My Jayne Cobb Boo revolver

oldgojira

So after searching around and not finding any other avenue, I had to finally resign myself to getting one of the arsenal resin guns for my boo.

As I started cleaning it, I was looking at this site which has pix of the actual gun used by Adam Baldwin for Firefly. I noticed quite a few differences...probably because the original used for the resin model was not Adams. It was a denix with the extra bits added. Anyway, I decided that since I've got gobs of time before I'll need the gun, that I would try and make it closer to the on screen boo.

I used my dremel to cut through under the cylinder for the bullets. Next I was eyeing the next part to cut out under the barrel and I noticed the rail on top not only was really skinny, but the grooves were in the wrong location.

dsc04208ea.jpg

20130126190311.jpg

As I was looking at the grooves, I happened to glance around and see some balsa wood I had picked up from Michael's for another project. I decided that I would fill out the top a bit, and correct the grooves at the same time.

20130126214514.jpg

After I superglued the balsa wood in place and cut the new grooves, I used wood putty to coat it and give it a uniform surface.

20130126222638.jpg

Here is the top of the prop, and my gun:

dsc04212r.jpg

20130126222917.jpg

I didn't take a before shot, but you can see the white resin and how skinny it was compared to the reference picture.

The only other thing I did tonight was start working on where the bullets go. I filled in the chambers a bit with wood glue, and will use epoxy to sculpt around where the bullets go. More pictures to come as I continue the project.

A few things I will be looking to do:

The silver cylinder under the barrel seems small. I may go to lowes tomorrow and get some PVC pipe to go over it, then will dremel out the windows in it.

I will probably use the same balsa trick to build out the barrel of the gun too, which also seems a bit small to me compared to the reference pictures.

-oldgojira

Last edited:
Nice job.
Your rework looks great.
You have a good eye for detail.
Its a shame that you have to do so much work .
I guess that the punishment for being a perfectionist. :cool :lol
When finished you will be proud to show off your new Boo.
Keep us posted on your progress.

My perfection has it's limits though...I just know I wanted it more accurate than what it was. Anyway, here's the goodies from today.

Went to lowes, got a 3/4" pvc pipe and cap. sanded the cap to get all the raised letters off of it.

20130127135258.jpg

Also drew in the line where I needed to cut away the excess. I set to work with my hacksaw and away I went.

Next I cut the PVC pipe, marked it up and started dremeling.

20130127201622.jpg

I'm not a steady hand, but the "windows" came out ok. The current "silver piece" under the barrel was misshapen, and actually drooped a bit...I made a decision and cut it off. I then made notches for my new silver piece to fit on the gun. I also noticed the shape of the under gun piece was a bit long so trimmed it up a bit too. Here's a test fit for the new piece.

20130127205650.jpg

It still needs some cleaning up and I'm going to _try_ and get the windows a little straighter. However, I think it's still a bit improvement over what was there. My next 2 issues are:

The top silver piece (I didn't notice before) is actually tilting to the site. I'm debating cutting it off and repositioning it.

The barrel. I can either use the same trick I did with the top piece and use balsa to fill it out....or....if I can find someone take a square piece of wood and make it into an octagon for me, I may just replace the barrel altogether.

-oldgojira

So, I was a bit stuck in how I wanted to move forward..especially since I really wanted to replace the barrel. While wandering around Michael's today with the family, I was hit by inspiriation. I ran home and ordered myself a perfect replacement gun barrel.

Amazon.com: Giant Pencil: Office Products

Of course I'll probably be recasting this gun since it's being cobbled together so that I have a nice solid piece. I will have to make a resin cast of this anyway:

Amazon.com: Rough Rider Patrick Henry: Sports & Outdoors

I've glued the broken pieces of the handle and will need to fill in some gaps with "green stuff" and smooth it out before I cast a mold of it.

-oldgojira

Great job so far. I got a broken handle patrick henry as well and glued the handle and it looks great. I would like to make a cast of mine as well. I was wondering what you will use as a mold if you don't mind sharing. Thanks.

I'm not sure yet. I've seen some YouTube videos on making molds so ill review those before making my decision. For the gun ill probably make the mold in two pieces...not sure on the knife.

The pencil was too big...however since I'm not in a house yet to get my new tablesaw I asked someone to shave it down for me by a little bit. I should be getting it back this week so we'll see how it comes out.

I was afraid of what the barrel would look like, since my friend said he messed up a bit...but really it's only a few knicks here and there (he didn't know what I wanted it trimmed down for). Anyway, I pinned the new barrel with some paperclips and snapped off a shot.

All in all, I'm more pleased with the new barrel vice the old one. The old one was smaller, and it was warped a bit and would have taken much more work to correct.

I messed up the top piece a bit when I cut it off the crappy barrel, but I'll just fill it in with green stuff or putty. It's a good thing I came to grips with making a new resin model of this when I'm done.

I'm still not happy with the slots in the piece under the barrel....I have plenty of PVC so I may try again...and again...I was looking at a few devices to help make a straighter line with my dremel. There is a straight edge guide that it can clamp onto so I may give that a whirl.

Shaved the body where the lift up silver piece goes. Cut new pieces out of balsa to give them a bit more definition. Shaved under the barrel for the cylinder that sits under the barrel fits and pieced it together temporarily to take a pic of the progress.

20130217145143.jpg

20130301175159.jpg

Had to putty/sand the grips, since I didnt like how the handgrips had a lot of play when I dry fit them in.

After redoing the silver cylinder underneath the barrel, cutting the barrel, puttying the barrel, sanding the barrel, puttying the barrel, sanding the barrel, puttying the barrel, sanding the barrel (you get the picture) I was finally able to assemble what I have.

Next task is fitting the side piece and then I should hopefully be able to make a mold.

My timeline was suddenly accelerated since I didn't realize

1) philly comic con is next weekend
2) jewel staite is going to be there

Originally I wasn't going to go, but when I found out jewel and a bunch of other firefly cast were going to be there, I decided to go. Of course, that meant moving my costume along....

So instead of casting my gun as I had planned, I spot glued the handle and the side piece on with minimal glue that I'll hopefully be able to take off later when I am ready to cast. Here's boo primed:

20130527211253.jpg

And starting to paint details

20130527223722.jpg

I won't obviously be able to take the knife and I won't have time to mold a resin/rubber copy of it, but at least boo is just about done.

Attachments

• 20130527223709.jpg
    20130527223709.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 20130527223821.jpg
    20130527223821.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 245
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back