Gravity (Post-release)

Saw it last night imax 3d. Truly spectacular.
This thread was hilarious to read from the beginning after seeing the movie.
I had my doubts. I thought it was going to be a "drift in space until O2 runs out".
Bullock's acting and *** were shockingly good.

I tried very hard to avoid all reviews and spoilers. SO glad I did. It was an edge of my seat thrill ride for me.
I really did expect "open water" in space. This will crush the Oscars.
Clooney was good. He was Clooney in space, but the fun, "Oh brother where art thou" Clooney.

It is also fascinating to read the space experts chime in. It seems like they wanted to dislike it because of some of the flaws but can't help but love the film.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note. Wasn't it the Chinese who crashed two satellites together, quadrupling the amount of space junk?

Clooney was good. He was Clooney in space, but the fun, "Oh brother where art thou" Clooney.
His character was quite close to some real-life shuttle astronauts I have met over the years. The only thing about his character was that all this storytelling wouldn't have been likely, jamming up the comms like that. Also, the Commander of the shuttle never did EVAs.
It is also fascinating to read the space experts chime in. It seems like they wanted to dislike it because of some of the flaws but can't help but love the film.
A pal of mine at the Flight Crew Ops office in Houston said it best, refering to my wide knowledge base in WW2, when he said, "Well, you thought Saving Private Ryan was an amazing movie, even though you said you know the overall plot was impossible on many levels, right? That's pretty much the way everyone here thought of 'Gravity', and it didn't stop most of us from liking the movie, overall."

I've had the 2009 draft of the screenplay for a while but didn't read it until today. The script underwent some major improvements, particularly with the technical stuff. And the dialog is much improved as well. (All of Kowalski's stories were added, they made Stone less sure of herself, and they added the dead daughter. Also, Kowalski flies off into space when the tether breaks; there's no "letting go" scene.)

I was OK with the "reappearance" of Kowalski in the movie, even though I suspected it was what it was, and I'm even more OK with it now, as in the script all that exposition about the landing thrusters was Stone talking to herself. It was a little less clunky this way. In the script, as she made her way into the Shenzou capsule, she finds a frog swimming in midair, and takes it with her; later, she follows it to the surface after they land in the lake. I suspect they shot the frog scene but then cut it, but left the frog-in-the-lake shot.

Anyway, it was interesting to see the differences. If they'd just shot the script, it would have sucked.

I just got home from seeing it in 3D. I really enjoyed it! It was tense and the visuals
were amazing. Like many others have mentioned, if you go see it, make sure you
see it in 3D!

Heavy Future: Gravity Is Movie Magic At Its Finest

Gravity was stunning and gripping as I had hoped for. I made the 16 hours round trip to Bangalore to see it at PVR IMAX in 3D, not true IMAX but still the best picture quality I have seen.

Sandra Bullock gives a great and endearing performance, while George Clooney is charming as he balances out some of the tension. Plotwise the film is akin to a bottle episode but high on visual spectacle and the short 90 minutes duration of the film helps with its pacing.

Most of the film is CGI blending with live action, which was seamless including some stellar transition between different perspective shots.

Thanks to director Alfonso Cuaron, cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and the rest of the Gravity cast and crew who have delivered one of the most immersive cinema experiences of 2013.

One thing I forgot to add, it was a good chuckle when the side hatch on the Soyuz is used as a plot point. There is no side hatch on a Soyuz, except in the trainer version to get in and out easily. The movie people copied the trainer and not the real capsule in that respect. I assume they knew that, as the real main hatch couldn't have been used the way the plot called for...
All that said, I still enjoyed the movie very much.

Saw it last night.

One the best films I've seen this year. Easily the best sci-fi film of the year.
Is it a simple plot... yes. But it's about how she stays alive, and that's it.

I also like the fact that it delved into character development, without beating you over the head with it. We found out just enough to make them real people, and not so much that it felt shoe horned in.

I loved the long single shots. The pacing. The effects were astounding.

Finally got rid of the lingering Star Trek blah...

How come Clooney pronounced "Soyuz" correctly the first time and then kept saying "Soyez?"

"Soyuz... Soyooz... Soyoz... Soyez... Soyaz... Solaz... Solaris!" :lol

Seriously though, awesome movie. I've never seen a 3D movie on the big screen prior to this and I'm glad I waited till this movie came along to do it. Truly the most immersive cinematic experience I've ever had. :thumbsup

Well, I watched Gravity last week at the AMC IMAX theater here in Altamonte Springs, FL and to be quite honest I've never seen a movie like this before.
The picture was just stunning and the really long scenes were just beautiful, I couldn't see a cut in the first 8 or 10 minutes.

It was also quite relaxing to watch, most new movies having scenes of a just few seconds of length, but this was just awesome and a great new experience.

Dietrich

I think i'll like it even if i'm not a fan of the actors. I like slow paced space movies like 2001. This thing doesn't have any shakeycam in it does it?

Another thing: One of the elements that makes Gravity such a great movie is the soundtrack. I dare say it's perfect—not necessarily in terms of standalone listenability, but in its purpose. It's not your typical bombastic action movie music; it's atmospheric and eerily otherworldly, and it heightens tension like few other soundtracks I've listened to. And that backward "zzzzz-whomp-whomp" sound? Delicious. Hearing that and the rising strings and seeing the ISS getting ripped apart silently…fantastic.

I really need to get to the theater to see it again, alone.

SPOILER ALERT WARNING!!!

This is the type of film you'll either be completely wowed by it or find it a snooze. I thought it started off quite nicely moving right into the action (terrific first act) and then it was just more and more of the same, and, frankly, half way in I became a little bored despite the brief running time. I also thought the writer/director heaped on too much. It seemed more than enough to have this woman stuck in space that the debris wrecking everything after the initial segment that sets the story in motion was overkill. Its like Jack being handcuffed in Titanic. The ship sinking in freezing water was enough.

Sandy Bullock also wasn't an inspired choice. I've always liked her, and she's a great gal for comedy but heavy drama isn't her thing. I kept thinking another actor with heavy drama chops would have made the film more compelling.

Visually, the film is stunning and the 3D was used beautifully.

And if there's ever a live-action version of Toy Story, I vote for George Clooney to play Buzz.

There were two seniors sitting in front of me (theater was 99% empty) and when the film was over one turned to the other and said, "That was like going to the dentist."

Just want to see it this evening, and wow, what a beautiful movie ! The shots are simply stunning, I didn't get bored one minute, and Clooney nailed it hard, all of that with a simple yet somewhat touching story. Way above the usual fast-food movies we usually get.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back