32" falcon grills

Oh and telepathic, I see what you mean. Interesting....this will def help to identify a kit, toy or whatever was used.

Joe

Re: 32" faclon grills

here is a couple thoughts I'll throw out here
my first though is it looks like a radiator grill

im thinking they did the same thing as Tim did, look closely, his screen has the same characteristics as ilm's where the 8 lines look to be underneath, but are really in the middle of the etching.
the only problem with that theory is, (1) why didn't they use the original stuff, and (2) if it's something they made, then made a cast of, where did the bubbles come from ??
they would have had to have made a mold off some found object, then made a cast (this is where the bubbles were created ), modified it, and recast it transferring the bubbles in the new six castings. or what other way could the bubbles get transfered ??
if your recasting an original piece, im assuming of course that it would not have those type of bubbles in the silicone, the bubbles would be the other way around, outward not inward.

I thought they were solid?
I had them photo-etched for mine:
MF_vent_cover.jpg

Lee, just checked the Kenworth W925 I have, no chance there IAF.
Grill is too small & the embossed radiator pattern just aint right.

Just a thought, but how about the big Monogram 1/16 Kenworth, would that have been out at the time?.
Stu

Ah cheers Stu, my lack of ANH donor knowledge outs me again lol!
Ill have to check the kit date if its possible, but boy it seems ILM reverse engineered this one well.
Even checked the C600 sidings as i recalled the raised lines, but alas, no grille pattern.

Lee

I have a closeup photo of the actual model, but I can't seem to include it in this message. I was doing some repairs on the 2 foot falcon at the archives for it's latest tour. The vents are definitely not mesh. The grid pattern is solid.
I wish I knew what it was precisely, but my best guess is that it is a ring from the old Saturn V kit with some additional dressing and a grill.

Just a thought, but how about the big Monogram 1/16 Kenworth, would that have been out at the time?.
Stu

Stu

According to my catalogs, the Monogram 1/16 Kenworth W-900 was released in 1981 and the Monogram 1/16 Peterbilt 359 Conventional in 1980.

Steven

Check the Crocodile part B 15.

Wow I think you are right there mate. Well done!.
I have a heap of these parts & I just placed them together allowing for the disc diameter & ridges & it comes up trumps IMO.
The pattern looks correct, length a tad short but easy to add more strip to lengthen.
I could see the ILMer's going to this extreme to find a matching pattern to the 5'.
I think it's a go, specially as the croc is ESB donor.
Stu

Sure mate, here's a couple of pics.
Now, the parts would have to be sanded on their edges & matched up to get even, but I believe they are a match.
Stu

Its close, and a cool route to a find, but im not so sure. The grille pattern is much more fine on the prop, the grilles on the Croc are a lot larger?

Lee

Lee, yeah, I think your'e right mate, looking closer at the pics I took of the croc parts & comparing them to the actual vents, the prop screen is alot more fine. Still, if I were to build a 32", I would use this route if nothing else turned up.
Stu

Stu, id join you, sanding the edges and joining those, then casting, well, they would look VERY good, its still a great little find.

lee

Yeah, kudo's to Darth_Pain for the find. Under paint, I feel they would look incredibly close, be good enough for me, life's too short to wait for the actual material if your'e building a 32" from scratch.
Stu

i just had a quick look at my monogram 1/16 kenworth and it's a shame it wasn't available around the time ilm built the 32".the radiator grill is extremely close,just lacks those thicker vertical lines.it does have vertical lines running through it but they are so fine i doubt they would show up in a photo or even a resin casting.

The croc parts are not the right parts for sure but they do look good !

Well I think they used some kind of fabric on the master they covered with paint/primer/resin/clear coat -I don't know- but with something for sure to seal it before pouring the rubber and they created the airbubbles in the process of sealing it. That's just an idea...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back