Nightwing: The Series - Custom Movie Armor [WIP] - Help Needed

Sorry for the lack of posts, we've all been busy getting everything else together for the production. This is becoming bigger than this little team has ever imagined and it is awesome.

So anyway, I've continued refining the design a bit more and completing the look because the producers and directors want a good look at what is going to be made and what the money is going to be spent on.

yyuhOV9l.jpg

The legs will look like this and a belt will be included on Nightwing this time around. Almost all depictions of him in the comics and various media have no belt on him and I've decided that a utility belt of some kind will give the character a more practical and grounded approach and also serve as a prop to hide the seam of the top and the bottom. Our universe we're creating is based somewhat more in reality so I think it's a good idea.

The belt will resemble this design or will reference the Young Justice design.

JNx9g1Kl.png

Nightwing-young-justice-30785699-900-747.jpg

The gloves will also be these. The Blackhawk Hot Ops ventilated gloves. The gloves are actually functional and be cooling in a warm constricting suit, especially since we're filming in the spring here in the Las Vegas desert. I was also thinking of moulding and adding hard carbon fiber knuckles since one of the producers really loves that look. THe mesh will also match the mesh material used on the actual suit itself.

7y1KMtJ.jpg

The boots were an area of a bit of confusion. It was a choice between the Rothco Forced Entry 8" tactical boot or the UDReplica's Dark Knight boots.

9u99Zhj.jpg

The tactical boots are heavy duty and durable. It is also a bit of a generic design so we can use it in future videos. It is also a lot cheaper. The Dark Knight boots on the other hand have a sleek smooth look to it and the producers also like that design because it fits Nightwing's practicality and feel. Smooth and agile.

Anyone have opinions on the boots?

g88aBnOl.jpg

I am also making a pack for Nightwing's back so he can store his electrified batons.

It will look almost exactly like the one in the Dark Knight. Now I know that I'm taking a lot of ideas from the Dark Knight but in the overall design I think it flows with Nightwing's character and is still different enough to set it apart from the Dark Knight.

2aroYDtl.jpg

lxHLGRel.jpg

This pack will also be detachable for stunt sequences we have planned.

nice work!

I have always wanted to try taking a stab at making Nightwing's batons

but never could find any good pics... nor settled on a 'version' either..

anybody got some pics/links/refs for the batons? :)

I do like the look of the tall boot from the Dark Knight. But I think it would be cool if you could find something or fabricate something that wasn't an exact replica from the movie. What about doing something along the lines of the first Tim Burton Batman? They used a Nike sneaker and built up around it to give it a tall boot look.

Batman Rocks the Air Trainer SC ? It's A Sneaker Thing

I've always felt a superhero boot should be tall. Just below the knee. Instead of at or just above the ankle. Maybe you can take the tactical boot and modify it? Just my two cents.

I'm not sure if you've purchased the gloves yet, but these have served me very well in the past when looking for tactical gloves. I actually have used them for both costumes and actual activities because they are such good quality.

Granted, that link goes to a rather more expensive pair, but a little ebay searching and you can find them for under $10.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. This project looks kick ass and I am looking forward to seeing its progression!

I'm not sure if you've purchased the gloves yet, but these have served me very well in the past when looking for tactical gloves. I actually have used them for both costumes and actual activities because they are such good quality.

Granted, that link goes to a rather more expensive pair, but a little ebay searching and you can find them for under $10.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. This project looks kick ass and I am looking forward to seeing its progression!

Thanks! I'll probably just get those. It'll save me the work of adding the hard knuckles. Do the gloves cover the wrist as well?

love the new designs for this costume! its gonna look so rad when its done. just a quick question about the original costume what kind of foam did you use to make it?

love the new designs for this costume! its gonna look so rad when its done. just a quick question about the original costume what kind of foam did you use to make it?

It was a mix of 6mm and 3mm craft foam. For parts that needed more thickness and support, I just layered them on top of each other and used super glue. And for a couple of the accents that needed different texture, I heated my oven to about 270 degrees and put the foam inside sandwiched between two cookie pans and left it for about 7-10 minutes. The result was the foam having a shiny smooth texture while being a little tougher.

Thanks for the info it's a huge help I'm currently working on my own Nightwing costume. As far as the pack for the baton storage have you thought about using the design from the Arkham city game, just so that you're not taking too much from TDK? I think with your design it would look just as cool. Only problem is that you might have to have telescoping batons which would still be bad ass just not sure that's what you're going for

View attachment 148074

Yeah I'll see if I can incorporate some of the design from Arkham City. I really like it too. It might be a little more challenging to have it detachable for stunts. One cool feature that we really haven't "revealed" yet about the suit is that the Nightwing pack we're going to have has battery charges that gives the batons it's electric charge and can be used once for a strong stunning taser effect into his knuckles for a punch. You will be able to see the electric charge travel down from the pack into lines feeding into knuckles. The "braces" on his forearms will glow a light blue.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I'll be doing the actor's life cast next week. One questions about casting the body mold. Should I do a hollow cast of the full body mold or a solid cast? I will be using hydrocal for the positive since I can get a lot for cheap here.

And it's probably easier to do the cast in sections and then join them after? I've been looking into doing collapsible forms.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll probably just get those. It'll save me the work of adding the hard knuckles. Do the gloves cover the wrist as well?

The gloves cover about as much of the wrist as a batting glove would, but there is no shell guarding the wrist (unlike the knuckles).

Thanks guys!

I'll be doing the actor's life cast next week. One questions about casting the body mold. Should I do a hollow cast of the full body mold or a solid cast? I will be using hydrocal for the positive since I can get a lot for cheap here.

And it's probably easier to do the cast in sections and then join them after? I've been looking into doing collapsible forms.

I have done very little casting, but from what I have found I can say that it depends on the project, and how you are willing to work. The hollow cast requires a bit more awareness since it is less durable than the solid, but is overall easier to handle. But if you are doing it in sections, I would go solid. Again, I am not that experienced with this, but there's my 2 cents.

Sorry for the lack of updates! We've been caught up rewriting the script and we're just about finished. We needed to know what's in the script before I start making any props and budget accordingly. But in the meanwhile, I've started practicing lifecasting for some of our other shorts. And if anyone here has done any lifecasting, you know that is a whole other endeavor in itself.

If anyone is interested, I can share what I've learned in the process.

I used Genesis V alginate for the face impressions and medical grade plaster bandages for the rest of the body for whatever I need.

h5hRbTK.jpg

nRs9Y0t.jpg

This is the result of one of my trial and errors. The cast is made of hydrostone with burlap as reinforcement and filled with Polyfoam F3 for support

7VQ9ONB.jpg

I also ordered some Task 16 to try out. I might be looking into making the blue Nightwing logo slightly iridescent but that might not turn out how I want it. I'll try it nonetheless.

gtp8oCY.jpg

Also got an issue of Death in the Family for some inspiration.

kyowMNdl.jpg

On another note: this book is one of the most helpful books you can get for any kind of lifecasting techniques to mask making to working with different costume materials. I got a lot of help from this in making some makeup prosthetics from this book. You can find it pretty cheap on Amazon or eBay.

UqMDamC.jpg

And for anyone who's interested, this is what I used those lifecasts for when I was practicing doing lifecasts and prosthetics. ZOMBIES

f6fbXGW.jpg

A3AzRwb.jpg

It was for a short we did for a 48 Hour film festival. Yes, we did it in 48 hours. This also helped me immensely in using silicone since I will be using it a lot for molding on this Nightwing project. It's all about practice.

Attachments

• h5hRbTKl.jpg
    h5hRbTKl.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 140
  • nRs9Y0tl.jpg
    nRs9Y0tl.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 7VQ9ONBl.jpg
    7VQ9ONBl.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 102
  • gtp8oCYl.jpg
    gtp8oCYl.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 95
  • UqMDamCl.jpg
    UqMDamCl.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 116
  • f6fbXGWl.jpg
    f6fbXGWl.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 149
  • A3AzRwbl.jpg
    A3AzRwbl.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back