit paper. Go 250 grit or higher.

If you're starting with a primer on there, let it dry and then take 650 wet-sanding paper and do what is called "color sanding"... basically you're just hitting the surface of the paint to reduce the texture of the primer coat. Gets rid of dry-spray texture. Works wonders.

-G

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately the oven cleaner didn't work. On top of that....the piece is poorly made. It is a chest piece for a Stormtrooper (why it was painted orange I don't know). I have since made a casting to alter and improve upon to make more screen accurate. I am dying to try out my vac table and oven. I'm hoping I can use 0.125" ABS for the plate.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chris08234 @ Jan 3 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]1389571[/snapback]</div>
Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately the oven cleaner didn't work. On top of that....the piece is poorly made. It is a chest piece for a Stormtrooper (why it was painted orange I don't know). I have since made a casting to alter and improve upon to make more screen accurate. I am dying to try out my vac table and oven. I'm hoping I can use 0.125" ABS for the plate.
[/b]

If you heat and pull evenly, that should be just fine. in fact, it might even be a little thick. When I'm doing costume armor pieces I usually go for .080

-G

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back