Anyone with experience working with latex sheet / making latex costumes?

msleeper

Sr Member
I'm about to make a big plunge and start working on a costume that I'll be making out of latex. Right now my biggest hurdle is finding a decent supplier for latex sheet stateside, it seems like most of them are in Europe or the UK.

Has anyone here had experience working with latex sheet or making latex costumes? Any info would be super helpful!

MJTrends.com for the latex. They also have some tutorials, but I think you can also find those via Google. If you find a good one, let me know. I need to make a two toned latex cape...

Yeah they're one of the few US suppliers I'm finding. There's links to some others but the sites appear to all be dead.

Presumably yeah, but you'd need to make sure you're not getting any streaks into it. You also would need to find some way to guarantee that you're getting an even thickness. Having used liquid latex in makeup and prosthetic applications, both of these are easier said than done. You'd also need a glass or other perfectly smooth surface that's several yards large, which I'm going to guess would exceed any money saved from trying to make your own latex sheet.

It sounds good on paper but I think the reality is a lot tougher than you'd think. MJTrends.com is selling it for like $8-9 a yard, which is basically the same cost as a decent fabric. It's definitely a price I can live with. I'm going to try doing a mockup of the costume in a normal 4-way stretch fabric first to make sure my patterns fit before I buy and start cutting and gluing sheet latex.

What are you making? Please tell me it's an evangelion plug suit :]
That one's been on my list for a loooong time.

What are you making? Please tell me it's an evangelion plug suit :]
That one's been on my list for a loooong time.

Haha, no it's not. I honestly can't say I'm much of an anime fan, I had to google what that was. Though I will admit, one day I would like to make a Samus Zero Suit out of latex.

But no, the project is a female Ant-Man out of latex. Me and a friend are doing Ant-Man and Ultron, and at first I wanted to do what I did with War Machine and just make it "female cosplays as male character". But after doing some design ideas, I want to just go ahead and do a female version entirely. I'll be doing a short, high neck dress with long gloves and long stockings.

So I am going to be buying my latex within the next 2 weeks I think. I wanted to bump this one last time before I do in case anyone has anything to add and I waste my money!

I have some experience working with latex.

There are basically three North American suppliers

MJ Trends, located in Washington State, has the best prices but not the best quality product. I'd recommend them if you've never done latex before as you can practice without breaking the bank.

Sheet Latex, out of Toronto, is pricier but better quality.

The best quality sheet latex comes from Anton's Latex, who are located in Missouri. He's an American reseller of the European 4D Rubber brand. The quality is top notch, the prices are high and the selection is limited.

I also highly recommend Making Latex Clothing as a resource for learning the craft.

~Hero

Thanks, yeah I'm going with MJ Trends mostly because of the price. What am I looking for when it comes to "quality" in sheet latex, exactly?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back