Stealth X-Wing Flight Suit (comic) and some other flight helmet/equipment details

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
I was thinking of trying to put together a stealth x-wing flight suit as seen in the new Star Wars comic. Is anyone else considering it?

Here is a image of it from the first issue. More of this flight suit will be shown in the next issues.

The piping here looks orange. The cover of the next issue has it looking more of a red.

Lots of other changes besides just color such as te chest box, gloves, harness.

Last edited:
Re: Stealth X-Wing Flight Suit (comic)

That's interesting because in the Essential Guide to warfare they show a Jedi in a Stealth X wearing an orange flight suit with a headset on, no helmet. I think the artist was going for how Obi Wan and Anakin flew without helmets, but this version looks better. Which comic is that from?

That's interesting because in the Essential Guide to warfare they show a Jedi in a Stealth X wearing an orange flight suit with a headset on, no helmet. I think the artist was going for how Obi Wan and Anakin flew without helmets, but this version looks better. Which comic is that from?

This comic series just started this January and already the first issue is on its third printing. I bought th digital version. It takes place a few months after Episode IV. It is simply called "Star Wars".

Star Wars #1 (2nd Printing) :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

Here is the cover of the second issue...
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?...om/comics/starwars02.jpg&text=Star Wars, v2 2

Last edited:

Here is a close up of the second issue cover. Note some design differences such as the duel hoses on the chest box an the high gloss on the helmet, note the reflections.

Another X-wing costume note from the first issue... I liked Leia's regular flight suit too.

Note she sports her iconic white. I also like how they did her helmet. Very sleek with a low Mohawk. I will admit they tended to draw the male’s Mohawk low as well (compared to the real prop). But Leia's seemed lower. I thought it was a very sexy looking design.

Last edited:

Not related to the stealth suit but something else in the comic I thought was noteworthy. The helmet for extravehicular activity. This part of the story starts at this point so there is no telling if the helmet goes from a regular helmet and somehow morphs or that the helmets were switched. The switching does not make sense since onetime one in blue ejected. Not very efficient during an emergency. They fly these ships before and after this mission and use regular helmets. If you go by artwork in the other issues, the markings of Luke's helmet is different which either is suppose to suggest a different helmet or artwork inconsistency.

I almost have to believe that the writers intentionally designed the panels so not to explain the helmet situation. We know from ANH that it is possible to eject but it is unclear if the pilot alone ejects or if the the cockpit in its entirety ejects.

I have been told and shown images of the concept for the helmet's face mask that was suppose to be used during ANH. I was told they ran out of time to produce. I believe the tube from the chest box was suppose to attach to the mask. This is why the early publicity shot of Hamill in the suit does not have the tub attached to the suit as it is in the movie but just tucked away in his helmet.

The image in the comic is very reminiscent of the Nu BSG flight helmet including the neck ring.

Pretty cool stuff, here are some pics of my rebel commando pilot suit based on the Wraith Squadron novels. CIMG1126.JPGCIMG1132.JPG

As you can see, clearly, it's good to be a rebel!

Mara Jade's Father - just wondering if you ever ended up building the suit? I'm considering doing it as well. Or maybe the white suit. Both are cool.

No, never did. A couple of personal reasons. 1. As much as I love building costumes, I am not really found of wearing them at conventions. I mostly like them for the sake of having them. but I also lack space to display them. 2. Most of prop costume attention/resources/funding has been aimed at canon items and not EU.

However...

That does not mean I am not interested in discussion ideas with people. I would love the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas in this or any rebel pilot related subject.

Ah. Got it. I think I’m going to attempt the white flight suit for Leia. The art has some inconsistencies, but here’s what makes sense to me:

1. Standard X-Wing pilot flight suit in white instead of orange.
2. Standard white flak vest.
3. Standard chest box.
4. Ejection harness straps – hard to tell what the artist intended here. Sometimes they look dark gray, sometimes black. But most of the time the black boots and gloves look darker than the straps. Looks like Strapworks only has silver or black straps. I think the silver is more aesthetically pleasing and is standard with the regular pilot suit.
5. Helmet. She wears two different helmets throughout this comic series (with the white suit). Early on, it’s a white helmet with the blue Rebel bird. Later it’s white with orange decoration. I like the blue better, so I’d go with that.
6. Standard black boots with leg flares, and black gloves.

I'd go a totally different way. Basically nothing would be standard.

The white flight suit could have elements such as the pockets, seams, etc, but it needs to be very tailored to form. Two reasons: 1. they tend to draw female in comics that way and 2. I am convinced that if Carrie Fisher ever had to wear a flight suit, it would have been tailored to her form such as her snowsuit or ROTJ rebel uniform. Furthermore, I would select a fabric that helps with the fit. Also, she has a fold over collar.

The flak vest looks gray in a lot of the pictures. At the very least, you should should go just dark enough so that it does not visually blend into the rest of the costume. Once again, think about Leia's vest over her snowsuit except that was slightly tan instead of gray. Just like the suit, this needs to be cut to form. I would try to do the cut seen on her vest in the black stealth suit. I like the way it angles at the bottom sides instead of a straight edge.

I think a standard chest box would be a fine choice but another option would be to match the comic variation.

Straps, I would go dark gray. I also notice that one at least one image of that suit, the strap goes under the chest box, not the vest.

For the helmet, I really like the way it looks in the comic. Now I think it should be said that I think most of the standard suits and the helmets in the comic are intended to be as seen in the movies but i like the idea of the comic design, especially for Leia. the helmet is much less bulky than the standard screen used helmet. It looks like a scooter/vespa helmet might make a good base.

For boots and gloves, I would like most other items, go with a slender and more form fitting variant.

Hmmmm. Well, it makes sense to me that the equipment would be the same standard issue equipment, but Leia got her suit in another color. The Rebel Alliance would have limited resources... I like the idea of making the suit a little more tailored, and Hollywood would likely do that. Good point about Leia's tan-ish vest on her Hoth outfit. However, in most of the comic photos the vest looks white. There's the one that really looks light gray, but the rest are definitely white and if it's standard issue then it would be white.

I'm going to begin working on it, and we'll see how it turns out. :)

Stealth X-Wing Flight Suit (comic) and some other flight helmet/equipment det...

You have to step back and consider what SW universe deigns really are. Remember, Star Wars is Fantasy, not sci-fi. The look of ships, costumes, props are not designed from a reality standpoint but to make a certain visual imapact to the audience. A lot of ST ships, props and designs just don't make sense but as fans of this fantasy world, we accept them. The X-Wing pilot costume itself has a lot of real world design flaws (don't get me started) but we like it for what it is and what it represents.

As a Naval Officer, with over 20 years of Naval Aviation experience, I can tell you that the standard nomex green flight suits come in female cuts. So why not in the SW galaxy?

Also, if you want to put some sort of justification behind it. What really is standard for pilot in a rag-tag rebellion. Do certain ships have certain outfits? I say no. Look at Y-Wing pilots in ANH compared to ROTJ. I argue that the rebellion would have to make do with whatever items they can get their hands on. If you had 12 X-wings, 12 pilots, and 11 orange suits and 1 purple suit, do you only send out 11 ships and wait till you get another orange suit? I think not.

Still would go with the gray vest and embrace the images of the ones that show it. Why should you want to look like a flying milkman? The standard issue white vest as an excuse doesn't hold up because she is wearing white flight suit. How is that standard? Is that white flight suit specially made? Then why not a gray flak vest? Is that white flight suit one of many (we just have not seen the many others who wear one)? Then why not the gray flak vest. See where I am going with this?

IMHO... if I were doing a custom pilot costume, I would want it stand out, not just color swaps... and I would want to look AWESOME in it. I would want women to want me and men to want to be me :p

Last edited:
Flying milkman! Lol! No, I don't think it will look like a flying milkman. I actually think the white on white look is cool. That's not to say that if someone else wanted to do gray on white that it wouldn't also look cool. But I prefer to do white on white. And I feel that choice is supported in the comic. Additionally, using standard accessories would give me the advantage of using those parts for a second costume - a traditional orange suited X-Wing pilot. Which is something I'll probably do.

If I change my mind, I can always swap the white for the gray later on.

Ugg. So similar to my naval officer choker whites. Not fun to wear at all. :wacko

Sure, they're great for carrying trampy girls out from their industrial place of work, but that gets old fast. :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back