Wooden Sword Paint job?

av32productions

What paint or technique could i use to make a wooden sword prop look authentically metal? i know chrome paint might do it but more specifically this blade
sword3.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to put any kind of paint on wood, you have to fill the grain with either a ton of filler primer or resin.

As for retaining a chrome look, metallic spray paint WILL dissolve and look like crap the second you try to put any kind of clear topcoat on it. The only way to get a protected shiny coat that will not flake or fade is to use a certain kind of airbrush-only model paint.
I forget the brand name, but it's expensive. From my experience the most reliable brand is mostly used with model airplanes. alumi-something?

Last edited:
Allclad has some of the best airbrush metal colors in my opinion.

Second off, that sword has a grain finish to it, so think of brushed aluminum.

An easy way of achieving this look is once the blade is painted, you take your wash and swipe in one direction, pulling most of it off but having some of the tiny streaks remain.

Allclad has some of the best airbrush metal colors in my opinion.

Second off, that sword has a grain finish to it, so think of brushed aluminum.

An easy way of achieving this look is once the blade is painted, you take your wash and swipe in one direction, pulling most of it off but having some of the tiny streaks remain.

would this technique work to get a reflective sheen like this?
nZ2Xnla.jpg

There's a company called Sculpt Nouveau in CA that does a range of metal coatings. They're water based paints filled with metal powder. I haven't ever used the silver one, but they do a couple of versions, one of which cures hard enough to be polished on a buffing wheel. If you applied it with a fine brush, and then worked at it with some steel wool, you might get a decent steel look with something approaching the grain pattern on the sword you've shown.

Never used it on wood though, so might be worth a phone call to them to see if they have any suggestions!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back