Rub'n'Buff on latex? AKA- How to create a metallic surface on latex?

Nostrum

I'm working on a costume that has armour, seen here.
I've decided to make it out of latex, reinforcing the front and back sections whilst leaving the area just below the arms softer for comfort's sake.

My question is about giving it a metallic finish so that it's closer to resembling armour.
I'm planning on tinting the latex first, to give it a base colour.
Will Rub'n'Buff work on latex? Or is there a better option to create the finish?

Am I going in the completely wrong direction?

I apologise too if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find an entirely clear section to post in.

i just had a lengthy detailed thread about metallic gold paint on latex over on the hma (haloween mask association) forum. many oil/solvent based gold metallic paints turn latex to goo relatively quickly, possibly due to the copper used in it. if you stick with water based metallics, you should be ok. i have used perl-ex interference powders mixed into rubber cement as a top coat. silver over a gray latex base makes a good steel look. interference gold over a yellow latex base coat makes a makes a good gold look. there's no copper in the pearl ex stuff, so nothing to react with the latex.

I've painted a few pred suits up ands used a black acylic/latex basecoat, then a metalic acrylic paint latex mix drybrushed over to give the metal look, you can see it here
bensheadandpred005.jpg

heres another version
IMG_3476.jpg

once the paint is sealed with liquitex gloss and gel medium its fine, had no issues with it

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back