Iron Man 3: Tony's headset?

JLeezy23

Sr Member
Hello all, I was wondering if anybody was taking on this prop?
Iron-Man-3-Trailer-Official.jpg

61622d1359120064-hot-toys-mms191-iron-man-3-1-6th-scale-tony-stark-hot-toys-iron-man-3-tony-stark-limited-edition-collectible-figurine_pr9.jpg

Looks simple enough, I was thinking of maybe a headphone head part for the back (since there's no detailed pics of the back so far.) And its the only think I can think of that will attatch around a head. Foamies or styrene for the silver and red&black parts? Looks like tiny LEDs in the "projector" areas on either end of the front part. And I was thinking of heat forming a piece of clear acrylic for the eye piece: 8 in. x 10 in. Polystyrene Sheet-1S08104A at The Home Depot I tested heat forming this thin acrylic with the heat of an iron but it didn't get hot enough to curve it and it snapped :thumbsdown but it did curve to a point, so maybe a higher temp will do the job :thumbsup

I think the part I would need assitance on the most would be the LED housing areas. So far for this IM3 project I have the clear acrylic, foam, hot glue, and the Stark goatee and sideburns :)

I haven't started on one yet, but if any Stark Industries lovers would like to and give pointers on some parts I'd appreciate the help!

Huh, noticed it in the trailer, but never thought about building it...I might give this a try! Maybe using an old pair of headphones as a base?

You could build it and go with a friend that is wearing the Mark XLII, that way you could make like you are controling his movements :p

Yeah I'm looking for headphones for the back base. I tried 2 pieces of foam with pipe cleaners inside, didn't work very well. I've made templates for the silver bits, and the black/red bits, cut them out of craft foam & I'm gonna wood glue those pieces to make em rigid. I'll paint them with paint markers. The only tricky part is heating the acrylic and bending it just right, if its not heated enough it snaps & gotta retry. Luckily its cheap.

It would be cool if I had a friend with the Mk 42 suit, since I don't, I'm also doing the one gauntlet one boot Tony, from the concept art. I've already made the one gauntlet, I think that'll do, the boot is a bit tough for me

Last edited:
I've already started on a 3d printed kit of this. It will be available on my Shapeways store soon :D

Paul

I used Google Sketchup to draw the parts that I printed on a 3D printer. I also used CamBam to draw and cut out the aluminum parts on a small CNC router. For the clear lens I used a piece of plex that I cut/shaped with a Dremel then used a heat gun to bend it into shape. For the back strap I used an old pair of cheap headphones and removed the ear pieces/telescoping sections so that only the top strap remained. For the LED's I used some high intensity 12V LED's from superbrightleds.com and wired them to a small 12V A23 battery and holder that sits on the very back of the headset. Now that the movie is out and I have seen the back of the headset I will be making some changes to the back strap to make it more accurate.

head1.jpghead2.jpghead3.jpghead4.jpghead5.jpghead6.jpg
head7.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work wamser_e. Here's mine I still need to tweak the details of the led housing, couldn't find a better reference. All modelled in 3DS max, I may have spent a bit too much time on the tony texture but is was a generic game mesh I did a while back so wasn't too labour intensive :lol
Open for improvements though :cool

im3.png

im3_2.png

Paul

Thanks. I'm more a mesh designer, can't get the hang of sketchup lol. Would it be ok if I get the size of your side parts, the led housing? I want to print one tonight on my 3d printer to get an idea of scale ;)

Paul

Thanks. I'm more a mesh designer, can't get the hang of sketchup lol. Would it be ok if I get the size of your side parts, the led housing? I want to print one tonight on my 3d printer to get an idea of scale ;)

Paul

I will measure it when I get home. Not sure how accurate the size is as it was best guess from the few screen shots I had before the movie's release.

Ed

I will measure it when I get home. Not sure how accurate the size is as it was best guess from the few screen shots I had before the movie's release.

Ed

Thanks mate, really appreciate it.
I also built the Arc Reactor, these sell like hot cakes on my Shapeways :D

674x501_703268_991078_1368046487.jpg

Paul

No problem.

Cool! I designed and printed an arc as well. I have done a few actually. Mark I, Avengers and IM3 versions.

arcreactor.jpgAvengersArc.jpgIM3arc.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back