Calling Jaws fans, stern of Orca on Martha's Vineyard?

Welcome to Flickr!

I was in Martha's Vineyard for jaws fest last summer, and I saw this wooden stern that's in the picture. I'm pretty sure that the Orca 1 rotted away at Universal, so is this just a fan made prop to promote the restaurant?

I don't think there is anything left of the orca anymore.

The one at Universal was demolished much to Stevens dismay

Paging Al! Paging Al!!

The picture isn't working for me. Amazingly, the original at Universal was destroyed. MORONS! Special place in hell for idiots that do these things. Anyway, I've seen pictures of the piece that you're talking about. I have one somewhere myself. I imagine it is either fan-made or perhaps one of the surviving break away sterns used for the Orca 2 which was used to film the sinking scenes and the scene where the shark leaps into the air and cashes down onto the stern to devour Quint.

Here are a couple of my pictures from Jawsfest of the Stern, It is no longer on display at the restaurant, It is against a wall behind some sunglass hut type thing.

I thought you were referring to a piece that I saw up there that was much more finished and painted. Even had "Orca" painted across it in black. It's hard for me to tell from what is visible in those shots. One of the Jaws gurus will surely know more. My guess is that it is one of the stunt stern sections as they had multiple break aways. If it is, then it was probably never used as it probably would've been destroyed if it had been. When it was still parked on Lynn Murphy's property rotting away, the Orca 2 (stunt version) had no stern section attached to it at all. So, maybe this is that piece. The Orca 2 is long gone, cut to pieces by trophy seekers and then literally cut to pieces for the Making of Jaws book. What scraps remain were moved to a more private, secure location on the Murphy property as I understood it.

The picture isn't working for me. Amazingly, the original at Universal was destroyed. MORONS! Special place in hell for idiots that do these things. Anyway, I've seen pictures of the piece that you're talking about. I have one somewhere myself. I imagine it is either fan-made or perhaps one of the surviving break away sterns used for the Orca 2 which was used to film the sinking scenes and the scene where the shark leaps into the air and cashes down onto the stern to devour Quint.

Well said!

Thanks for alerting me Apollo.

My best guess is, this is a promotional replica.

The original orca was sold to a private buyer and bought back by Universal for use at the theme park. Subsequently and sadly sank due to neglect, much to Spielberg and Jaws fans dissatisfaction.

The only other vessel, the ORCA II was owned by Susan and Lyne Murphy and robbed by pilgrims over the years, until the Murphy's moved what was left to their boatyard, cut the sections up and sold them to fans. The ORCA II was fiberglass, not wood.

There was an orca stern section made for a restaurant on MV a few years ago. That's probably this one.

The only other I know about is the stern made by Greg Nicotero for the last Jawsfest.

Al

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back