Plaster or fiberglass+resign mold for air dry clay head

giedrius

Hello.
i want to make a mold of my head sculp in 2 or maybe 3 parts. piece will casted in latex. i have made a head sculp i air drying clay.
question is should i make it out of plaster? or out of fiberglass with polyester resign? also what kind of mold release i should use? just regular spray paint on headsculp would work?

You can crystal clear your sculpture. A plaster mold will work the best, Hydrocal is the best for latex, make sure to reinforce it with burlap.

I am no expert on latex, but a hydrocal mold will work well. Vaseline is a good mold release for plaster molds, but I am unsure if this will have a negative impact on the latex casting.

the problem i i dont have access to hydracal grade plaster. i have access to local plaster that is for casting molds, i was thinking on using that for first and second coat then using regular industrial plaster to reinforce it. would that work?

If your using latex I advise using plaster as a mold as it absorbs the moisture in the latex best of all as it absorbs the moisture in the latex better giving a good skin, fibreglass is ok but fibreglass molds are better if your baking foam latex, but be sure to bake out the mold first before adding the foam so there's no de lamination.
The plaster mold maybe heavier and more bulky but you'll get a better product. After your mold has dried rub in a good amount of Vaseline leave it a bit then buff it out with a rag, it's always good to give it a spray dusting with a wax release too.. What type of pour are u doing? U filling it leaving it and pouring or building up a couple of skins first?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back