Doctor Strange

Vivek

Master Member
Kevin Feige Confirms ANT-MAN As Official Start to Marvel’s Phase Three, Which Will Include DOCTOR STRANGE | Collider

"Beyond that… Ant-Man is the only one officially announced, but you probably don’t have to look too far to guess at the next list of characters we’re toying with and beginning to develop…Doctor Strange, which I’ve been talking about for years, is definitely one of them. He’s a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he’s totally different from anything else we have, just like Guardians of the Galaxy. He’s totally different from anything we’ve done before, as is Ant-Man, which keeps us excited."

I can't believe they are rebooting this property already!

doc-1987.jpg

medium_phoot.jpg

Last edited:
Just speculating here but it sounds like they're starting to tie The Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos Imperative story arcs together.

I love JGL and all, and I understand Marvel is looking for a big name draw to replace RDJ as he's leaving the solo film game in Phase 3, but JGL is too often the default go-to name these days. Not really buying this bit from LR until Marvel makes an announcement, perhaps this week.

If true, he will be jumping from DC to Marvel universe.

Though I was guessing they would go with a less known star for the role. Still, this just might end up being only a rumor by this weekend.

Makes sense. JGL was reportedly up for the role Chris Pratt is playing in Guardians of the Galaxy... to use him for a larger Marvel hero in a more non-group role makes much more sense in my book.

I tend to think of Dr. Strange as a bit older... but, I also thought of Tony Stark as younger than RDj, too. JGL is perfect choice for a longer term casting - he's got the chops and everything needed for a great Doctor Strange in my book!

...is JGL really a big name? I think he's on a similar level as Chris Evans. JGL might have more credibility as an actor than Evans - having worked on more indie films (and sigh, those terrible Nolan films people like to rave about)... but, he's not really a big name.

^ That's the thing, JGL isn't a global box office draw like say Depp or Leo, that's why I don't think he's a great replacement for RDJ star power in Phase 3.

Comparison to Chris Evans seems about right, but I would consider JGL as quite the Hollywood star after Inception, TDKR and Looper, course he is not like RDJ level big name with huge salary backing.

^ That's the thing, JGL isn't a global box office draw like say Depp or Leo, that's why I don't think he's a great replacement for RDJ star power in Phase 3.

RDJ didn't really have the power at the time of IM1 - IM1 got him that power back though.

He'd just come off his what? 3rd or 4th rehab stint? And was really a pariah in hollywood circles. I seem to remember them having to jump through hoops to get him insured or something so they could actually make the first one. One of the subplots for the release was can he still be as good sober?

Clearly he nailed it and has now achieved a level higher than he ever had before. Wasn't the case going in though.

difference here is...Chris Evans cant act though :)

they use him to be a pretty boy...but as far acting 'skill'... I dont think hes on the same level as JGL..

(sorry Chris) LOL

I think JGL is just too young for the role. I think he is a terrific actor and one of my favs but I just don't see him as Doctor Strange. However the movie could take a different direction and move away from the comic book. I guess we shall see!

RDJ didn't really have the power at the time of IM1 - IM1 got him that power back though.

He'd just come off his what? 3rd or 4th rehab stint? And was really a pariah in hollywood circles. I seem to remember them having to jump through hoops to get him insured or something so they could actually make the first one. One of the subplots for the release was can he still be as good sober?

Clearly he nailed it and has now achieved a level higher than he ever had before. Wasn't the case going in though.

Agreed but Marvel is looking to replace RDJ's current draw, not what they started with in IM1. JGL is also going to carry a much higher price tag than RDJ asked for pre-Avengers, as he's still a hot ticket today. Personally I think Marvel is better off looking for an up and coming star with tremendous talent upside for Dr Strange, maybe someone from television or overseas. If they're deadset on replacing RDJ and not take chances, then they need to set their sights higher than JGL in terms of star power.

JGL is indeed a better and talented actor with more range, but Chris Evans brought such heart to the character of Steve Rogers, his acting performance is worthy of admiration any day.

JGL is indeed a better and talented actor with more range, but Chris Evans brought such heart to the character of Steve Rogers, his acting performance is worthy of admiration any day.
Hmm. I was never completely sold on Evans' Cap - I think the way they made Cap talk had a lot to do with it. It was almost like everything they had him say was a liner or made to be a clip.

I loved the movie and think Evans did a solid job (his acting was a lot more than just reciting lines)... just the choices they made in the way Captain America spoke seemed off to me.

For me the ONE actor I can see doing Dr. Strange Really well is Hugh Laurie, I think he would knock it out of the park.

JGL isn't RDj and never will be. RDj brought a lot of "weight" to Iron Man - he gave it some credibility (and it worked otherwise is could have been "Aging Actor in Comic Book Flop" - rather than a comeback (and more) of epic proportions).

JGL is a still young actor that's gotten lots of credibility... the guy can act and has made some great choices to earn that credibility (I loved Hesher). I, too see Strange as a bit older (the Viggo rumor was great), but... this is a different Marvel Universe.

I think JBL could work wonders and come off as that cocky young surgeon who gets humbled when he loses use of hands... as far as him becoming Sorcerer Supreme... well, I'll have to see that. :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back