Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

My buddy, who is the director of editing on the set of rogue one, said that rogue one is nowhere NEAR finished filming.

He said they have notabley been been slacking for quite some time and he's not sure if it's all going to be finished by the dead line due to having to send it through critics before it releases to theaters..

Alex

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Release film when finished > Release film at set date

Some theaters are going to start selling tickets for private screenings next week, IMAX has blocked off the dates, and most think Nov. 7th but they may wait another week to get beyond the election. The norm for Disney is 30 days in advance, TFA was the exception. So why are people worried?

http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/10/november-7th-not-rogue-one-ticket-sale-date/

Last edited:
That's how we got the theatrical cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Paramount had committed to the premiere date, and made no allowances for all the production delays, from Gene's ego clashing with the other writer slowing filming, to the VFX house going way overbudget and overschedule. In the end, Bob Wise threw everything in and took the only still-wet existing print with him on the last flight out of L.A. to make the D.C. premiere the next day. Of course, if they'd given him another couple months, the film would have opened right around the same time as Empire Strikes Back, and that would have probably been worse.

--Jonah

I know :p but I mean in general, starting with a release date instead of starting with a great script.

This bugs the crap out of me. I hate knowing when it's going to be released before there's even one iota of story. I also hate knowing BEFORE the previously mentioned film has even come out that they're going to be doing 5 more (all with planned release dates already, obviously). Marvel, LucasFilm, DC, WB, etc... (pretty much all studios with massive franchises nowadays) are guilty of this. It takes the air out of the film's sails prematurely. There can't really be too high of stakes for our characters, because we know they're contracted to come back for 5 more films after this one.

Let the movie come out. Save the surprise for the movie theaters, NOT for Twitter. Please.

Rant over.

SB

Release dates have been out there since the original trilogy. They didn't change all that much.

- - - Updated - - -

"Films are not released, they escape."

No kidding, we'd never have seen the OT if Lucas and Fox took this approach. :D

- - - Updated - - -

Story was based on the opening crawl of ANH, and how do you know they had no story 2 years ago?

This bugs the crap out of me. I hate knowing when it's going to be released before there's even one iota of story. I also hate knowing BEFORE the previously mentioned film has even come out that they're going to be doing 5 more (all with planned release dates already, obviously). Marvel, LucasFilm, DC, WB, etc... (pretty much all studios with massive franchises nowadays) are guilty of this. It takes the air out of the film's sails prematurely. There can't really be too high of stakes for our characters, because we know they're contracted to come back for 5 more films after this one.

Let the movie come out. Save the surprise for the movie theaters, NOT for Twitter. Please.

Rant over.

SB

In his circa-1977-to-1980 interviews, when the Star Wars Saga was going to be twelve then nine films, George said "if we keep to this one every three years release schedule, the series should be finished by 2010/2001 [respectively]". Setting the release date before the story is a Star Wars tradition. Just like the Saturday-morning serials that inspired it, or any other episodic offering. The next one has to be written and made, and the makers know their deadline and work within it...

...Only now, LFL is actually moving release dates to suit circumstance -- they're not set in stone the way they may once have been. Marvel's shifted things around, too. Getting Spider-Man back resulted in a significant tweaking of the Phase 3 and 4 release schedule. So if there were significant enough problems with Rogue One, you can bet it'd've been delayed to January or Spring or even the traditional Star Wars Memorial Day Weekend opening. That they haven't I take as a sign of how far along they are and how much they have left and all involved having faith in their being able to comfortably meet that release date. I imagine they'll be refining the VFX up until the last minute before they have to lock it for printing. A rough cut is sufficient for scoring, after all.

--Jonah

Release dates have been out there since the original trilogy. They didn't change all that much.

I know that, but I think that you missed the joke. Given all the tinkering that Lucas has done with the OT, if given no release date we'd likely not have an OT since he would have constantly tweaked and tweaked it and never releasing it because he'd never be happy with each cut.

14874890_10154596585413076_677239586_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

14874890_10154596585413076_677239586_n.jpg

Story was based on the opening crawl of ANH...

I agree that the general premise of the story is to be found in the ANH crawl, but I don't think they they'd give away the whole story there. Otherwise, why go see it?

...and how do you know they had no story 2 years ago?

Because of how fast they have gone through writers on this one (Gary Whitta, Tony Gilroy, etc...)

SB

"Edwards spoke with Entertainment Weekly about his particularly unique dilemma, as this December's offering from a galaxy far, far away is not only supposed to follow up the not-so popular Anakin Skywalker trilogy, but it's also supposed to tell a story that ends roughly 10 minutes before the beginning of 1977's A New Hope. It's a challenge that Gareth Edwards describes as follows..............:"

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1578680/why-star-wars-rogue-ones-ending-was-difficult-to-crack-according-to-the-director

J

Last edited by a moderator:
"Edwards spoke with Entertainment Weekly about his particularly unique dilemma, as this December's offering from a galaxy far, far away is not only supposed to follow up the not-so popular Anakin Skywalker trilogy, but it's also supposed to tell a story that ends roughly 10 minutes before the beginning of 1977's A New Hope. It's a challenge that Gareth Edwards describes as follows..............:"

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1578680/why-star-wars-rogue-ones-ending-was-difficult-to-crack-according-to-the-director

J

i like what i hear!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back