Darth Malgus Costume Finished Pics-Page 8 Vid-Page 9

Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP

A few bits came in so made a bit of progress...Firstly the gloves, I dug out my black leather dye and sorted the grey palms out. Then airbrushed the knuckles to a metallic/ black patina. Gives it a nice 'used future' look and stops everything looking too pristine. Then on to the first actual bit of fabrication. I'm just warming up so I'll start small. With the glove on I cut some card to about the right size and shape to make a template for the hand armour.
09d70467ea28eb322539aa2e4ff363eb.jpg

With some trimming courtesy of my trusty Dremel and a bit of needle file work I shaped the hand plate armour. When I was happy with the detailing I heated the foamex and set a curve into it so that it sits on the hand comfortably. Finally a few coats of primer filler and a light coat of metallic. The metallic paint is for no other reason than I needed to seal it with a gloss coat anyway and want to use this piece to test some paint finishes on for the rest of the armour.
9ec5938e9482578ec9e56261c72154bc.jpg

I then moulded the hand plates up in silicone and then cast them in resin, painted them and Tech7-ed them to the back of the gloves. They just need a few grub screws added and then a heap of weathering. But I'm gonna save that till the end and do all the weathering in one hit to keep some consistency.
8094c2242172b17eb3f9af2cb25ce396.jpg

Yeh, I just see malgus, as less tired looking compared to the masks face there....like the looseness under the eyes is what bothers me. Hes pretty much the most powerful sith alive at that time....war hardened and that mask is like palpatine in ROTJ. Haggered and run down. Does that make sense? I agree that some of the skin is loose on his face but not to that degree. Anyways...Loving all the work so far...that saber is spot on. SOOOO awesome. Cant wait to see more.

Yeh, I just see malgus, as less tired looking compared to the masks face there....like the looseness under the eyes is what bothers me. Hes pretty much the most powerful sith alive at that time....war hardened and that mask is like palpatine in ROTJ. Haggered and run down. Does that make sense? I agree that some of the skin is loose on his face but not to that degree. Anyways...Loving all the work so far...that saber is spot on. SOOOO awesome. Cant wait to see more.

Yeah I know where you're coming from. Hopefully when all the extras are added and paint job done he should look a little less tired and a bit more angry.
The saber is a total beast though you're right about that bro!!! ;)

After getting warmed up i was ready to tackle something a tad larger!
So I chose the largest piece the chest/shoulder armour.
I went through my store room and pulled out an old body tape body cast I made for my Sith Stalker costume. Amazing how handy this beaten up torso has been.
Once securely screwed to the bench I began slapping on the clay.
48006fa273d71be0d5d42f3f202c8657.jpg

Then began roughing out the layout by scoring into the clay.
dee018c2d249d82b3b93f12fdf0a5b22.jpg

As soon as the general shape and layout was on I started building up the detail. Again this will be moulded in silicone and then cast in fibreglass. I'm gonna use fibreglass instead of resin as it going to need to take the weight of the hood, cape, shoulder armour, voice amps, lights, and batteries. Hence everything can be securely bonded to this one main piece.
6560f0c9f8291a5a3a3787bccfba5e86.jpg

Once cast all the little details can be refined and sharpened up before painting.

I really need to learn to sculpt. Seems all the best pieces, like that chest piece, start that way. Subscribed...

Once I was happy enough with the sculpt I made a silicone matrix mould.
The nice thing about moulding in silicone means you can get multiple, very accurate pulls from the one mould. So why have one set of chest armour when you can have two. I'm actually making the second one to be used in a commercial photoshoot for my other company.
53987c9b48b1bf3dc641dfd7c5c66bdc.jpg

With a bit of a rub down and a few coats of primer filler the armour cleaned up nicely. I prepped it for the chrome coat with a high gloss white undercoat.
00dcbaadb222059f4701643858117004.jpg

Made a start on the first part of the vambrace armour too, this was sculpted and popped into the mould ready to be cast in fibreglass. This baby is the bit that gets fitted with all the LEDs and key pads.
c68af821b415c2f1c1e41a13023f9cbd.jpg

The elbow guards got similar treatment.
1db1f67c16221c3ccc350e07c7fa51c6.jpg

With the temperatures being what they are lately the chrome took the best part of a week to cure properly without fingerprinting.
On top of that I sprayed the black panels and clear coated them. Then to really make the detail pop I airbrushed in the shadowing and some blaster hits.
6c9c738f4fc50ea97e4d0a73ed623066.jpg

Next I fitted the LEDs, I deliberately left the internal neck ring lights unsheathed on the inside. It might throw a nice bit of eerie red glow up the face when the hood is up.
As a bit of an after thought I cut a section out of the rear neck ring. This will allow for easier access when putting it on over the mask. The section just snaps back into place using magnets.
80c050bad40a4f3c390c1ce833365530.jpg

Wow!! Great work so far, wish I had your sculpting skills :thumbsup

May I ask what brand of chrome you used?

Great work. really lookin forward to the result since he is one of my fav character in TOR

Wow this is so well made. I love the fact its a traditional clay sculpt rather than a bondo sculpt. Definitely subbing this one :)

Really nice build so far.Your sculpting skills are nothing short of amazing.

Only suggestion I could add in regards to the mask is to pin the ears flatter to his head.They stick out on the mask much farther than the Malgus pic.

Now, are you going to get w twilek to pose as Eleena Daru with you when this is all done? I know the Shae Vizla should also hook up with you. Freakin amazin work your doing here! I'd love to do a SWTOR BH costume...maybe in time for CVII, the stuff theyre coming out with in the expansion looks AMAZING in comparison with the usable in game stuff currently. McQuarrie concept fett stuff used for the Bounty hunters. Im excited. Been playing on the test server. I'd like to see malgus return sometime, hopefully he does. Such an epic character.

Cant wait to see the breathmask.

Cheers guys, thanks a million for the kind comments.
There definitely seems to be some sort of trend building with these SWTOR costumes.
In the Emerald Garrison alone there are at least another 6 guys doing Sith Acolytes, one girl doing Shae Vizla, another doing Veshta the Acolyte trainer but no one doing Eleena yet!
I've started doing Lord Adrass as a little side project too. Just because I love the design.
The biggest shame is my old G5 power Mac's old processors won't run the game so I can't play it! I just just get everybody telling me how good it is!!!! Time to invest in a new Mac I think ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back