Gravity (Post-release)

Re: Gravity

The trailer was cartoonish to me.
I've obsessed on shuttle missions my whole life since glide tests.
MMU was being flown around at a very silly rate. Anyone remember the MMU and how "fast" it moved relative to the shuttle?
Yeah. Slooooooooooooooow. Not that it was used much.
I don't think an astronaut could even keep in control trying to fly an MMU like that.

It all looks authentic as far as appearances, but the motions and frantic camera angles scream
standard issue BS from Hollywood by people that don't understand how things work in space.

I'm just too familiar to enjoy things sometimes. Armageddon was one dopey thing after another for instance.
Though if it makes people want to support NASA great, but I can't choke down this stuff sometimes.

The trailer was cartoonish to me.
I've obsessed on shuttle missions my whole life since glide tests.
MMU was being flown around at a very silly rate. Anyone remember the MMU and how "fast" it moved relative to the shuttle?
Yeah. Slooooooooooooooow. Not that it was used much.
I don't think an astronaut could even keep in control trying to fly an MMU like that.

It all looks authentic as far as appearances, but the motions and frantic camera angles scream
standard issue BS from Hollywood by people that don't understand how things work in space.

I'm just too familiar to enjoy things sometimes. Armageddon was one dopey thing after another for instance.
Though if it makes people want to support NASA great, but I can't choke down this stuff sometimes.

I'm not sure how Gravity would encourage people to support NASA. "Europa Report" was a very well made space movie. Enjoyed it immensely.

So it looks like some people are agreeing with me. I saw some of the comments up top and some people seemed interested in this movie. The trailer wasn't too specific enough to tell me what this movie will be about. Is it supposed to be sad? Suspenseful? Is it a horror movie? All that I see are two people floating off into space.

I can't wait until it comes out, it looks like an incredible movie. However, I hope that it's Sandra in the later scene where she's being dragged across the ISS while hanging on to a Soyuz capsule because it seems a little much to have her in a similar situation twice in the same movie.

After that "Detached" trailer in July, I have been avoiding all trailers to this film. And I've to wait for an additional week till October 11 for its release here.

Some of the reasons and excuses people have given online not to watch this film seems genuine, sad and at times hilarious to me.

Many will avoid this film and then will continue to complain about the lack of original films in Hollywood. Again, this concept isn't original, but it's an original sci-fi film not based on existing properties.

I loved Children of Men and I will give Alfonso Cuaron a chance any day.

After that "Detached" trailer in July, I have been avoiding all trailers to this film. And I've to wait for an additional week till October 11 for its release here.

Some of the reasons and excuses people have given online not to watch this film seems genuine, sad and at times hilarious to me.

Many will avoid this film and then will continue to complain about the lack of original films in Hollywood. Again, this concept isn't original, but it's an original sci-fi film not based on existing properties.

I loved Children of Men and I will give Alfonso Cuaron a chance any day.

In my opinion, this doesn't classify as a sci-fi film.

Well the definition of science fiction is pretty broad. This is after all not a documentary about space, it's a fictitious film about space travel, so yeah that way I still consider it as a science fiction film.

Spoiler: She doesn't get saved

Seriously though, while it's visually cool and all, which I'll agree with, I have no idea what other purpose for the story will be. They've practically showed the entire plot of the film in one trailer. It's not hard to know what happens at the end of the film. It's based off of real world technology, and unfortunately, it's not very simple or cost effective for NASA to send up a vehicle, like a shuttle, to search the vast open space.....Yea...

Spoiler: She doesn't get saved

Seriously though, while it's visually cool and all, which I'll agree with, I have no idea what other purpose for the story will be. They've practically showed the entire plot of the film in one trailer. It's not hard to know what happens at the end of the film. It's based off of real world technology, and unfortunately, it's not very simple or cost effective for NASA to send up a vehicle, like a shuttle, to search the vast open space.....Yea...

Not necessarily because if it's that also Sandra in the later part of the trailer and it takes place after the shuttle wrecking scene we see at the beginning then we know that she does get saved after the shuttle gets wrecked and she's launched into space. We know this because we see her, I think, on the ISS and later we see her, once again I think it's her, hitching a ride on the outside of a Soyuz capsule.

I'm putting this into the "diasaster survivor drama" bucket that happens to be set in Hollywood's version of earth orbit.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back