32" falcon grills

Quick hijack, but seeing this picture above reminded me that I still don't know what this part is from?

Anyone know what this donor is? It's one of the few parts I need to have a complete engine deck.

6IPVIuL.jpg

Scratchy,
I think it was Steven's (raiders) pics......not at home at the mo so I can't check.......but there is a good shot of what looks very much like raised lines ala the TIE Fighter wing. I wont jump to conclusions again.....I need to go over more ref but Frank and Moe's grills look spot on concerning the TIE wing.

Joe

Looking forward to the image.

However, I was looking through various TIE Fighter model kits on google and I couldn't find one that was available between 1977—1979 during the time of the construction of the 32" MF. The only TIE that I can find is the DV TIE Fighter, and the wing pattern is a recessed square diamond pattern. I know this model was used for ESB, but the part was placed in the main hanger among the gantry detail of the eight foot Star Destroyer.

Hmmmm.....good point. As for the pic...might be better to search it here. Steven, Al and was it Scott shared pics of the museum road show. I can post it but it wont be until Tuesday.

Joe

I agree with Lee. If you look at it you can see the horizontal pattern over the vertical lines. Doesn't look like it's solid, there's some transparency there.

That's more like it! That's pretty much the same thing I saw in the pic at home. I think this soft cast could have been pulled from a styrene piece. I think that's safe to assume right? I recall all the details (chips) being exactly alike. So we'd have to look past the soft resin as well.

Joe

Its also a clear indication of how the camera can lie, it seems Scratchy got a bit peeved at my statement, but its plain to see now those raised lines are all parallel, this is no handmade part in my eyes!

Lee

I do have to add one more little observation. Yes, the ILM guys did a lot of kit bashing but we do tend to sell them a little short. I am as guilty as anybody else, always looking for a kit part, but those guys were awesome builders. When they needed to scratch a part they were very capable of doing so. I believe the vents on the falcon are one of these instances where the 5 footer set the precedent and they had to fabricate something like it.

I agree with Lee. If you look at it you can see the horizontal pattern over the vertical lines. Doesn't look like it's solid, there's some transparency there.

No, no it's solid (actually it's a resin castings thus all those airbubbles), the kind of thing you think is showing through is actually a rust wash !

Just looked at my ref pics and the airbubbles are not from the casting but look to be from the master itself (or the mold) because you can see the same pattern on all 6 grills.

I agree. Def a cast of a kit part or found object. So was the TIE absolutely unavailable at the time? If not the MPC kit, then maybe a toy? Like telepathic said, they were masters of their craft. I mean the mentality of the 32" build was that their were half scaled versions of the kits used on the 5-footer. Surely they realized this when the Koolshade replication came up.

Joe

Hey Julien, that's interesting that it seems to be solid and the other 5 are identical. The reason I said transparency is because it appears that the 8 vertical running wires are underneath the top material. That material is continuous and is not interrupted by the verticals. Could it be a pattern that was on some found object?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back