32" falcon grills

No offense...but.

I never pass 10 years worth of research just to satisfy some one's curiosity.

..............besides. I cant remember!

No offense...but.

Thanks Frank, when I eventually find this donor kit, I will make it a point to post my findings so that everyone can benefit by it. After all, it is what this site is all about.

Hey Scratchy. What makes you believe the rings are a kit part? In my opinion they were scratchbuilt on the original. Just my 2 cents.

The outside perimeter of the rings looks very clean to be a either a kit part, or a combination of kit parts (SAG pg. 15). I can accept the possibility that this item could've been scratched with some form of plastic-brass tube, detailed with styrene chips, then cast for multiple copies. However, the consistency of thickness of the perimeter edges leads me to believe that a couple donor parts where utilized. An inside ring, inserted into an outside tapered ring.

As I recall, I asked a question with no malice or disrespect intended about this particular area.

No offense...but.

I'll always try and be as helpful as possible to others, that are on this forum or other forums when building a model, that is similar to the one I'm building.

Hi Scratchy, I commend you on your attitude when it comes to sharing info on donor parts, I share the same opinion as you. I think as a community we should help others in order to grow our hobby unfortunately not everyone is on the same page with regards to the matter. Again in my opinion, we are just copying the work of others. As far as the Falcon engine vents go it is my opinion that they were complete scratches, possibly turned on a lathe but if they are a donor part I wish you luck with your search.
Take care.

Hi Scratchy, I commend you on your attitude when it comes to sharing info on donor parts, I share the same opinion as you. I think as a community we should help others in order to grow our hobby unfortunately not everyone is on the same page with regards to the matter. Again in my opinion, we are just copying the work of others. As far as the Falcon engine vents go it is my opinion that they were complete scratches, possibly turned on a lathe but if they are a donor part I wish you luck with your search.
Take care.

I agree totally with you Telepathic on all points, whether we as model builders copy—replicate the works of engineers of actual vehicles, or the works of studio models of the fellows that "Paved the Way", it comes down to the growth of the hobby. If I do come across a "Eureka Moment", I'll be sure to post, so that all can benefit.

Thanks Frank, when I eventually find this donor kit, I will make it a point to post my findings so that everyone can benefit by it. After all, it is what this site is all about.

That is your choice.

Forgive my jaded feelings on this topic, but for the last 15 years I have received many an email which basically start out like:

"Hi, Im building a falcon, can I have your parts list?"

10 years of research at the time, 1000s of dollars in buying and searching through kits. Im supposed to just HAD out the info because someone asked for it?

I think not.

I have helped when and where I chose to, and I will not have the likes of anyone chastise me for not helping further.

We put our heart and soul into helping the MR team make the falcon they produced as accurate as possible, while protecting the info we had. NOT because we wanted to play NANER NANER, because if the info got out, RARE expensive kits would become RARER and MORE EXPENSIVE.

Helping MR was our way of letting EVERYONE benefit from the work we put into this model, while protecting our investment.

So we DID out part. I owe NOTHING to anyone else. If they do not like my feelings regarding this subject. Tough.

We have seen many folks start falcons, few have gotten past cutting out a pattern.
So alot of people drive up prices to kits, and accomplish nothing.

There HAVE been few exceptions. THEY know who they are, as what MANY of you do not know, is we HAVE helped folks at various times, always with the condition that HOW we have helped them remain a secret. NOT what we told them, but the fact we Helped at all.

By the way, I answered EVERY email I ever got with:
"Show me your progress, and I will help you where I can"

If they had build something that resembled a falcon, I helped. If they had PLANs and a cut up sheet of styrene, I did not.

ONE person wrote me back with actual progress. Morten Moeslund, and not only did we help each other, we became great friends.

Another person wrote, I helped him, and then he sold all our info and parts (at the time) to someone else.

THat ended that.

We have never discouraged or in any way frowned upon people sharing the info they find, good for them. Many times, when they post something we found useful, we would jump in and add something they did not have as "Payback". However, that has been few and far between. There is little we do not know about the parts.

So GOD SPEED! Share away! Good for you. The point of this was to explain my comment, and respond to the inference of yours.

Frank

Last edited:
That's fine Frank, and I accept your position and your choice but I think you could've chosen better words to get your point across than...

No offense...but.

Some people may see this as a business, others not. I will never make light of what you brought to this community with your work on the MR MF or your pieces that you created in your profession, I have a great amount of respect for that, and those that you laboured beside to create such masterpieces.

However, to get to the core,.... I just asked a question, and I apologize if my question offended you.

Respectfully,

scratchy

Apology accepted.

No worries, it just gets old. You probably got both barrels meant for the 35 people who said worse before you. For that I apologize.

I will say this, Moe and I never agreed to what those were made of. He thought they were scratch. I made a master from real kits parts.
Moe thought it was close, but he wasn't sure.

So for me to say "IT WAS ______" would also be unfair.

Let me explain it this way re: kit info. If I said PART X was made from WHatever , and Im WRONG, some kid is going to spend money on a kit, that he might not need.

We had to be careful, on what we said. We appreciated being looked at as the authority (at the time) on the model, but it put us in an awkward position, because we would could possible provide WRONG info, thus creating needless turmoil.

So we (with fore mentioned exceptions) took a vow of silence.

Re: the rings, it was a SATURN part, and I THINK (see...here we go) part from a green tank. Gepard? You cut each and they drop right into each other.

Now, see someone is going to find those parts, tell me I'm wrong and I will feel and look like an idiot. ;-)

I dont think our info made the part map. SO I cant look it up.

I can see your point.

However, it would be wrong for anyone to take the information that is gained on these model sites and accept it as 100% accurate. There is still much research needed on the individual to confirm their choice for their own build.

I have purchased kits that where suggested where donor kits that resulted in being a "False Kits", No harm done. I discovered the error and I posted my findings so that others would learn by it. It's part of the hobby. None of us where there when this build was made, and it will be some time before this model will eventually be 100% accurate, I just hope I live to see the day.

Well...yeah.
For items we were not sure of, that is true.
However, when we handed the parts set to MR, every part we handed them was DEFINITELY used.

When the MR went into production, we were shipped Artist Proofs as part of our compensation.

I can neither confirm nor deny, an unofficial SECOND UNASSEMBLED Falcon was also received.

Lets just say that LOOKING at ALL those parts, might have removed any thought that it was economically possible to produce it as a kit.

Which is why we might have abandon such silly notions.

Good to hear you say this Frank. (y)thumbsup "what parts list?..." :lol Old school, I LOVE IT!

Yea it's a rocket part with a green part. I remember all the head banging back in the day. :) You and Moe are the MR falcon, nothing can take that away from you!

BTW I could use a set of those cast rings... Hit me up on Facebook if it's possible.

Jamie

That is your choice.

Forgive my jaded feelings on this topic, but for the last 15 years I have received many an email which basically start out like:

"Hi, Im building a falcon, can I have your parts list?"

10 years of research at the time, 1000s of dollars in buying and searching through kits. Im supposed to just HAD out the info because someone asked for it?

I think not.

I have helped when and where I chose to, and I will not have the likes of anyone chastise me for not helping further.

We put our heart and soul into helping the MR team make the falcon they produced as accurate as possible, while protecting the info we had. NOT because we wanted to play NANER NANER, because if the info got out, RARE expensive kits would become RARER and MORE EXPENSIVE.

Helping MR was our way of letting EVERYONE benefit from the work we put into this model, while protecting our investment.

So we DID out part. I owe NOTHING to anyone else. If they do not like my feelings regarding this subject. Tough.

We have seen many folks start falcons, few have gotten past cutting out a pattern.
So alot of people drive up prices to kits, and accomplish nothing.

There HAVE been few exceptions. THEY know who they are, as what MANY of you do not know, is we HAVE helped folks at various times, always with the condition that HOW we have helped them remain a secret. NOT what we told them, but the fact we Helped at all.

By the way, I answered EVERY email I ever got with:
"Show me your progress, and I will help you where I can"

If they had build something that resembled a falcon, I helped. If they had PLANs and a cut up sheet of styrene, I did not.

ONE person wrote me back with actual progress. Morten Moeslund, and not only did we help each other, we became great friends.

Another person wrote, I helped him, and then he sold all our info and parts (at the time) to someone else.

THat ended that.

We have never discouraged or in any way frowned upon people sharing the info they find, good for them. Many times, when they post something we found useful, we would jump in and add something they did not have as "Payback". However, that has been few and far between. There is little we do not know about the parts.

So GOD SPEED! Share away! Good for you. The point of this was to explain my comment, and respond to the inference of yours.

Frank

Hi guys, just to add a couple of more cents to this topic. I truly believe that we should help others who wish to build a subject. I also don't think it's right for someone to demand a list of kits and automatically being provide with that list. It's just that I have seen so many hobby shops close down and what scares me most is not having any kits to buy because all the manufacturers have closed their doors also. I also think this forum is a fantastic resource. Most threads are quite constructive and contain a wealth of information on any given subject. At the same time it is also the prerogative of any person to share or not share info. Frank I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were withholding anything. Reading your older posts I've always had the impression of you being a helpful and respectful guy. All I was saying was that I don't think there is any point in searching for those parts because I believe they were scratched. I hope that the fact that you were asked to help MR develop their replica was a small form of compensation for all those years research and monetary investment you put in for all those years. I can only speak on my personal experience in that I have shared all of my IDs for the snowspeeder with another member and he in turn has helped me with IDs and even provided me with parts. It's been a great experience. He's also a really cool guy. So to me the collaborative effort has really paid off. His replica is looking fantastic and mine has also greatly benefited.

Yep. Same experience I had with Moe. I also was also lucky enough to meet and become good friends with Tim Ketzer. However, we met discussing lightsabers!

Hi guys, just to add a couple of more cents to this topic. I truly believe that we should help others who wish to build a subject. I also don't think it's right for someone to demand a list of kits and automatically being provide with that list. It's just that I have seen so many hobby shops close down and what scares me most is not having any kits to buy because all the manufacturers have closed their doors also. I also think this forum is a fantastic resource. Most threads are quite constructive and contain a wealth of information on any given subject. At the same time it is also the prerogative of any person to share or not share info. Frank I wasn't trying to insinuate that you were withholding anything. Reading your older posts I've always had the impression of you being a helpful and respectful guy. All I was saying was that I don't think there is any point in searching for those parts because I believe they were scratched. I hope that the fact that you were asked to help MR develop their replica was a small form of compensation for all those years research and monetary investment you put in for all those years. I can only speak on my personal experience in that I have shared all of my IDs for the snowspeeder with another member and he in turn has helped me with IDs and even provided me with parts. It's been a great experience. He's also a really cool guy. So to me the collaborative effort has really paid off. His replica is looking fantastic and mine has also greatly benefited.

One thing to keep in mind, Scratchy, that while Frank is incredibly talented, experienced, informed, generous (when he wants to be), and all around rad and tubular, he is not one for flowery prose. He writes plainly, concisely, manner-of-factly. Much of it will be misspelled. But the simply stated point is there. If he says "good for you", there is no sarcasm behind it, and one need not interpret the lack of smilies, warm fuzzies, or apologetic phrasing as contempt or malice.

Usually. ;)

He's among those here you definitely want on your side. :)

Treadwell, this conversation was put to rest earlier today, I think it would be best to get this thread back on track for what it was intended for.

I can't remember part IDs after a while either. Drives me bonkers that I don't label the kits I buy.

The single best thing you can do in this hobby is stick to your current build and finish it before starting ten more. I made a deal with my brain to do that this year, and so far, it's REALLY gratifying to put dusty half-builds to bed, or at least dusted and in the queue...

Frank, you remind me of one of my favorite roommates from my 20s. He was always a great sounding board, because he was so plain spoken and unvarnished with his opinion.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back