Testor Enamel versus Krylon Enamel

arco10366

I live in a small town, unable to buy Modeling Paints locally. I have to drive 160 miles round trip to purchase a 3oz can of aerosol paint. Is Krylon enamel and Testor Enamel compatible?

Thanks
:darnkids

I hate Testor's. Over priced oil based paint that mixes poorly, thins unevenly and reeks like the wrong end of a gasoline refinery has no place in my workshop. I find their products to be extremely inconsistent ever since the resorted to overseas manufacturing years ago.

You can get superior paints for significantly less via eBay or Amazon. Unless I need a high gloss automotive finish, I always use artists acrylics (see my Vermithrax thread for details). For Automotive models requiring a showroom finish, I buy actual automotive paint and primer at the hardware store down the block, or use the automotive touch up spray cans available at the car parts store a few blocks away.

I do swear by Krylon Industrial primers however. Their Matte Black, Dark Grey, Light Lrey, white and Machine Grey get used with such frequency around here I buy a case of each from McMaster-Carr or MSC depending on who has the better price that year. Those primers are so darned good, they can be used as matte finish paint. Those products are worth every single penny and can be used on everything from hollow vinyl and resin, to wood, metal and glass. If you use any solvent based primer on any type of plastic, always allow at least a week curing time.

As a last note, don't waste your time on water based primers. I find them to be useless unless you are working in wood.

My experience with Krylon has been very good where as my experience with Testors has been very negative. Sometimes I think that Testors has sat on the shelf too long (if it can) and everything from the way it sprays to coverage to the way it dries has given me some bad results...very bad and disappointing results.
Krylon on the other hand has always given me good coverage,sprays well and has given me good results. I would use nothing but Krylon primer and clear or dull coat as well before and after your primary color. For a rattle can paint this has always worked for me.
I once lived in a small town and I feel your pain. That being said even though I live in a city now and we abound with stores that sell paints I still have to drive 40 miles round trip out of town to another locality to buy a model....Go figure :rolleyes

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back