The Mechromancer from Borderlands 2 Build (WIP)

tumblr_mhbdejGrsH1qjk0b7o1_500.jpg

I really wanted to use a real chain for her belt, but the size I needed would weigh entirely too much to use in a costume. There is a lot of other leather through the look, so I figured pulling it into the links would keep things cohesive. I made the hardware out of Instamorph and a little Rub n Buff.

More (less exciting) update pictures in the album. We tried to vacuum form the arm today, but failed because I'm cheap and trying to use found materials. :p Trying again with better suction in a week or two.

This is looking amazing so far. I want to do a Zer0 build so bad but I can't find any decent files and don't have time to do one up myself. Anyways look forward to seeing the finished product

Oh WOW...I am loving the Detail and work you are putting into this. I actually like the fact that you are adding Bondo to the foam. Never thought of that and might have to try this out.

Can't wait to see the final on the arm though...Good Job

The arm looks great. Are you going to make the tools out of foam? They could end up heavy and the cons around here are amazingly strict anymore about props.

^I wasn't planning on it- I'm already over budget. :-( I've got the real ones all banged up for my photos and will probably just go without if there is an issue at a con. You can't really see the scale, but it is a little bitty hammer that doesn't pull the belt down too much. A real piston, however, would be WAY too heavy, and will be made of foam. Foam shield, too.

I'm way too excited about getting the arm finished, so hopefully I'll be able to show how the bondo texture worked in a week or two.

Are you going to grind down or other reduce the sharp edges on the necklaces? I think those would start to hurt after a while.

I actually dremeled them down after cutting the metal with tin snips for that very reason. :) Scored them up a little bit, too, because I didn't like how clean they looked. They will still be getting a little more grime applied.

Prop update! I've been working on an Impaler shield.

483812_496556813720066_639173370_n.jpg

The door on the front is just a stand in- I need to get my LEDs situated in there before figuring out how much diffusion I need. I think it should look nice with the other hip accessories. Ready for paint!

Is that foam? Or Leather? Or a combination of both. It looks like the combination of foam and leather, but my eyesight is notoriously bad.

*immediately hits subscribe button*
This is looking so cool, girl! I'm preparing plans to do Tali from Mass Effect, and she has leg armor that I'm at a loss of how to go about doing, but the way you are doing this robot arm is giving me ideas! I can't wait to see more on that.

I've not played Borderlands 2, but I'm familiar with this character since a friend of mine is planning on making the costume. I'm super impressed with the work you've done so far and can't wait to see how it turns out - especially the arm! :)

Thanks guys, I'm glad you're digging it! The shield is foam of various thicknesses with a piece of plastic for the blade. The modge podge/ gloss paint gives it a really leathery texture! It should be much more colorful in a few days.

I spent the afternoon working on props. There are SO MANY PARTS to this costume. Got a good base going for the rocket launcher, a piston figured out, and got a more powerful shopvac.

379319_497112050331209_562628003_n.jpg

The first attempts at the arm! The one on the top was from today- we got the suction figured out, but that found plastic is just too thick. It was marketed as a white board, so it has a coating on it that keeps it from stretching correctly. We ordered some thinner, more appropriate plastic and am going to give it another shot next weekend.

On the upside, I can totally see it working after getting the right materials. I really like the texture.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back