U.S.S. Defiant Stainless Steel Mug

SgtFang

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I'm trying to find out if the base mug is still made. I've found one that looks like it could be it, but SurferGeek thinks it's too big.

42523.jpg

Any and all vid caps/stills appreciated.

Thanks.

-Sarge

This is just great. No, matter what you think up next. Someone else has one already. And is there to help out.

Great stuff.

That looks like a great travel mug even without the added prop status. I could cut some vinyl for the graphics and then have a good prop too.

Hey guys, just a quick question/observation before people start running out to buy these things.

Looking at the screen cap, it looks like the used mug has no threads along the top piece, whereas the nissan obviously does. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

The nissan is damn close, but the screen used mug may be an earlier model or from a different manufacturer.

-Fred

The embarrassing thing is I've actually had a screen used one in my hands before. BUT it was over ten years ago, and I can't remember the particulars, except that the letters and symbols were individual vinyl decals, and that it was used without it's lid. It WAS definately made by Nissan/Thermos, but I'll admit there's a small possibility that might have been a different sized look-alike.

On the lid threads, we need a closer pic- things like that wash out in shots that aren't extreme closeups. When I found the gloves used in Starship Troopers, I thought the company must have had a custom run made by Neumann, w/o the little patches on the back, but when I finally saw an original screen used pair (same owner as the mug) there were the stitch marks where they pulled the patches off too, just like mine. :D

Goes off to email Thermos...

-Sarge

They could have sanded the threads off & polished it up to make it look less like the thermos brand one. Look at the photo where it is in front of Dax's hand there is enough contrast where it should have been visible.

Hey Sarge,

Even at that res, the threads would still reflect the overhead light. They would be clearly evident in the second pic especially.

GB, it's possible, but very unlikely that they would go through that much effort for a cup that was never a central focus point.

My honest-to-God feeling is that you guys should keep looking. You're close, but not quite there. The real cup is obviously a found object, no sense in settling for close enough when you can get the real deal. Try ebay for older versions of that nissan mug or maybe retailers just have old stock laying around.

-Fred

Walgreens carried similar (if not the same?) mugs a couple of years ago. You might luck out at the clearance rack. Or heck, just check the kitchen section. Some stores work in older merchandise to sell it.

You could make a run of all the smaller drugstore chains as well. A lot of times the buyers deal with the same companies, so you see a lot of the same merchandise at Walgreens, CVS, Eckerd, etc. :)

Next time I'm at work I'll try to remember to check the item and see if it'e re-orderable.

There's actually a pic of the mug in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. I don't have a scanner, though... anyone have the book and can scan it for us all?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kalkamel @ Dec 14 2006, 12:53 PM) [snapback]1377507[/snapback]</div>
There's actually a pic of the mug in the Star Trek Encyclopedia. I don't have a scanner, though... anyone have the book and can scan it for us all?
[/b]
You can always ask the 'Doc' to scan it for you...

Ok cross your fingers- I just emailed a couple guys who used to work at Prop'er FX. I'm hoping one of them can give me a current email for the guy who owned the one I saw before. If I can find him and if he still has it, maybe we can get good closeups of his original. :) :thumbsup

-Sarge

Dunno if it helps, but I have this screen-used mug from ST:Insurrection... it's from the 1701E, but chances are it's the same mug used for the Defiant.

[image]http://www.ronboyd.com/ImageHost/1701E-Mug.jpg[/image]

Lemme know if you want more pics.
Luv,
-r.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhboyd @ Dec 14 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]1377920[/snapback]</div>
Dunno if it helps, but I have this screen-used mug from ST:Insurrection... it's from the 1701E, but chances are it's the same mug used for the Defiant.

Luv,
-r.
[/b]

Not even close. The Definant mugs have a handle that's just an upside down "L", that doesn't connect at the bottom.

Don't waste time on the Encyclopedia either, the picture of the mug in it is a drawing instead of a photograph.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhboyd @ Dec 14 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]1377920[/snapback]</div>

Luv,
-r.
[/b]

Oooo... I've actually got a couple of that style- I used to get them at Meijer (I actually kind of like that style better- they remind me more of futuristic Ale mugs.) :D Not sure if these are still made though. Good catch- I didn't know this type ever saw any screen time. :thumbsup

-Sarge

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back