Cheap and Easy Film Cell Backlit Display (mine is BTTF) *Template Added*

IxMAGICx1

So about a month ago I bought some 35mm BTTF film cells. I wanted to frame them but I knew if I wanted to be able to actually see them, they'd need to be backlit. I thought of a few different ideas: LED Lights, glass front/back frame, etc...then it hit me, a digital frame! A white area of a digital frame would have to light up a film cell. Plus that would leave me with plenty of room to display an enlargement of the cell as well as whatever else I wanted to display. So I ordered a frame from Walmart for $29.00 Available Here

Here's how it looks out of the box
deb8fc2fbd0cb1e3f35b562e0ad4b767.JPG

First off I knew I had make my own matte and I also wanted a black frame instead if the deep maroon/brown that it came with.

Flipping the frame over it seemed like it was going to be simple to disassemble.

9df4f42734a562d31346d543da33ef06.jpg

Four easy screws removed and I was ready to rock and roll.

First I sanded down the frame and painted it black

d4cd613397e30461321cd1edc8b81567.JPG

While that was drying I made the matte that was going to go between the digital screen and the glass out of black poster board
12406adae4901b8455852e760b9a654c.jpg

I electrical taped the cells to the back of the matte and I was done!
ecb812614f613c752a208867efae0027.jpg

90f0fd388694ac8e378824016803a78f.JPG

The picture below shows how this was accomplished

1c935286886bac1b58015a8fce5a68c1.jpg

The white area was used to light up the film cells and the top area was used to display whatever I wanted. The Back to the Future logo is a digital file, the pictures below it are the backlit cells.

I decided it would also be cool to display each cell with a screenshot of that frame one at a time so I blacked out the others while each frame was highlighted individually.

dbba75c8be6586cb03d19377783655fb.jpg

CLICK HERE to see a quick video I shot of it to give you the idea..

Because I already had an SD card this total project ended costing me $30. Not too shabby!

Here's is the template you can use if you'd like to make your own.

ae01773740866e46d9947bcc33a624fa.jpg

Download the 300 dpi pdf below.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Re: Cheap and Easy Film Cell Backlit Display (mine is BTTF)

wicked idea but you have to do the various fading pics on the frame too

This looks great. I'll have to save this in my memory for future reference. Good job.

Interesting idea, I wouldn't mind giving that a go.

Dude, that is sweet! what a great idea, nice work!

This is great, awesome idea. Now I need to find some cheap digital frames!.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It looks way better in person and the sky is the limit on pictures to display.

Great idea. I have a frame like this from an old black Friday sale and had no real use for it, but I may have to try this eventually!

So about a month ago I bought some 35mm BTTF film cells. I wanted to frame them but I knew if I wanted to be able to actually see them, they'd need to be backlit. I thought of a few different ideas: LED Lights, glass front/back frame, etc...then it hit me, a digital frame! A white area of a digital frame would have to light up a film cell. Plus that would leave me with plenty of room to display an enlargement of the cell as well as whatever else I wanted to display. So I ordered a frame from Walmart for $29.00 Available Here

Here's how it looks out of the box
deb8fc2fbd0cb1e3f35b562e0ad4b767.JPG

First off I knew I had make my own matte and I also wanted a black frame instead if the deep maroon/brown that it came with.

Flipping the frame over it seemed like it was going to be simple to disassemble.

9df4f42734a562d31346d543da33ef06.jpg

Four easy screws removed and I was ready to rock and roll.

First I sanded down the frame and painted it black

d4cd613397e30461321cd1edc8b81567.JPG

While that was drying I made the matte that was going to go between the digital screen and the glass out of black poster board
12406adae4901b8455852e760b9a654c.jpg

I electrical taped the cells to the back of the matte and I was done!
ecb812614f613c752a208867efae0027.jpg

90f0fd388694ac8e378824016803a78f.JPG

The picture below shows how this was accomplished

The white area was used to light up the film cells and the top area was used to display whatever I wanted. The Back to the Future logo is a digital file, the pictures below it are the backlit cells.

I decided it would also be cool to display each cell with a screenshot of that frame one at a time so I blacked out the others while each frame was highlighted individually.

dbba75c8be6586cb03d19377783655fb.jpg

CLICK HERE to see a quick video I shot of it to give you the idea..

Because I already had an SD card this total project ended costing me $30. Not too shabby!

Thanks for looking!

how did you do the blocking out of the other pictures in the film cells?

in your video they are all showing, then when those pictures that are in the film cells are shown in bigger format, they only show that picture at the bottom row.

did you program that electronically? how does that work? i thought you stuck on the film cells? so how are you making each one highlight by itself ?

in your video they are all showing, then when those pictures that are in the film cells are shown in bigger format, they only show that picture at the bottom row.

did you program that electronically? how does that work? i thought you stuck on the film cells? so how are you making each one highlight by itself ?

he uses the image below and puts black in the areas he doesnt want lit then white where he does.

great idea, very creative with a low budget ! :thumbsup

Pobbrett was right. Just fill in black for whatever cells you want hidden during that time.

for instance:

36eb35c9ebc43c415948072654c30079.JPG

This is the digital file for that shot

ec64e3dcf81fef2b3d975fbc098f42cf.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back