Dredd3d Lawgiver - from Original CAD files...

CustomCreations

Sr Member
Hi,
I've been lurking in the forums to watch peoples amazing work in their builds for the Dredd Movie, and thought I'd post up my current progress on a Lawgiver Mk2 build I am doing.

The basis of this build comes from the original CAD files that I was able to obtain....;-)

The files I had were a low res conversion so although looked ok on screen, were very triangulated.
The downside of this is that this meant they were unable to be ammended, sliced or generally reworked.

65290_10151239955137001_55455592_n.jpg

So I set to work remodelling over the original files to get real CAD data, this also smoothed up all the faces and gave me modelling that could be adjusted and tweaked.

484764_10151239957692001_1791238301_n.jpg

Although I have a CNC machine of my own, its a 2.5d and working with the files gradually I realised that the best way to handle the build was to 'Old School' it.
I printed out the various shapes and forms and using styrene, built up what I could over a cheapo Glock Airsoft.
This gave me a 'case' which slid over the bulk of the gun and a platform to stick everything to when the time came.
(The original gun is made up from many layers of aluminium panels.....)

6338_10151239959722001_1919562236_n.jpg

I then started to CNC the detail parts.

One thing of interest is that it looks like the original Location of the LCD screen and serial No. was over the rear slide.
The LCD screen seen here was a slightly earlier version based on what reference I could pull from the Net as this part of the LG was not in the orginal file.

734694_10151239965952001_1146213572_n.jpg

Currently the gun is still in component form. I now have STL files of the original rear slide section ( which when the gun fires slid back) . I have yet to start this section based on this new file, although the original work I did in this area is correct, thankfully !

Of interest to anyone tackling their own build, It would seem the gas Blowback ( blue) and the cheaper one-shot BB gun ( orange)are all the same dimensions that I can tell, from what I have been working with.

I think the biggest problem most builders will face is the question of making the gun hollow or solid, as the extra thickness of the casing over the base glock really is only a few mm thick, so its quite thin once over the sides of the Glock....

I hope this is of interest and I will post further shots once I have had another quiet time to work on it !

awesome stuff!

I used 1.5mm styrene as the base sheets for my build (it was 1.5mm steel for the actual prop) and 2mm for the rest (barring parts that I tsculpted up with milliput)

Once I put all my parts together and built them up to 3 dimensions (again with milliput) it's very sturdy and quite weighty..around 1kg.

I wish I had access to a cnc machine it was a real pain to hand cut every single piece and I'm sure added a few weeks to my build :D

That is exactly what I have been working on. I am using Pro/E for my models and I am getting fairly close to what you have, but I am missing some details. What CAD package are you using? Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

Yeah, you can bet I'll be subscribed to this thread.
Glad those original files from the production got into the right hands!

So extrapolating from what you're saying - if the original movie guns had aluminum pieces, and some of the parts over the gun are very thin, do you think using this add-on kit with a gas blowback g17 airsoft could cause breakage when the slide moves (especially if I go with my plan of putting one of these on a full-auto G18?)

So extrapolating from what you're saying - if the original movie guns had aluminum pieces, and some of the parts over the gun are very thin, do you think using this add-on kit with a gas blowback g17 airsoft could cause breakage when the slide moves (especially if I go with my plan of putting one of these on a full-auto G18?)

Main problem you will have on an 18 is the full auto selector is right where the smallest part of the rear slide goes . This would weaken it if removed. It is possible to convert a 17 to full auto but it will only be full auto and no semi option. It could be possible to remove the selector switch and maybe replace it with a slotted screw though.
I've watched the lawgivers in action quite a not Nd I've not seen a single scene where the rear slide goes back and forward in full auto though. I'm sure they were just semi and the full auto flash and sound are added . A full would be awesome though and I have thought about it myself :)
Another thing I did hear was the top slide is larger on the 18s do that may affect the operation.

I've tested mine on a gas 17 and it worked fine . That was on the styrene master so with a resin cast it should be fine as long as it doesn't impact on the upper receiver when it returns each time .

Very nice build by the way CC :)

I've watched the lawgivers in action quite a not Nd I've not seen a single scene where the rear slide goes back and forward in full auto though. I'm sure they were just semi and the full auto flash and sound are added.

We've had multiple reports from folks who worked on the production that said both semi-auto and full-auto blank-firing Glocks were used.

This is looking really excellent.

The CAD file is interesting. It looks like it might be from early in the production. There are clear detail differences between this and the filmed prop:

- The CAD model appears symmetrical left-to-right whereas the prop is asymmetric left-to-right (different details on each side)

- The grip extension/moulding is missing.

- The sight / sight rail is very different.

It also appears as if the size of the weapon changed during the production. The CAD model shown in the featurette, "Dredd's Equipment" looks much closer to the production prop (although the prop seems to be missing some details shown in the model)

I've done a quick size comparison to show what I mean. The top image is the CAD model, with a Glock 17 superimposed over it. I've marked (with a red line) where the end of the Glock sits relative to the Lawgiver.

In the images below that I've shown where the end of the Glock is on the featurette CAD model.

You can see that the Glock in the featurette CAD model ends where the front shroud starts, whereas in the model above the Glock ends where the shroud cutout sits. I estimate it's about 1cm difference in length.

Sizecomparison_zpsaf643607.jpg

Nothing more to discuss really. That's all I know on the subject.

But yes, back to CC's thread:
CC, do you think it might be worth trying to make the thinnest parts out of something else, like metal as in the original prop just for strength? Not saying to do the whole thing in aluminum like the screen-used, but one or two bits...

It does seem like a non-kit version (a whole gun rather than pieces to put over an existing airsoft) might as well be one solid piece.

HI,
Yes the idea of a multiple piece kit is the coolest thing but the practicality of the rear slide might rule that out.
I am looking into a cross of ali shrouds and resin body at the moment though, which may give a best 0f both worlds answer.

My gut feeling is that a one piece solid kit is the anwer for ease of production- however there is one process I may be able to use which might work, I guess it will all deopend on whether people are after functionality or not.
..and if they are worried about customs/ shipping/ postal issues...

BTW no worries about chatting here over the Lawgiver- they did produce many multiple versions, so I doubt that one working feature on one gun would relate to it doing the same function on another ;-)

Thanks for the interest, I'll try and keep things updated as they go .

D

BTW no worries about chatting here over the Lawgiver- they did produce many multiple versions, so I doubt that one working feature on one gun would relate to it doing the same function on another ;-)

Thanks for the interest, I'll try and keep things updated as they go .

D

Yeah I heard the same , I have a source who was a stuntman on set in SA. He said blank firing hero , electronics version ( seen on the featurette ) some airsoft and rubber stunt ( one is seen outside the med centre shoot out)

From the outside it looks as though the whole top of the receiver is aluminium and the bottom or some if it is resin or fibreglass. The mags look fibreglass too as there's one shot of one on a bench and its opaque and yellowish.

Hi-
EnglishArcher- Good eye !
Yes I went back to check, if you look at the pics of my actual build it looks like I am matching your screen grabs from the turntable renders.
The files I have only had the pistol grip/frame as a sizing guide, they hadnt modelled the actual slide etc as well. Maybe they eyeballed the glock parts in ?
Interestingly, the turntable render still has the rear details where the original serial plates went.
BTW- The render I did of the orginal file I'd mirrored the gun to show the other side forgetting it flipped the gun rather than rotating it ;-(
The sight rail items are actually in amongst that lot, but they are just all grouped up in one bunch rather than as individual items.
The only real difference Ive noted working on the build is that the rear detail with the angled grooves ( with the gold coloured little domes) are slightly taller in overall height than we see in the final model.

BTW, I did a shapeways test on the detail and main body parts ( 16 in total) - so far coming to approx $249.00 or £165. I might be able to drop that be further hollowing of some parts, but at $49 to print a complete magazine Im wondering if this might not be a possible way forward as well !

( Any parts that are that creamy colour in the video are rapid prototype parts btw T.Fett)

I did a quick comparison sketch.

On the left is the CAD file image. I've overlaid my line drawing. On the right, I've scaled the fabricated parts (by about 5%), and slid them around a bit, to get the receiver to sit relative to the Glock as it appears in the featurette.

Below that I've overlaid the line drawings onto screen caps of the Lawgiver (just flipping the image for the right side view; because I'm too lazy to draw all the details!)

Of course, this is possibly the most inaccurate and unscientific way to judge but, to my eye, the 'stretched' model fits the screen caps (oh-so-slightly!) better.

As far as I can judge (from the angle) this 'stretched' view seems to match CustomCreations' model, too.

Oh, and good catch on the serial plates original location! I wondered why that went missing on the prop!

Line drawing comparison:

Comparison-linedrawings_zps3e92c1d2.jpg

Screen cap overlays for original CAD model:

CADmodel-screencaps_zps9a0145d7.jpg

Same screen caps, 'stretched' model:

Stretched-screencaps_zps94516b70.jpg

Just went back to my sketches and measured: I get a difference of 7.5mm I think I'll call that close enough for rock-and-roll :)

CustomCreations, are you going to be modelling the grip extension/molding that sits under the slide? Again, this seems to have been a late addition to the design and it looks like they designed it symmetrical, then cut the left side away to access the slide release.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a set of these parts printed. I think the biggest problem will be getting a reasonably-priced Glock replica in the UK! :-(

HI,
Yeh, Ive worked on that yesterday, it too is very tight fitting to the casing of the Glock, no more than 1mm in thickness I guess at the extreme edges on the handle anyway, and yes it's cut back on the side with the small release trigger.
If I get a chance I'll recut the LCD panels today-
Ive been putting off commiting to a final assembly in case I change anything later- but Ive now got my head around what options there are for dealing with the thinness of the casing, so I'll just need to commit.

As a side note, I came into prop guns/ blasters form the I-Robot pistol. The casting I have shows all the milling, looked like it was done from a single block if remember.
Working in the Lawgiver makes me realise how much work goes into the originals, although I wonder if reverse engineering this stuff is actually any easier !

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back