Wild Wild West (TV) James West Costume - Complete

Re: WIP - Wild Wild West (TV) James West Costume

You can fake the turquiose bolo slide with a turquoise ring. Just use a safety pin to hold it in place on the tie.

Lynn

That is an excellent idea.

Now, I just have to find a turquoise ring! So far, three thirft store, no luck...

Maybe a costume jewelery place? (It is for a costume, after all...)

Costume jewelery place, costume jewelery area in a department store or even one of those kiosks in major malls. Turquoise has gotten really cheap.

Looking Good!

Buckle
Well I can't really see it I don't have my glasses on! LOL If you can get a good closeup of it I'd find someone that can do lost wax casting.

Here's my personal screencap that I use...

screencapl.jpg

Last edited:

You sew very well. I can't help wondering where you learned it. I noticed your Pfaff 1222. Great machine and it does a load of different stitches, It also has a nice built in even feed foot!(walking foot)

Great looking costume. I'm especially impressed that you were able to do the holster on your sewing machine!

Thanks, Tiberius! That will help. (I'm still not sure how I'm going to tackle it...)

Pat- also thanks- I'm afraid I mostly learned it the hard way, tons of trail and error. Lots and lots of error. I do love my Pfaff- my favorite feature may be the needle threader! (Best $15 at a thrift store I've ever spent!)

mtpalin- also also thanks. Since the holster is just vinyl, it was easy for the sewing machine to do. A real leather rig would have required a much bigger machine...

Ok- though the magic of eBay, I found a very cheap turquoise ring for my tie:

JamesTWest431_zpsa95971b1.jpg

So that's one more item checked off the list.

In the meantime, I found some hardware at a yardsale, so I've been working on one of the fancier props on the list. I'll just put the pictures below:

JamesTWest45_zps39bc281e.jpg

JamesTWest48_zps87f7c19b.jpg

JamesTWest416_zps3451f816.jpg

JamesTWest414_zpsbe167672.jpg

(Next to make the straps... super cheapo-plastic derringer is on order...)

Last edited:

OK, I give up! Where did you find the fabric for the jacket?

Tiberius is correct- I actually ordered it from Jo-Ann's online.

I added the straps to the arm rig:

JamesWest46_zpsea59b541.jpg

JamesWest412_zps27fd7e54.jpg

JamesWest413_zpsfa95c43d.jpg

Now I just need the stupid toy derringer- should have arrived by now...

I also did a (pretty wacky, quick & dirty) version of the belt buckle:

JamesWest42_zps8080f4fc.jpg

JamesWest47_zpsf15f5e27.jpg

JamesWest417_zps3936bffe.jpg

That's right, I used the "glue on random junk & paint it" method. Should look decent from a distance...

Nice! I have only seen a few episodes of this show, but it's really cool. I like your sleeve gun!

The bracer is looking good. I would totally use that daily. You would be the coolest person ever if you used it to deliver quick draw fruit snacks.

"Do you have a banana? I have one....RIGHT HERE!"
"Want a peach? HAAAH!"

And if you are wondering it is me.

Rue

You would be the coolest person ever if you used it to deliver quick draw fruit snacks.

"Do you have a banana? I have one....RIGHT HERE!"
"Want a peach? HAAAH!"

So- peaches are a no-go. Same with apples and grapefruit. (Watermelons are right out!)

The banana almost worked- I'd need to find slightly smaller fruit and wear bigger sleeves, though...

In the meantime, the super-cheapo toy derringer arrived! So I set about hacking it up and installing it on the arm rig:

Derringer1_zps01b3afc2.jpg

Derringer2_zps69ac60b2.jpg

Derringer4_zpsabcc33ad.jpg

Derringer5_zpsaec3bb47.jpg

Derringer8_zps7bd83697.jpg

So, almost there....

I have to say you have inspired me to make a jacket. I don't think I'll do all the other stuff but the jacket is neat! I am impressed with the quality of your work and your creativity.

Thanks Pat & Ruddigger!

I wouldn't call this 100% done yet (I may still make the chaps) but I did get to wear it to WonderCon in Anaheim this year:

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back