Foam Iron man MKIII PIC HEAVY updated Feb 21

rob 2fast4u

well guys n girls here's my first post on here and its going to be my first build ever! hopefully this doesn't turn out a disaster but I've done a bunch of research and now its just down to patience. It started as just watching video's on youtube on how to build an arc reactor and it didn't take long to be consumed by the whole suit and how "easy" it is to build one.

-Plans are to build it all out of EVA foam (anti fatigue garage/floor foam)
-using allpurpose white glue to strengthen it and smoothen out the surface before sanding/painting
-spraying plasti dip then paint (have not made up my mind yet on the colour)

If you see anything I'm doing wrong don't be afraid to say as this is my first ever build and will appreciate the help.

Oh and thanks for JFcustom for the files!!

Last edited:
Re: First post! Iron man MK 7 build

What material did you use for the see through white part to glow. I am going to do my own arc reactor with a led light, type of housing and then idk what to use for the top white-ish part

cool stuff, im on the MK7 and im putting alot of 'toys' into the suit. if you need advice or info etc give me a shout!

you can get hold of me quicker on facebook my link is below. im on there alot more,,,

all the best

the most annoying part is this!!!!!!!!

You'll have a hard time glueing these together. The markings for the overlapping parts are missing and the should be pretty accurate because that is how you get the curve. Maybe try a thinner foam too. I choose the same Abdominal version as you did and it was a pain the *****! But it looks best in my opinion. Good luck and happy building!

What material did you use for the see through white part to glow. I am going to do my own arc reactor with a led light, type of housing and then idk what to use for the top white-ish part

For the ring I used two clear plastic cups and layed them ontop of the LED's
Also you can go to the dollar store and get plastic storage containers that are some what clear but faded at the same time those work well to diffuse the light if you ever needed to.

You'll have a hard time glueing these together. The markings for the overlapping parts are missing and the should be pretty accurate because that is how you get the curve. Maybe try a thinner foam too. I choose the same Abdominal version as you did and it was a pain the *****! But it looks best in my opinion. Good luck and happy building!

Yes all these pieces have made me stop the progress so far! the markings aren't there but the pieces are sized with the excess in mind I just haven't trace them out yet in that picture. I have tried to look around locally for thinner foam and no luck the closest is those foam sheets that are the same size as paper for printers and they are way to thin (there is a piece on the lower forearm)

I have a dilema everyone!!!
Originally I wanted to build a mk3 / mk III / whatever you prefer, BUT I then found JFcustoms files and seen that he simplified the MK7 suit foam files and I chose that as my first build. Now I did some browsing last night and noticed that he also made MK3 files!!!!!:facepalm and they look a lot simpler and cleaner looking. It looks like less gluing to form bends and instead you cut out a notch in the back of the foam to get the bend... to me it makes its a cleaner design than having to glue two pieces together, also the mk3 is overall a more rounded shape.

I dont know what to do? continue on with this mk7 or do what I originally wanted the mk3 and possibly have it looking better and take less time to create it.

Last edited:
Re: First post! Iron man MK7 or 3??? NEED ADVICE!!

walked away from the MK7 build and paid attention to the helmet for now until I know what I want to build either the mk7 or mk3 :confused

Last edited:
Re: Iron man MK7 or 3??? NEED ADVICE!!

You know I'm not satisfied with the foam unfolds I provided for Darkside501st's mkVII.v1
I did not re-edit this model to make it foam friendly, and as a result you're using templates that are not as easy as I like them to be. Though your chest part is a success, I'm afraid the back part might be much more tricky and twisted...
If you want a mkVII, I recommend you to wait for Darkside501st's mkVII.v2 model to be released (I'm looking forward to put my hand on them too!). And in the meantime I also recommend you to build the mkIII.

Looking good i like the arc reactor..
Thanks I might end up making another one, slimmer design and without the copper tubes acting as a power source and the case as a ground. I'll probably get pre wired LED from ebay and compact them into the ring somehow.

You know I'm not satisfied with the foam unfolds I provided for Darkside501st's mkVII.v1
I did not re-edit this model to make it foam friendly, and as a result you're using templates that are not as easy as I like them to be. Though your chest part is a success, I'm afraid the back part might be much more tricky and twisted...
If you want a mkVII, I recommend you to wait for Darkside501st's mkVII.v2 model to be released (I'm looking forward to put my hand on them too!). And in the meantime I also recommend you to build the mkIII.

Thanks for replying JF! I thought the unfolds would be easier for some reason I must of miss read. The chest piece was tricky at the bottom corners. When the pieces overlap I had to customize some parts to fit. I think I'll stop the build process with the mkVII and start with the 3... what I originally wanted to do.
Can you say that your versions of the mkIII have less pieces? I prefer cutting a V shape into the back of one piece of foam to get my angles instead of gluing two pieces together. And I was reviewing your files for the MKIII and I like them so far!

There also was an already enabled setting in the pdo files I tuned for mkVII : 'join adjacent edges', that once on can't be set off, and creates some approximations on the 2D view. That's why some pieces don't have the expected size, and why you needed to customize them.

The mkIII files are probably the simplest ones. With Extremis. I first brought back Dancin_fool's model under Blender in order to virtualy merge as many pieces as possible, so yes there's far less pieces on mkIII templates than on VII's. And a clean unfolding of each part from the very start to the end ensures you'll use some zero-doubt and tweak-proof templates.

Keep your mkVII's arms for later, and have fun with mkIII :D

There also was an already enabled setting in the pdo files I tuned for mkVII : 'join adjacent edges', that once on can't be set off, and creates some approximations on the 2D view. That's why some pieces don't have the expected size, and why you needed to customize them.

The mkIII files are probably the simplest ones. With Extremis. I first brought back Dancin_fool's model under Blender in order to virtualy merge as many pieces as possible, so yes there's far less pieces on mkIII templates than on VII's. And a clean unfolding of each part from the very start to the end ensures you'll use some zero-doubt and tweak-proof templates.

Keep your mkVII's arms for later, and have fun with mkIII :D

thats what I like to hear :thumbsup time to start cutting... I'll give an update when I have a couple pieces made cheers

Re: Iron man MK3 in progress

I sealed the helmet with PVA glue first two coats was watered down 1:1 ratio then went with pure pva glue for the last two coats. Apply'd two coats of primer then painted it using duplicolor inferno red metallic then a two coats of clear.

the paint color looks amazing but having it built out of foam you can see the imperfections from the shape of the helmet (see the last three pics) I tried sanding the pva glue but it doesn't do to well with sanding. I am now going to make another helmet and see what else I can attempt to make the shape better and cleaner looking. Maybe I'll make a mould from the foam helmet then use bondo on the remoulded helmet to make it smoother and fix any imperfections

Re: Foam Iron man MK III helmet done and painted

The paint looks really good, great job! The only problem is the raised section below the faceplate should be gold too. Other than that, one of the best looking foam helmets I've seen.

wow well thanks for the compliment! I noticed after I painted it that the lower section should have been gold also OOPS.

Heres a small update I have started the build over from the mk7 to the mk3 and progress is going well. I have the right arm done (hand plate, forearm, elbow, bicep and shoulder) and will start doing the torso soon and I may have to redo the whole arm I will find out after I build the torso but it looks pretty big at the moment but nothing unbearable.

UPDATE
ordered some foam today from ebay this foam is flat on both sides so I wont have to deal with that diamond shape pattern on the back side. I still will need to use the black anti fatigue foam for the bigger pieces but these sheets should help me out a bunch!
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

6mm thickness, and perfect density!
IMG_0293.jpg

half way done the torso, have to make the flap sections on the back, the spine and try to find where the rest of the center of the back is??? might have to contact JF to see if the rest of the center is custom or not.

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back