How to weather my Bane Jacket

bschossler

Hello everyone!

I have put together this Bane costume for use at children's parties to fight Batman.

I am happy with how it turned out, however if possible I would like to weather the leather jacket so it comes out darker.

Attached are some photos.

Any suggestions? I got it from a guy on eBay. It was a steal, real leather and wool. I am a little nervous as I do not want to ruin it.

The best way to weather leather is to razor it. Technically ruining it. Another good thing to do is to drag it on asphalt, but be careful of the wool.

by scratching the leather, it will come out even lighter. if you want it to look darker, i would recommend light spray paint or leather dye as the other poster said

I would simply suggest wearing it in your daily life lots if its possible. Places like public transport or pubs/bars or out walking in built up areas and it'll naturally pick up dirt and become worn without having to cut, paint or ruin the jacket. And you can always take it to the dry cleaners if you want it looking like new again. Nice costume by the way

certain leather oils can darken the leather. I would not recommend dragging on the asphalt, especially if you value the longevity of the coat. as others have posted sanding, or scratching will reveal the under layer which will lighten the coat.

for jacket info, I would really recommend film jackets forum, alot of good information on ageing/distressing.
Pick up some neats oil or mink oil, this will permanently darken the leather and will smell for a few days until its sets in.
Another route you can go which I picked up from superdrool is shoe polish in either black or brown, its easier on the nose and easier to clean up if you dont like the end result.

Thanks for all the great advice. I am thinking of going with either paint or shoe polish. Does shoe polish work well joshspiderman23 ?

Thanks for all the great advice. I am thinking of going with either paint or shoe polish. Does shoe polish work well joshspiderman23 ?

yeah shoe polish works well especially for lighter hides, for ref superdrool used it on his X2 especially on the stripes which were once a very bright yellow. Another nice thing is you can pull off some of the polish if you think one area has to much.

175140.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back