Conan's Sword (the Original movies)

Here is Arnold's hero sword he owns. He had it on display in his office when he was the Governator.
53050115.jpg

That is cool.

Haha, sorry, I should've clarified that.
Yes, they're Ron Cobb's (production designer for Conan: The Barbarian) original drawings for both "Father" and "Atlantean" movie swords, they're on the DVD aswell... though yes, in a much smaller size.
( i guess i used a screencap to try to hunt it down)

I'm a freak for the Father sword, and would like to make a reproduction some day (using different materials, definitely not metal) because Albion's so damn expensive. (3,000 USD, if I recall correctly)

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, though. xD

EDIT: Just (!!) found out that the illustrations come from Cobb's book Colorvision. But daymn, somebody's gotta have a good digital file of that (i.e.: not a book scan).

Last edited:
As you can see from Ron Cobb's drawings, he designed every single detail of these swords. The two primary people responsible for making the swords did a superb job of making them, but these are Ron's designs.

Jody Samson always gets (and took) credit for these two swords, but Jody just made the blades from Ron's drawings. Someone else added Ron's art to the blades. Tim Hutchthausen and Ralph Massey did the hard work of sculpting the hilt parts and casting them in bronze, but most of the sword building credit should go to Tim. He is the man who translated Ron's designs into 3D, and assembled the swords.

I always loved these two swords, and Ron was one of my heroes growing up. Marto also makes replicas Spain. The blades are not as nice, or accurate as Albion's, but they are pretty close.

Last edited:
Here is Arnold's hero sword he owns. He had it on display in his office when he was the Governator.
53050115.jpg

AFAIK, that's not the screen used hero sword, but Albions #1. Milius owns a screen used hero Atlantean and Fathers Sword, he borrowed them to Albion at the time they created the replicas. There was green patina on the bronze parts, Albion removed some of it. I do remember watching a German TV special about Arnold many years ago (before his time as Gouvernator), and in one part he showed some of his props in his office, a Red Sonja sword and a fibreglass Atlantean, which looked more like it came from the set of Conen the Destroyer. So does he really own one of the original CtB hero swords?

Yeah, not a hero. Rumor is Arnold no longer has the hero Atlantean he had from Conan. Lost, stolen, or what-have-you.

That is VERY cool :cool to see, I hope they use the original to make the props for the new Conan film (fingers crossed) :)

Interesting timing, but an original drawing of Conan's sword just appeared on Propstore...

Full size 1:1 hand drawn/airbrushed and signed by Cobb in '81 (tho not this exact one, it's even better looking)... I'm impressed it's still around, and whoever owns it is selling... :cool

Ron Cobbs Original Artwork Of Conans Atlantean Sword

While we're on the subject, does anybody know where these drawings come from? And if there is a better resolution floating around?

click for larger version (1995 x 1851px, 2.5MB)

The Cobb sword designs are simply THE Swords. Period. Last word.
Done. No swords are better looking in the history of everything!

Last edited:
That's so cool, thanks for posting that Rik and Nick.

I wonder if Ron Cobb intended to have colors in the sword hilt, jewels in the dragons' mouths, etc.

this... MAY or MAY NOT have been said already... not because i wasnt paying attention... but as i thought or have seen... it was my understanding that Arnold ACTUALLY OWNS at least ONE of the original swords that he used in one of the films he played the character in...

and as far as the "inside joke" in Arnolds new film... thats exactly what it is... an inside joke and YES it does infact look like the Conan sword... and MAY actually BE the one that Arnold himself owns...

JUST my opinion... dont shoot the messenger...

The sword in "The Last Stand" is a grossly innaccurate Conan-ish knockoff (I used to have one before I got a good Knockoff), no seadogs, round pommel etc. It's been around since 1989 or so. I laughed when I saw it in the film as I knew what it was, and it got the "point" across nicely regardless of accuracy.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back