Back to the Future II Jacket Lining Help!!

U2fan24

Hi everyone,
So... I bought some material that resembles Marty's jacket lining in BTTF II. However when it arrived I noticed that it was slightly different from the reference picture on the site I ordered it from.

Ok... so here's a first pic. In this sample the jacket is actually on it's side. So thee top of the jacket is on the right, and the bottom is on the left.
BTTFIIJacketLining_zps933b2556.jpg

Now, this is the reference pic from the site I ordered it from:
8db6821e-1bad-459d-b6df-c7957964d8a5_zpsd3f7a4ad.jpg

Notice how in both above pics the colour pattern AND wavy line pattern BOTH run in the same direction? Top to bottom?

Well here's what the fabric looked like when it arrived.
8850fe64-955e-43e2-9c25-6723dbf840a5_zps3d878433.jpg

So the colours run from top to bottom, but the pattern is side to side.

Anyways... I'm not going to email anyone and complain because the site said that there may be variant differences. But I was just curious... for BTTF fan critics, which seems like the best possible scenario to orient the fabric? With the colours being up and down? Or the pattern being up and down? I'd like a few different opinions before I cut the fabric.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I think the picture's position looks good, the vertical colors look more uniform, & the horizontal stripes look good to me. Btw, that fabric is the closest to the real thing I've ever seen! Good find

I think the picture's position looks good, the vertical colors look more uniform, & the horizontal stripes look good to me. Btw, that fabric is the closest to the real thing I've ever seen! Good find

Thanks. I agree with you about the uniform colours, so that's the way I ended up going.
I'm SOOOOOOOOOO frustrated though :s I just needed to sew a few little spots for the liner and it took me hours before I gave up. The thread kept breaking :( My sewing machine needs a kick in the gigawatts!!

Thanks. Well I think it needs a new needle. Anyhow I ended up sewing it by hand. Luckiny I didn't have to do too much sewing, so it worked out:) I'll upload some pics soon now that it's done:)

That looks really really good! Well done. Taking commisions? ;)

Well I'd LOVE to make more of these jackets, but I hate making them the way I've been making them. It's really time consuming. I need to figure out some ways for speeding up the process first. And maybe invest in trying different materials etc. But thanks, I'm really happy with this second one :)

Why not buy something like this...

Benartex Multi Colored Bright Rainbow Fabric Material on eBay!

... and coat the top with black latex rubber. After it dries, makes scores in the black rubber. Then you will be able to stretch it and get that same effect.

Well the latex merges completely with the material. So if you were to score it after it dried then you'd be cutting right through both materials. I was thinking of using black spandex with a bunch of cuts and slits in it, spray gluing one side of that and then gluing it to a rainbow spandex sheet. That way both fabrics would stretch together and it wouldn't be sticky where the cuts were. So then the cuts would open up showing the colours and then close back up again.
So that would have worked, but the jacket's really hot on it's own so with two layers making up the lining makes it way more hot than it needs to be. But considering the lining was only seen in the movie for less than a second... I figured it was a detail that could kinda be "swept under the rug" if needed. I wish I could see one of the jackets in person... then I might have more ideas for it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back