32" falcon grills

Yeah i said fabric or card Julien, really reminds me of speaker cone paper, id be betting its a found item that was lay about the workshop!

Lee

Oh well, I thought the croc parts might have been it. I might use them for my build if I cant find something better or easier.

That's a good guess D.Pain. So is the fabric but I just don't see it given the pattern looks too uniform to my eye. Its good that we are looking at it this closely. Combined, I believe we will nail this.

Joe

I've been looking at trailers. I just wish I had more kits in hand to look at. Trying to find pics on the net is mind numbing.
I think the pattern could be found on a trailer side wall or maybe ramps leading into a trailer.
I don't think it could be paper either. The common flaws in each vent section suggests they made 1 section and cast it. I doubt paper could be cast and hold a that fine & consistent pattern.

I agree. Def a cast of a kit part or found object. So was the TIE absolutely unavailable at the time? If not the MPC kit, then maybe a toy?

The only MPC TIE model that was released at the time was Vader's, as someone pointed out, which has the wrong pattern. The Kenner toys at the time had a sticker for the grid pattern, so no help there.

Re: 32" faclon grills

cool shade was used on the 5 footer, so they had to use some thing else that was dimensionally correct. the pic shows vintage cool shade with ketzers engine part....it's not correct.

Is this the smaller scale Koolshade or is it the large scale Koolshade? I used to work in a factory where they had a mass amount of it. They were throwing it away, one day and I asked if I could have it. They said that they can't give it away so I asked if I could buy it and they said I can't have it or buy it due to insurance reasons. If I got hurt because of it I could turn around a sue them.

Here is my guess:

A metal coffee filter, I am sure they would have a few lieing around after a long day

498229610_512.jpg

Side note, mesh can be controlled by size and pattern type.

Source:

Round Coffee Filters - Buy Round Coffee Filters,Disc Coffee Filters,Coffee Maker Metal Filter Product on Alibaba.com

Last edited:
Re: 32" faclon grills

Is this the smaller scale Koolshade or is it the large scale Koolshade? I used to work in a factory where they had a mass amount of it. They were throwing it away, one day and I asked if I could have it. They said that they can't give it away so I asked if I could buy it and they said I can't have it or buy it due to insurance reasons. If I got hurt because of it I could turn around a sue them.

I was wondering about this last night. What telepathic noticed about the way the pattern runs over the vertical bars looks a lot like Koolshade molded and casted on the new eFX and Steve's TIE. Maybe there was a different Koolshade pattern or a different screen was used for the master.

Joe

I have a hunch the 32' falcon "koolshade" is a charcoal or graphite rub off(like indiana jones does on the grail tablet halve in the last crusade) on 8 times folded paper to get the 8 vertical lines and then when folded back flat rubbed off with pencil or charcoal on the 1/44 saturn V rocket rimmed/ribbed section of the main rocket tubes.
What do you guys and girls think of this idea?Foto0801.jpg

Last edited:
Picture is in post above,..if you want a more convincing mockup image than i need a set of 6 casted vent rings.
Pm me if you can cast those aswell for me.
Cheerio:)

Last edited:
Is it possible ILM poured some silicone on a wing of one of their existing tie fighter props from ANH or ESB and then cast it and cut it into a circle to fit in the exhaust vents? I don't know if that koolshade is in the same scale as the falcon, I don't have that much experience with this stuff...

Is it possible ILM poured some silicone on a wing of one of their existing tie fighter props from ANH or ESB and then cast it and cut it into a circle to fit in the exhaust vents? I don't know if that koolshade is in the same scale as the falcon, I don't have that much experience with this stuff...

Yes I read somewhere that thats exactly what they & it was moulded with rubber that shrinks when it dries,....so that they could get a scaled down version

Looking back on this very thread MonsieurTox mentioned that you can see that the 6 vents show the same moulding & casting flaws:
mfgrill2_zps7822f0db.jpg

J

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the thought they are casted grilles aswell,..but the material looks so flat on the pictures,so i am not convinced.
I also looked at corduroy fabric wit 8 needles/guitar strings stuk through them but no good result the lines are to broad although it has the dusty fabric look.
Maybe in the '70 the fabric was finer,.thighter for sure but loose at the same time,:lol
Did they have xerox machines in '79,..maybe they just used photographs of the ANH tie koolshade and photocopied them in a reduced scale or just put the koolshade on the xerox machine or used slides of the photos

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the thought they are casted grilles aswell,..but the material looks so flat on the pictures,so i am not convinced.
I also looked at corduroy fabric wit 8 needles/guitar strings stuk through them but no good result the lines are to broad although it has the dusty fabric look.
Maybe in the '70 the fabric was finer,.thighter for sure but loose at the same time,:lol
Did they have xerox machines in '79,..maybe they just used photographs of the ANH tie koolshade and photocopied them in a reduced scale or just put the koolshade on the xerox machine or used slides of the photos
You were right and I was wrong . . . oh well :)
Thanks to this convenient video about how the MR falcon was made <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb63W0xlm28> there is a segment that talks about how the falcon prop was scanned with white light scanning, and that the resolution of the final 3d model was down to "one ten-thousandth of an inch," and voila!:

falcon vents.png

Surely, if the vents had some sort of texture, they would have been picked up at such a small resolution. So, these things must have been xeroxed or printed or whatever they did back in the day. BUT! they are not from a picture of the 5 footer's vents, because the 8 vertical lines apparent on the 32incher do not mach the 6 on the 5 footer. So good luck trying to find exactly what they took an image of! It was probably another model...maybe

Good to read that now we have some sort of proof the vents are not truly grilles.
Or they are indeed reliefed but covered with a translucent material that flattens out the relief(overspray paint?,dust?)
If they are indeed flat than they must have used either a spraying sjablone or in my "new"opinion a photo or something like that.
The problem with the photo or xerox is that even at a reduced size koolshade does not have that many louvres between the lines.

I am going to have to disagree with you guys that think the grills are not in relief...

Those 3D scans done by Steven D. and his crew for the MR build are not all that detailed, I mean just look at them, they are missing details all over the place that you can clearly see on the studio model and are definitely larger than "one ten-thousandth of an inch", also all of the corners have been rounded off and all the details look 'mushy'...so that reference can not be used to determine much of anything.

crap_scan.jpg

(I actually do see a little bit of the detail relief on the engine grills on that 3D scan)

...And I'm just going to leave this here...

17407688_1599774663383913_958874117_o.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back