Nightwing: The Series - Custom Movie Armor [WIP] - Help Needed

Black Mamba

Hello everyone! I've only recently made account just now to actually post on here but I've been lurking on this website for a long long time. Everyone here does great work so I have come here to ask for a bit of help.

My friend and I decided to make a Nightwing fan film. But we also said that this is not going to be like any other fan films out there. So we talked to friends who own production studios and who also do fantastic 3D and special effects work to help us out. We have most filming equipment ready and we have acquired a budget for costumes and props.

LQgwCDPl.png

EDIT:
Thanks to everyone who helped out! Funding just finished and we've raised $34,495! And now the easy part is over...

Nightwing: The Series by Ismahawk ? Kickstarter

I have penned up a couple of designs and they are based on Vividtex's Halo IV Spartan Utility suit so thanks very much to him over at the 405th. This designed was also influenced by Nightwing's suit in Young Justice.

ipCE9Yml.jpg

The shaded areas are to help differentiate the different pieces, not representing the color scheme. But upon more discussion with the team and producers, we've decided that it doesn't exactly fit into the Nightwing universe we're trying to build. We wanted a more technical and real world armor. So we've found new inspiration.

12iJyGal.jpg

This one is based more on Nolan's Dark Knight universe and this is the feel we are going for.

So the reason I'm here is I need help with deciding what materials and processes to use to build this suit. We have a budget of up to $10,000 for materials and tools. I have built costumes and suits before but always have been on a no-budget type constraint. So now that we have an actual budget for this, I want to make this the best quality it can be. It needs to be almost movie-grade. I will be making one suit for close-ups and another simpler one for stunts.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated and I will be continually updating this thread as I go along in the process of making it.

Last edited:
Re: Nightwing - Custom Armor [WIP] - Help Needed

I would say do it the way alot of people make TDK suits, make all the armour out of foam and coat it in resin or plastidip and glue them to an undersuit, I actually am gonna be doin the exact same thing but with Robin as soon as my current build is finished, good luck, I really love a good fan movie :)

I would say do it the way alot of people make TDK suits, make all the armour out of foam and coat it in resin or plastidip and glue them to an undersuit, I actually am gonna be doin the exact same thing but with Robin as soon as my current build is finished, good luck, I really love a good fan movie :)

Thank you! I've built a couple of different Nightwing suits before with no budget using foam and although I like how it can be easier to work with and very cheap, I don't think I'll be going that route again. The foam doesn't have the precision and clean lines that I'm looking for.

Here's some images of the previous suits I've done.

eYGSOuml.jpg

wNZvByjl.jpg

It's more of a proof of concept at the moment than an actual suit to be used.

This new suit should be made of a lot more durable material. I will also be getting protective padding and support to be used under the suit too for stunt work. I'll update later tomorrow of some of the ideas I"ve been tossing around for materials.

I'm thinking of focusing on building a separate and complete undersuit first with the help of seamstresses I'm friends with. Then from there, I'll start making another top layer with all the detail pieces on top. Maybe not glued on but more of an attachment.

The idea of the separate undersuit came from Blue Realm Studio's build for the Halo IV live action teaser while I was doing research.

OaOm6cIl.jpg

This way it is more comfortable and the suit will have a good foundation to sit on.

Last edited:

I have drawn up some schematics on the logic behind how the suit should work. It's not just purely looks but it can actually be somewhat functional. I know this is ambitious but I know I can do it.

I'll have something up tomorrow too about that.

Last edited:

Really excited to see this... that model looks badass definitely liking the styling/suit....

man your stuff is awesome!!! I've just been checking it out! I wish I had the cash to donate enough to get a replica costume! that would ROCK!!! good luck with it though I really can't wait to see the awesome things you have in store :)

I've seen your shortfilms and I think they are pretty good, and so does 20,000 dollars worth of other fans :) . I was planning another fan film (not specifically Nightwing, but he would be appearing), but this is your thread and I'm not bogging this down. You have the money, time to use it.

Alright, if I understood what you said was correct, that you have 10,000 dollars to spend on your costume then... really, you have every option available.

As far as your design goes, if you want to go with a Nolan's theme then it probably won't involve an under suit that will have much to talk about, if you go with the young justice theme (not necessarily the series and back story, just costume direction), then the under suit probably will be most of the costume.

Now, I do not have experience or much knowledge of casting plastics, but it's how they made the Dark Knight's armor, so...

If you go with Nolan's then you probably will want to go with coming up with an armor plated design then you probably want to rather sculpt the armor plates, or cut out the designs in foam then cast in polyurethane (for harder pieces) or polystyrene (don't quote me on that one, but I think it's mildly flexible, but look in that direction).

Now if you want to go with the young justice look you may want to go with, A- Spandex, B- Neoprone, or C- a combination of Pleather (or leather) and another smooth fabric that gives.

That's just my two cents, but since I didn't have the money to donate it's all I can give.
I hope this helps you in any way.

-The Armorer

Last edited:
I'm so stoked to watch this when it gets put up. The original video you guys made was amazing as it was so I can't wait to see the improvements that custom costumes and just having a budget will produce.

I watched your trailer last week, all I can say is that I was blown away! I'm anxiously awaiting to see what you come up with:popcorn

This is really cool project to see going on. I'm excited to see it got funded on kickstarter!

I have a decent amount of experience with sculpting, and working with different plastics and rubbers when making my own Batman suit. It looks like you want to do something sleeker than what I did but I can see there are many similarities in how you want to approach it. If I can help with any input, I'd be more than happy. Here's a shot of the suit on my FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...2777049.-2207520000.1359436525&type=3&theater

All the armor in my suit is separate from the under suit and consists of 12 separate pieces, not including the cowl or neck piece, which gives me some good movement and flexibility. There's a mix of hard plastics (boot spats) and flexible rubber pieces (chest & upper arm piece), depending on the function of the piece.

Either way, good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing this come along!

This is really cool project to see going on. I'm excited to see it got funded on kickstarter!

I have a decent amount of experience with sculpting, and working with different plastics and rubbers when making my own Batman suit. It looks like you want to do something sleeker than what I did but I can see there are many similarities in how you want to approach it. If I can help with any input, I'd be more than happy. Here's a shot of the suit on my FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...2777049.-2207520000.1359436525&type=3&theater

All the armor in my suit is separate from the under suit and consists of 12 separate pieces, not including the cowl or neck piece, which gives me some good movement and flexibility. There's a mix of hard plastics (boot spats) and flexible rubber pieces (chest & upper arm piece), depending on the function of the piece.

Either way, good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing this come along!

Thanks! I've your work on that suit before and it is amazing. I've been wondering too, what kind of rubber did you use for the chest pieces and abs? Is it flexible?

hes uses task 13 from smooth on and it has good flexibility while still being sturdy

i live about 8 minutes from him haha im sure he'll chime in with an in depth explanation

I originally used task 13 but moved to smooth-on's task 16. Much more resilient and better work time. I find it best to brush it into the molds instead of slush casting. And it has real good flexibility too!

I'll usually lay up a thin coat first to ensure no air bubbles are trapped then *might* go up in batch size volume to build up thicker layers more quickly.

Last edited:
Do you know what kind of strong/industrial grade glue can be used to attach Task 16 to a cloth base? I remember seeing something like that a while ago but I can't remember what kind of glue.

Personally, I haven't had a whole lot of luck with glues. I've tested some strong ones but none seemed strong enough for my liking so I've never used them other than small tests. All of my pieces strap on over the under suit and none are directly attached. But e6000 is one of the stronger glues I've tested. And it's flexible.

So I've decided on a somewhat final design that I will pursue.

EuwfrTgl.jpg

Each piece will be individually molded and casted. But my question now is should I use the Task 16 or should I go with casting latex like the suit in Batman Begins? Does anyone know the pros and cons of each and what's the difference between casting latex and latex foam?

Mask Making Latex - Bat Black (5 gallon Quantity) - Latex Compounds - Casting Compounds - Flexible - CASTING AND PAINTING - The Monster Makers

This is the link to the casting latex I was looking at.

This will be the outline for the undersuit.

lu8LM1Vl.jpg

I'll be getting a full body cast of the actor to make sure that the suit will be form fitted for him.

Are there any tips on doing a body cast that I should be aware of?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back