More Cheap & Cheerful Star Wars Blaster Replicas

Geohazard

So, I've been inspired by Badsprout (and a limited budget) to produce a Merr-Sonn Power-5 Blaster as cheaply as possible.

Original thread: http://www.therpf.com/f9/cheap-cheerful-star-wars-blasters-toy-mauser-100493/

I went onto everyone's favorite Internet auction site and bought (for $0.01 and $8.99 S/H) a plastic airsoft Mauser, which, if I was going to play airsoft would no doubt be a worthless piece of junk, but should fit the bill nicely for a knockoff blaster. Not as cheap as 99p, but it'll do.

I'll post more pics as progress allows.

So I still haven't received the airsoft mauser yet, but I went ahead and went looking for suitable cheap parts to make up the greeblies.

1) power steering fluid funnel $1.49
2) 1/2" close sch40 pvc nipple $0.37
3) assorted washers $1.30 (had to buy smallest size in bulk)

I'm going to slice the pvc nipple in half, and hopefully have two salvageable halves to attach to the sides for heat sinks. I still haven't figured out what to do for the one under the barrel. I plan to cut the funnel off at a suitable length and drill the holes for the flash hider.

I'm not quite sure what I'm going to use to enlarge the barrel or connect the funnel to.

Hi Geohazard. I only ever did the one Merr-Sonn, so I'll be interested to see how this build goes, especially as your base Mauser is a lot better than the piece of tat that I used. Best of luck.

I'm looking into getting some DL-44's for future builds if this one works out well. What I'm trying to do here is make the build as best as possible on as little funds as possible. I'm shooting for under $25.

if you wanna spend another $15, you might order this and cut off the barrel and use it on yours:

Han Solo Star Wars Gun, Han Solo Blaster - OfficialStarWarsCostumes.com

video of same item modified:

Han Solo Blaster Mod - YouTube

Star Wars Han Solo ANH DL-44 Pistal Prop Blaster Review - YouTube

Inexpensive yes, but I would think that most would be disappointed in how the sight is melded into the blaster making it very toylike...which is exactly what it is. It would take a bit of work separating it and making it look less like like a toy and more like a movie replica.

TazMan2000

Inexpensive yes, but I would think that most would be disappointed in how the sight is melded into the blaster making it very toylike...which is exactly what it is. It would take a bit of work separating it and making it look less like like a toy and more like a movie replica.

TazMan2000

What I'd like to do for my next pistol replica project is actually get a Denix broomhandle and a .22 sight.

Sadly, right now, this project is on hold temporarily, as the tracking info on my airsoft gun seems to indicate a misdelivery. At least it is now in the same county.

The airsoft Mauser arrived today!

So on the list of things to do tomorrow:

1) Sand marks/mold lines off of Mauser
2) Glue code disc greeblie washers together
3) Measure, cut, drill, & sand wooden dowel for flash hider
4) Sand marks off pvc nipple and cut it in half
5) Measure cuts and drill holes on funnel, cut & fit to wooden dowel
6) Drill holes for LED greeblies, fit LED's

Still yet to locate:
Greeblies for the front heat sink & sight

I didn't get as much work done today as I would have liked however having the right tools for the job instead of having to make do would have been stellar.

First up, I figured out how to take apart the airsoft (so many little screws!), disassembled it, and inventoried the parts. I was delighted to discover that the grips are removable, which will make painting them later with a wood-effect considerably easier. I used a dremel to slice off the little cylinder that keeps the hammer from going flush, and cut out a notch for the hammer to rest in. While I was at it, I removed the stupid static safety switch, and smoothed out the cut with sandpaper.

Secondly, I sliced the PVC nipple in half with the dremel, sanded the edges and the "Made in China" lettering down real smooth, and fitted it to the sides of the airsoft.

Third up, I cut the funnel, dowel, and barrel, shaped them, and fit them together. Much help was my roommate who worked on reaming the wood part of the flash hider so I could take a food break.

Yeah, I know, I knicked the dowel with the circular saw, the cone is a bit small, the angle isn't quite right, and the drilled holes are a bit wonky, but it has the right look to it. I think I'm going to look for a different funnel to use for the flash hider; one with a more obtuse angle to it.

Speaking of, does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of the little bits of waste plastic that stick in the holes when you drill? I was using a tiny bit to ream, but that really wasn't getting me anywhere.

Back at it tomorrow!

I've been considering how to fill out the heat sink greeblie on the sides of the blaster, instead of just the PVC, and had a bit of an epiphany while shopping for donor funnels. There was a funnel with a flexible plastic hose that should be suitable for the cone of the flash hider, as well as an intermediate sized piece to fit to the PVC. While at the auto parts store I also discovered a GM panel fastener which might be suitable to close off the open ends of the hose. The only problem I can see in this plan is how to effectively slice the small pieces in half. I think I'm going to invest in a modeling saw.
Replacement funnel: $2.59
Fastener greeblie: $2.49

Last edited:
This is really cool, I have the same airsoft, and never took it apart...lol maybe I should - your pics are really informative, thank you!

This is really cool, I have the same airsoft, and never took it apart...lol maybe I should - your pics are really informative, tha.nk you!

If and when you do, I would recommend getting a magnetic dish to hold all of the little screws in. They are very easy to lose track of.

More work done tonight:
1) Used hobby saw to cut hose and GM greeblies for heat sinks
2) Drilled holes for/fitted green & red LED's
3) Glued Imperial greeblie together

More work tonight:

1) Spot-filler to fix assorted dings and scrapes.
2) Re-did flash hider cone from donor-funnel. Decided not to mess with drilling holes, and therefore not having to do all that work cleaning the plastic out.
3) Dremel-work to shape flash-hider cylinder, sanding.
4) Glued two halves of power-pack, and greeblies in place.
5) Fit flash hider pieces together.

Tomorrow, I hope to get everything fit together, fill gaps with spot putty, put a few layers of primer on, maybe get the wood effects on the grip started, and put in some lead for weight.

More work tonight:

1) Spot-filler to fix assorted dings and scrapes.
2) Re-did flash hider cone from donor-funnel. Decided not to mess with drilling holes, and therefore not having to do all that work cleaning the plastic out.
3) Dremel-work to shape flash-hider cylinder, sanding.
4) Glued two halves of power-pack, and greeblies in place.
5) Fit flash hider pieces together.

Tomorrow, I hope to get everything fit together, fill gaps with spot putty, put a few layers of primer on, maybe get the wood effects on the grip started, and put in some lead for weight.

wow, this is great stuff, i was looking for a way to make the flash hider and you have done it for me!! I too am making a Han blaster, but i am making the "Greedo Killer". And here are the components i have purchased so far.

scope:
Amazon.com: Tasco Rimfire 4x 15mm Crosshair Reticle Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

Nuts to hold mounting bracket on:
Amazon.com: Tripod 1/4 inches Screw to Flash Shoe Mount Adapter: Camera & Photo

The gun i will be using:
Amazon.com: New Airsoft C96 Mauser Pistol Han Solo: Sports & Outdoors

Found out the hard way that my glue bonds plastic to wood instantaneously. So now I need a new barrel and a flash hider cylinder. I'm thinking this time, pvc.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back