Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

I think there is a good chance "Star Wars" won't appear as part of the tittle.

I beg to differ. Marketing and name recognition and association to the franchise will mean Rogue One will be surrounded by the words Star Wars.. no doubt in my mind. probably similar to the logo seen here:

Banner.jpg

Well...

"Rogue Group" was a call sign used in"The Empire Strikes Back" for the Snowspeeder attack wing; they were not used for X-Wing / Y-Wing pilots...

Found it a little funny that dictionary.com includes "scoundrel" in its definition of rogue.

1.a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.

Last edited by a moderator:

I beg to differ. Marketing and name recognition and association to the franchise will mean Rogue One will be surrounded by the words Star Wars.. no doubt in my mind. probably similar to the logo seen here:

View attachment 450389

They may want to create a new branding identity for the stand alone films, they have a lot of content coming out over the next decade and differentiating the main saga storyline might be a direction they go. It's been rumored for a while.

Found it a little funny that dictionary.com includes "scoundrel" in its definition of rogue.

1.a dishonest, knavish person; scoundrel.
that my friend just may be the clue to the film... just because it says Rogue One and the first cast actor is a popular female does not mean its not a young Han / chewie movie.. after all, the full size falcon is still sitting in the same pinewood studios that this spinoff is filming in! good catch.. until we know more I'm still betting on Han and Chewie in this one. :D

- - - Updated - - -

They may want to create a new branding identity for the stand alone films, they have a lot of content coming out over the next decade and differentiating the main saga storyline might be a direction they go. It's been rumored for a while.

but will they want people not knowing its a Star Wars film? (and there are at least ten people that might get confused.) :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, that's why I posted that line :)

I think most fanboys will jump to the Rogue Squadron idea... but, I don't think that's a likely idea.

Is Rogue Two coming in 2018? :lol

Re: Star Wars Standalone Film (Dir: Gareth Edwards)

Oh man, the X-wing books and comics have been some of the best of the EU by far. If this movie captures their spirit, we're in for a treat.

I agree. If you haven't read any of the original EU novels, the X-Wing (Rogue and Wraith Squadrons) are the best. If they could capture 75% of the feel of those books it would make an awesome movie. I'm just wondering if they would go with classic Rogues (Wedge, Janson, Luke, etc.) or if that is Rogue Squadron in the trailer of the new movie? It would also make sense because there were rumors that Dennis Lawson was asked about doing another movie. So maybe it wasn't for The Force Awakens, but this? I also don't think they would screw with fans and title a movie "Rogue One" that wasn't about Rogue Squadron. That would just show a complete lack of understanding of the property.

I thought it was canon that Rogue Squadron was formed by Luke Skywalker. Therefore, Rogue One would be Luke.

Or is that only in the old EU?

It would be nice to see something Star Wars that still deals with the rebellion and the Empire that does not involve Jedi and Sith. Just pure war movie.

^ This.
I've had it up to my eyeholes with jedi and sith.
Give me good old fashioned rebels vs. empire.
Give me dirty hardware and hot rod space battles.

*Edit:
I hope Rogue One is Wedge Antilles' story.
I've always wondered what kind of crazy adventures that guy had in the years before Luke joined the rebellion.

^ This.
I've had it up to my eyeholes with jedi and sith.
Then I'd steer clear of the episodic features. Looks like they'll be featured pretty heavily overall.
Give me good old fashioned rebels vs. empire.
Give me dirty hardware and hot rod space battles.
Then the stand-alone's are for you [emoji6] I'm sure some of them will have Jedi and Sith, but I get the feeling they'll be cultivating more stories outside of that subject matter as well.

The PT was literally nothing but Jedi and Sith.

GL pretty much flooded that market until it was totally unbearable. Time to incorporate more of the rebels and cantina scum into SW again.

The PT was literally nothing but Jedi and Sith.

GL pretty much flooded that market until it was totally unbearable. Time to incorporate more of the rebels and cantina scum into SW again.
I couldn't agree more! I want Rebel Fleet troopers, Bothan spies, Scout Troopers, ISB intrigues, smugglers, bounty hunters, sabotage and espionage. But no Jedi.

I thought it was canon that Rogue Squadron was formed by Luke Skywalker. Therefore, Rogue One would be Luke.

Or is that only in the old EU?

It's not EU because in ESB Luke says "Rogue group, use your harpoons and tow cables. Go for the legs." The EU comes into it when it's assumed that Wedge is Rogue One or Rogue Leader after Luke leaves to do the Jedi thing. So in ROTJ Wedge is presumably Rogue Leader even though they are using the Red callsign as a nod to the first DS attack. Maybe for luck or something.

Rogue Group was the airspeeder group defending Echo Base in ESB. Rogue Squadron was an invention of EU writers well after ROTJ. Wedge, the senior surviving member of Red Squadron from Star Wars, was Red Leader the next time we saw him in an X-Wing. Luke's fighter still had the Red 5 markings in both ESB and ROTJ.

--Jonah

There was a comic book several years back that dealt with the guy who actually flew Red 5 before Luke showed up on Yavin IV. I can't really remember all of it but it was like he was out sick that day and that's why Luke got that ship. Seems he was peeved that Luke got to keep his ship.

Anybody remember that book?

There was a comic book several years back that dealt with the guy who actually flew Red 5 before Luke showed up on Yavin IV. I can't really remember all of it but it was like he was out sick that day and that's why Luke got that ship. Seems he was peeved that Luke got to keep his ship.

Anybody remember that book?
Vader's Quest

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back