Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

re: Star Wars Standalone Film (Dir: Gareth Edwards)

Putting the "creative process douchebaggery aside for a moment, it makes perfect sense from both a story accesibility and potential financial return to base a few movies, separate from the planned sequel trilogy, on already established, well loved characters.

...it makes perfect sense from both a story accesibility and potential financial return to base a few movies, separate from the planned sequel trilogy, on already established, well loved characters.

Absolutely. I would much rather see a film about Boba Fett or Yoda, than some EU character who virtually no one knows or cares about.

But why hasn't *anyone* yet even mentioned Chewbacca?! I guess two of you expressed interest in a Han movie, so maybe you meant "Han & Chewie", but seriously...just two people in over 80 posts??

Where's the love for a Han & Chewie movie? Perhaps I'm biased, having played the character for so long, but *this* is the film I want most to see!

The Wook

Honestly, where's the vision, people? Are we so hidebound and myopic that we cannot conceive of stories being told about characters who haven't yet appeared? You could set the stories at ANY time frame in the Star Wars universe, and tell them about ANYONE. Why is there always this impulse to go back to the well?

I know. Let's tell the story of Ice Cream Maker Guy. And the trooper who says "Stop that ship! Blast 'em!" And the rebel A-wing pilot who smashed into the Executor's bridge at the Battle of Endor. Because these are all necessary stories that must be told so that we can flesh out these characters because people DEMAND to know how the trash compactor monster got into the Death Star, and how it sought refuge there after a torrid romance with the space slug that Han landed the Falcon inside of.

--EDIT--

I see The Wook and I are of the same mind on this.
I'd love to see some new characters, but it's difficult to speculate on them at this point, until there is some stories that are in the works, wild crazy and lame story lines will continue to be bandied about. :lol ;)

Chewie wouldn't be a bad film, but it's difficult to have his as the primary protagonist because he doesn't speak english. The biggest thing that makes the Holiday Special unwatchable (aside from it just being awful) is the fact that half of it is in Wookie. :lol

I'm up for new characters myself. As for the few base characters I wouldn't mind seeing some more of I could see Fett being an obvious choice but other than that, I'd prefer new stories.

My favorite Mark Hamill quote: "The wookie has no PANTS!"
I watched 2 min of the HS on you tube a few weeks ago and gagged! But it did confirm that Chewie has been naked all these years. :lol . I can't see Chewie w/o Han, and I doubt they'll do a whole "old Han" movie.

Chewie had his Holiday special. An eternity of incomprehensible howling. :facepalm

Chewie wouldn't be a bad film, but it's difficult to have his as the primary protagonist because he doesn't speak english. The biggest thing that makes the Holiday Special unwatchable (aside from it just being awful) is the fact that half of it is in Wookie. :lol

Not sayin' to give Chewie his own film. I'm suggesting a movie dedicated to Han & Chewie. Just get a young actor to play Han (ala Chris Pine as Kirk), and show us what they were up to in the years before ANH. Like winning the YT1300 from Lando, smuggling for Jabba, setting the Kessel Run record, and exploits we've not yet heard of. There is very fertile storytelling ground there.

The Wook

Sadly, Disney being Disney, I doubt they'll do anything with ANY of the Extended Universe, since they like having complete absolute total rights and control over everything they do. And I doubt they'll do anything with the OT or PT eras except as a transition to their new projects, partly because of logistics (the age of the actors being just one potential difficulty), and partly because they don't like projects that aren't 100% theirs.

If past practice is any guide, Disney will prefer to "plus" their own characters from the new trilogy, whoever they turn out to be.

Disney is not the terror conglomerate people seem to think it is. The only company they acquired that they took over completely is Pixar, and only because they made the same kind of movies. Marvel does their own thing with their movies, the only thing Disney does is financial in nature. And of course they get a peice of the pie as well. So i don't understand the hate people have for disney. Lucasfilm is still it's own company and will be doing what they want with the property with little interference from disney.

Not sayin' to give Chewie his own film. I'm suggesting a movie dedicated to Han & Chewie. Just get a young actor to play Han (ala Chris Pine as Kirk), and show us what they were up to in the years before ANH. Like winning the YT1300 from Lando, smuggling for Jabba, setting the Kessel Run record, and exploits we've not yet heard of. There is very fertile storytelling ground there.

The Wook

Kind of like the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles but with Han & Chewie. I could see that.

I would think that the stand alone movie will tell the tale / event that is in the 7th movie. the Story of how the rougue jedi left or something of that level. New and exciting story to tell that can be looped into the new movies. Give me a movie about the Sith side.

No Yoda..I'm so sick of that dude. Fett is a no go too, your too old son & we already have a guy with daddy issues.

No-brainers, both.

But I'd also like to see totally new characters.

Here's the thing. I know that it makes it tougher to speculate about what the films would be about and who'd be good for the roles and such, but we've got an entire universe to work with, and thus far the franchise has seen fit largely to plow already furrowed ground. You don't get the sense that it's a vast universe. More like a medium-sized college campus in terms of the characters. 'Cause, you know, Yoda and Chewbacca were both in that 8:30 am Oceanography class together, although Yoda was TAing the course. And Kit Fisto and Mace Windu are "eskimo brothers" after a particularly raucus frat party attended by the notoriously loose-moraled Aura Sing, but they don't talk about that outside the frat house. And so on and so forth. It's all six degrees of Star Wars, and it's a waste of an incredibly rich, vast universe of potential new stories. There are so many directions that this franchise could go, but instead we'll see more of the same. I mean, chrissakes, the COMIC BOOKS have been more imaginative.

You don't get the sense that it's a vast universe. More like a medium-sized college campus in terms of the characters.

Bingo. Big problem with the PT is that despite the fact that they had a LOT more space to explore they had to bring just about everyone back into them. It made the universe seem very small. :thumbsup

"YES!! I CAN HAS PLAY BOBA FETT ONCE MORE!"

BobaFett_DanielLogan1.jpg

"... Not if he's supposed to be a little older, my friend...."
dd4802cd5c3001ab41cbd46e40e3018c.jpg

she was on the council in The Phantom Menace... not much screen time but she is there. yes it was a she :D

so at this point who's to say they won't go in between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope and show Vader in action? perhaps a few hold out Jedi are still around otehr than Obi wan and yoda. We could see Vader commanding troops and bullying other planets while the death star one is being built. Ian McDiarmid could reprise his role as the emperor.

^This, definitely. And it wouldn't be the prequel stories that bored so many to tears and that we all knew how it would turn out anyway; it would be the Empire in action and all that we grew up with in the OT. IMHO it couldn't get any better than that. :thumbsup

I hope they stick with Han's backstory of Imperial Academy dropout/deserter, rescues Chewie from slavery story.

Kinda feeling the same way. Even if they're all great it might just be too much of a good thing.

I feel the same way on the one hand. On the other, what's worse? To want something and not get it, or to not want it and get it anyway. There are probably far fewer of us here who do not want to see any more Star Wars than those of us who do. I know my main concern is not as much for how many they put out as to the quality of them when they arrive. If they're well done, I say bring them on. There can, of course, be waaaay too much of a good thing, even this, but I honestly don't see more than a feature length every few years anyway and I wouldn't call that too much to satiate a SW appetite.

Last edited:

I hope they don't do a Yoda movie, him and Jabba don't really seem like they could be main focal point in a movie. I would love to see more about the Wookies, but agree that this would be rough because they don't speak English. I wouldn't mind them making a movie about Starkiller, I think that is right. In a movie with Han and Chewie, you could also bring Lando in as a side character.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back